Funniest guy of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatDubh

Refugee
I know I'm hopelessly devoted to Sparky
biggrin.gif
, but I think Larry is the funniest of all!

"It's a musical journey." (on what Rattle & Hum will be about)

"There's a thin line between interesting music and self-indulgence. We crossed it on the Passengers record."

"I look cool... I dunno about the other three... I look cool, I am cool." (Larry 1997)

(Larry scratches his foot during rehearsal
smile.gif
Someone,"LARRY - MULLEN - JUNIOR!" Larry (grins into camera),"I don't have a mic on so you don't know what I'm saying." Edge,"If I had feet like yours, Lawrence, I wouldn't want them in the film." Larry,"If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it."

(Stepping out of a plane) "Where's my car??"

"I feel like a bleedin' woman!"

"Unlike what some of the other guys were saying I loved the Elvis movies, I really related to that."

"I can't even say the bloody word: Achhhhhhhtung Baby."

"We were four guys from Dublin who didn't have a clue. We were uncool and unhip."

"You've got the album (Rattle and Hum). You've got the film, you can buy the T-shirt and next thing you know you're gonna have the video. It just seemed like we were pushing and pushing and pushing too hard."

"Coming to a rock 'n' roll gig and watching television. What more could you ask for?"

"That (the art side, i.e. the right side) side of my brain is kinda a little redundant."

"I like clarity, straight lines."

"You know there's a thin line between art and art for arts sake - you gotta be careful with that one."

"It (Passengers) was self indulgent. As a soundtrack to a movie, or two movies it makes sense. It made no sense as an album."

"There is a love between the members of this band that is deeper than whatever comes between us. After almost 15 years, which would be time for a divorce in almost any relationship, we looked at each other and said. 'Lay down your arms'."

"People say 'Why don't you do interviews? What do you think about this? What do you think about that?' My job in the band is to play drums, to get up on-stage and hold the band together. That's what I do. At the end of the day that's all that important. Everything else is irrelevant."

"I invented cool... and you're on a boat with me."

"F.O.A.D.!" (= F*** off and die.)

"If you look at the cover of The Joshua Tree, you see four very unhappy men... What nobody realizes is that it was -20 out there. We were freezing. Put any .... out there and see if he's happy."

"I'm using all this shit to my advantage. Otherwise I'm going to be looking for a job." (Larry on drum machines)

"Do you want the party line or the truth?" (Larry on why the Popmart tour will kick off in Las Vegas)

"I don't like that record." (about Passangers)

"What do you mean 'lose money in some markets'? We generally lose money in all markets." (Larry on Popmart)

"Well, it could have been an artichoke, but we wanted a more practical fruit."

"If a student with an accordion had come along, I would've played with them ya know... that was where I was at, I was that desperate to play with somebody." (about his Mount Temple days, before forming U2)

"And he looked so cool... And I just thought: I wanna to be in a band with HIM!!!" (Larry about Adam Clayton)

"I don't think the lyrics are worth a shit to be honest if you ask me, I think it's all about drums."

"I wish he hadn't been buried in the backgarden, I don't know why, it's just one of those things." (Larry talks about Elvis during a visit to Graceland)

"The day U2 stops fighting is the day that U2 will not be the band it is today."

"Boom then in... 'cause the Edge is on a completely different timing as usual." (Larry in Rattle & Hum, backstage during a gig.)

"It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." (Larry during an interview when U2 were discussing what songs they were going to sing for Popmart.)

---

In the car Bono struggles to get the TV to switch channels but it stays stuck on one of those half-hour self-help commercials. Finally, in exasperation, Bono says, "Edge, you're the scientist, can you get this to work?" Edge leans over and tries to change the station. Each time he does it clicks back to the self-help ad. This is very strange. Edge gets down and fiddles the switches with the furrow-browed dedication of Louis Pasteur at his bunsen burner, as oblivious as Bono to the fact that Larry is sitting with a remote control by his leg, clicking the channel back each time Edge tries to change it.

biggrin.gif

"Enough of this video bullshit, I'm gonna give you some culture, you know me?" (Larry at a ZooTV concert, before singing a traditional Irish song.)

Kurt Loder: "Surely there's more to it than that." - Larry: "Don't call me Shirley." (during an interview featured on U2 Raw)

"The only good thing about the references (to the Beatles), for me, is that the Beatles, like us, didn't take themselves too seriously."

"Gay clubs are the best places for us to come to. Nobody hassles us, there's not the asshole you find in other clubs who just has to get up and try to start something. They respect us and they're glad to have us. The gay community is always on the cutting edge of music. I'm proud that they like U2 and come to our concerts. They don't see in U2 the macho shit that's beneath so much rock. I have a lot of time for the gay community." (taken from 'U2 at the End of the World', Bill Flanagan, 1995)

Thanks Cat-that's a great post!

In my experience, it's the most guarded and cautious people-like Larry-who often have the best sense of humor. Esp that Irish dry-wit!!

They must all have a great sense of humor to be together all this time.

