Clayton-Bono Rift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
"I would like to thank The Edge, Larry and Adam for having me in their band." -- Bono at the UK Music Hall Of Fame Induction
(notice that he mentions Clayton's name LAST)

-----------------------------------

"Alright The Edge, Larry, Nick Andy - alright fellas .. well let's go." --Bono at the BBC Concert introducing All Because Of You
(notice that he OMITTED Clayton's name)

-----------------------------------

Other items to point out:
-Bono and Edge deemed the album ready on October 2003, but Clayton together with Mullen rained on their parade and delayed it another year. This is as narrated by Time magazine. (perhaps this caused the rift?)

-Back in 1984, Clayton tagged along with Bono in Bandaid. Now in 2004, Clayton did not accompany Bono in Bandaid20. (perhaps Bono was behind an elaborate scheme to exclude Clayton from the invite list?)

-U2 have already done in one form or another 7 of 11 songs from HTDAAB. But they haven't done Clayton's acknowledged favorite song "A Man And A Woman." (if the singer refuses to sing it, they can't play it - perhaps Bono is sending Clayton a message by refusing to play the song)

----------------------------------

First we ask: is there a rift at all between Bono and Clayton?

If yes, here are the follow-up questions: What do you guys think about this rift? How should U2 address this? How does this affect your expectations, as fans, of U2's upcoming tour?

If there is no rift, then no need to reply to this thread.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
e edge said:
i've asked you this question once jick, but didn't get the answer:

WHY DO YOU HATE ADAM SO MUCH??!!

maybe you're just jealous and would like to be like him....

I don't hate him at all. Without him, there'd never be the U2 signature songs that are bass-driven like New Year's Day and With Or Without You. Simple A-D chord structured repetitive songs like Bad and All I Want Is You are brought to life by Clayton's bass guitar playing. I was disappointed that Clayton didn't get invited to be part of BandAid20. It is just beyond me why some people think I hate Clayton. I love the guy's music playing and that is all that matters. His private affairs and indulgences are just that ...private, so it's none of mine or anyone else's business. So please, let's not ascribe hate to others when hate is not availing.

Cheers,

J

verte76 said:
jick, your UFO is ready. :wink: (I have a notoriety on at least one U2 listserver for my UFO joke stories, actually starring our very own jick). They are on a web site in case anyone cares.

http://scholar76.tripod.com/ufostories/

No calculations in this post. Just some observation and a possible hypothesis. But math was one of my favorite subjects back in the day, but since I was good at it, I didn't need a calculator.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

No calculations in this post. Just some observation and a possible hypothesis. But math was one of my favorite subjects back in the day, but since I was good at it, I didn't need a calculator.

Cheers,

J

I know, it was just a silly joke. I actually got some traffic on that site before the idiots pulled the plug on the counter. :mad:

Maybe you've focused so much on the negative "signs", that you've completely ignored all the positive things between them.

So what if Bono and Adam have had some disagreements. If you ask me this is much ado about nothing, or something pretty damned insignificant.

I think Clayton never knew Bono existed until he got his laser eye surgery.

He always thought U2 was a threesome with the Edge singing.

They just need some time to warm up to each other.

The OOTS said:
I think Clayton never knew Bono existed until he got his laser eye surgery.

He always thought U2 was a threesome with the Edge singing.

They just need some time to warm up to each other.

:D :D :D

karmic_postmark said:

I think Kelly would agree :yes:
jick can post here anytime if it draws
handsome men like U2_Neat into PLEBA. :sexywink:

PLEBA likes me!!!
I Love PLEBA girls, too, they have the best taste in music!!! :sexywink:
no PLEBA girls in Athens so far though.... :(

(thank you for your kind words, ladies! :kiss: :kiss: )

Last edited:
Adam had a long talk with me about his rift with Bono, but he veered off and started talking about the major rift Jick was having with Larry.

Seems that Jick thought he was a better drummer than Larry (and better looking), and Larry almost ran down Jick with his Harley. Things haven't been the same between those two since.

Jick has then vented his frustrations through his posts on Interference.com, while Larry has taken the more productive approach of making great albums with his band, now that Jick will never be the fifth member.

Since then, Jick has been trying to start infighting, whispering rumours to Bono of how Adam doesn't like how he smells after smoking, and then whispering to Adam that Bono doesn't like the fact that Adam no longer drinks with the band.

Hence, the current rift.

All this "Larry wants to leave the band" "Bono - Clayton Rift"
It is kinda like "u2- the junior high years"
What is next - "Edge is upset with Bono because he didn't pick him first for kickball"
to end the suspense - he picked larry first:)

Back
Top Bottom