Wow, where did you find all of those quotes?

Larry rocks!!!

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Nice thread Cat! One of the things i love about these guys is their sense of humor! Larry can crack me up like the best of them!:

"The truth is, Bono is always broke, while Larry still has his First Communion money."
-Paul McGuiness

"Enough of this video bullshit, I'm going to give you some culture. Know what I mean?" -(Larry at a ZooTV concert, before singing an Irish song.)

From a broadcast in Chicago:
"What are you interested in?"
caller: "Music!"
Larry: "We've got very little interest in that. We're into lots of other things."

" My earliest memory of Larry was when we were starting off. We were at our first rehearsal in his kitchen and all these girls kept climbing over the walls and looking in the window at Larry. Larry just shouted at them "Get out!" And then turned the hose on them! Larry likes to play drums." - Bono

"Live is where we live" -LMJ, November 1997

"Larry just doesnt like it (Passengers) cause we hardly let him play the drums." - Bono

Fan named Matt: (As a fellow fan prepares to take a picture of him with Larry)
"You know Larry, I'm a drummer in a band too."
Larry: (Looks at fan and shrugs, smiling pleasantly toward the camera) "Well, Matt, we all have our problems." (After a PopMart gig)

here's just a wicked cute one I found from edge to lawrence!
Note from Edge to Larry, 1982. It said: "We have already gone to practice. Please follow us as soon as possible. We really need to rehearse!! Lots of love - Edge"

------------------
Packing a suitcase for a place...
that has to be believed to be seen

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--All New!

oh geez forgot this classic one!!
BP: IF YOU WERE AN ANIMAL WHAT ANIMAL WOULD YOU BE?

Larry: Aaah! A fly. Because Bono wrote about a fly and what's good enough for Bono is good enough for me.

lol!!
smile.gif

------------------
Packing a suitcase for a place...
that has to be believed to be seen

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--All New!

Those are funny, some of them in a cute way. It's sad but that 'buried in the backyard' thing almost cracks me up, it's just the way he says it with his cute accent and then the face he makes!

LMAO LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

yes, Larry is funny, they say the quiet ones usually are.......all the above quotes cracked me up!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!

Hey Cat, where was this one in the car????
or is that from a book!!!???

Jaysus, I have visions of Larry doing that, the sneaky little minx!!!!

Irish humour ladies, ya gotta luv it right?
Great to be surrounded by it over here!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

anyway yes, the face he makes about Elvis, ach no, was he not crying??

aw LOL awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......

Originally posted by mad1:

Hey Cat, where was this one in the car????
or is that from a book!!!???

It's from U2 at the end of the world. Very, very funny! He might be quite but not out of ideas.

Can't really come up with any funny quotes by him right now, at least not funny taken out of the sentence.
I do found out how funny he was when I saw him in London. He told us all to move a little (we were standing in the middle of the entrance and exit from the parkinggarage to the arena and cars passed all the time) We move alittle and then we are all back again, a car comes and he tells us to move again, "if you don't wanna get runover by a car, I mean". Maybe not funny now but at the moment 1.30am after a gig, outside with about 50 fans, it was funny. Lots of other stuff he said was also funny but I can't really remember

Great thread, Larry IS cool, in his own way.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Stockholm, YEAH! " ~ Bono in Stay, Sthlm 9th july 2001

artichoke!!!!!

------------------
~*Mona*~ / ~*Moaner*~ / ~*MonaPhisto*~
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

"Thank you all for letting me rub up against you" ~BonoBaby~

"I feel like trash. I AM trash! Recycle me, baby!" ~MonaPhisto~

LMFAO!! Thanks Cat for that!! I swear Larry always cracks me up!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Were one but we're not the same... some us like the POP LOOK!" - ME!

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

yp larry is the funny man in u2.HERE is something that is new and most of you might not know.
u2all that you cant leave behind on the road mtv.
the vj asks which tour was the hardest larry says zootv, ya zootv couse it was a two year tour and an album .the vj say so that was the hardest larry says ya zootv cause there was two year tour and an album .funny shit.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

" My earliest memory of Larry was when we were starting off. We were at our first rehearsal in his kitchen and all these girls kept climbing over the walls and looking in the window at Larry. Larry just shouted at them "Get out!" And then turned the hose on them! Larry likes to play drums." - Bono LMAO!!!!!! Larry's so pretty. I love Bono's train of thought
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ / ~*Moaner*~ / ~*MonaPhisto*~
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

"Thank you all for letting me rub up against you" ~BonoBaby~

"I feel like trash. I AM trash! Recycle me, baby!" ~MonaPhisto~

Awesome CAT! Love those Larryisms!!
smile.gif

I think Bono is the funniest one outright;
Edge is has the dryest sense of humor;
Larry has THE BEST lines and zingers;
And Adam gets his share in now and then as well.

they're all hilarious when they want to be...and even when they don't mean to be...and I LOVE a man with a great sense of humor!!

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Awesome CAT! Love those Larryisms!!
smile.gif

I think Bono is the funniest one outright;
Edge is has the dryest sense of humor;
Larry has THE BEST lines and zingers;
And Adam gets his share in now and then as well.

they're all hilarious when they want to be...and even when they don't mean to be...and I LOVE a man with a great sense of humor!!

I agree!

------------------
If you know someone with Bono's nose: Contact me!

Yes I agree Larry is the funniest one...I mean it's funny because whatever he says like that is just so unexpected that you can't help but burst out laughing...I had a situation with him once which I thought was funny too...

I was talking to Larry and I just blurted out: Oh my god larry I think you're the sexiest mofo on the planet and i'm your biggest fan....mind you this was all in 1 breath....Larry paused and 5 seconds later he bursts out laughing and says "Oh you're so cute thank you, you're my #1 fan" I swear he told me this
biggrin.gif
I almost died
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
www.angelfire.com/tx2/KITIYU2

"I am a sexy mofo, what can I say?" --What Larry really says to himself when he looks into the mirror every morning

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl:

I was talking to Larry and I just blurted out: Oh my god larry I think you're the sexiest mofo on the planet and i'm your biggest fan....mind you this was all in 1 breath....Larry paused and 5 seconds later he bursts out laughing and says "Oh you're so cute thank you, you're my #1 fan" I swear he told me this
biggrin.gif
I almost died
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

When did you meet him?
biggrin.gif

I'm so glad I ventured over to PLEBA. Those were great.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

im glad i read this thread

------------------
"What fish don't know"--Marshall McLuhan

http://www.envy.nu/meisce/u2/

http://glamourpuss.blogspot.com

Originally posted by Bonoforever:
When did you meet him?
biggrin.gif

Well it's kinda a long story and I can't tell you how I talked to him but I talked to him on the phone and I told him this
smile.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
www.angelfire.com/tx2/KITIYU2

"I am a sexy mofo, what can I say?" --What Larry really says to himself when he looks into the mirror every morning

Well it's kinda a long story and I can't tell you how I talked to him but I talked to him on the phone and I told him this
smile.gif

Cool - I'm happy for you! (But dying of curiosity!)
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
I almost died
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Must...control...fit...of jealosy....arhhhh!
wink.gif

------------------
Member of Larry's Stick Keepers Association. :D

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

"He's anti anything pretentious, antianything too arty, flowery. Larry is generally going to tell you something's too long or it's
too slow or where is the melody." -Edge

"So basically your criticism is : too much bass, too many words, not enough drums."- Edge

Q: What do you do when female fans get too agressive?
Adam: We let Larry deal with those things.

BP Fallon: What is the worst thing about rock
n roll Larry Mullen Junior? Larry: Excess.
BP Fallon: What is the best thing about rock
n roll Larry Mullen Junior?
Larry: Excess.

BP Fallon: What is ZOOTV Larry Mullen junior?
Larry: Expensive.
BP Fallon: What is ZOO Radio Larry Mullen
junior?
Larry: Cheap.

"I'm a cynic about all that lovey-dovey stuff. A marriage is a partnership and you better look at it that way or you're in trouble! All that lovey-dovey business gets in the way. How's she gonna feel about him in a couple of years when he's pickin' his nose? Or when he's pickin' her nose?" -Larry!

------------------
Love is a temple
Love the higher law

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--Updated w/ new song!

Yep, it's all about the drums.

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Yep, it's all about the drums.

Ditto that.

------------------
Member of Larry's Stick Keepers Association. "It's all about drums."

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

BP: "What's the most frightening thing that ever happened to you?"
LARRY: "Being born."

I'm sure I heard Adam refer to Larry once as "The Wife" . . .
ADAM: "Well yes, When I look at the balance of the relationships in the band, it looks like that. In the sonwriting partnership of Bono and Edge I feel the Edge is the man and Bono the woman, and in the rhythm section, Larry is without doubt the man. He wouldn't have it any other way, and neither would I."

"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drum kit." - Boy George (LoL)

"I invented cool . . . and you're on a boat with me." - Larry

------------------
"Coming to a rock n' roll show and watching television, what more could you ask for?" ~ Larry
"Surely, there must be more to it than that" ~ Kurt Loder
"Don't call me Shirley." ~ Larry

"Well, the the seats are behind the stage...." ~ My dad
"So? I get to stare at Larry's ass for 2 hours!" ~ My mom

Originally posted by The Riddler:
About time Lawrence got some credit seeing as he can't compete in the uh,elevated stakes.........

Hey, Riddler......
How do we know he can't compete? We can't see him when he's sitting behind the drum kit (lol)..........

------------------
"Coming to a rock n' roll show and watching television, what more could you ask for?" ~ Larry
"Surely, there must be more to it than that" ~ Kurt Loder
"Don't call me Shirley." ~ Larry

"Well, the the seats are behind the stage...." ~ My dad
"So? I get to stare at Larry's ass for 2 hours!" ~ My mom

Back
Top Bottom