Adam and Lucy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
Thanks girls, for your kind reviews. :love: Love you all! :hug:

Sequel to "Surprise!"

:reject: Still not sure about this.

Disclaimer: Not true, never happened, Don't know the band or their families, never been to London.

Bit of rough language. Just a warning.
-----

"So, what are you going to name her?" Bono asks over the phone. I sigh. Adam and I had been squabbling over names since we found out we were having a girl. "Lucy? Still with me?"

"Yeah, I'm here. Adam and I just can't agree on one. I would like to give her an Irish name, but Adam thinks he won't be able to pronounce it."

"What does he want to name her?"

I look in on Adam, still sleeping on the sofa. "He doesn't know. He just doesn't like any name I come up with." I go downstairs to get the laundry from the dryer.

"He's stubborn, Luce. You know this as well as I do. Invite Edge and Morleigh over for dinner or something. Adam confides in Edge, so Morleigh might be able to tell you what's going through his head. I bet he's just scared. I was terrified when Ali was nearly due with Jordan." I stop folding one of Adam's shirts.

"I hadn't thought of that. Good point."

"Relax, Lucy In The Sky. Adam will sort himself out. He always does," Bono hangs up and I drop the phone into the basket. I gather up the rest of Adam's tour clothes and take them upstairs to our bedroom. I'm putting socks in a drawer when Adam walks in the room and kisses me.

"Hey, love," he sits on the bed and looks in the basket. "Did you carry all this up three floors?"

"No. The Ghost of Christmas Past did," I reply, grinning.

"Lucy! You shouldn't be doing things like this in your condition." He pulls me over to the bed and I sit next to him. "Why didn't you wake me?"

"Because you just got home last month and two days ago you went with me to the doctor and ever since you've been sort of moping around. I did the laundry the entire time you were gone."

"Well, I'm doing the laundry from now on," Adam picks up the basket and starts putting things away. "You just sit there and take care of yourself and her." I watch him open every drawer in the chest looking for his socks, "Now where the bloody--oh. In they go."

I stand up and put my arms around him as best I can. "It's okay if you're scared, Adam. So am I. I've never been somebody's mum before. How do I know I won't screw it up?"

Adam turns, kisses my forehead, then breaks out of my grip and takes the empty laundry basket and the phone downstairs.

"You are impossible, Adam Clayton," I whisper to myself and call Morleigh. She and Edge came over for dinner a few weeks later, and Adam and I were still squabbling, but not just over names now. Everything turned into an argument.

"Are you really going to serve that wine with dinner? Why don't I go get the Pinot Grigio from the cellar. It would go better than this Chardonnay," he said, looking over the bottle.

"If you want the Pinot, then go get it. I'm keeping the Chardonnay because I know Morleigh likes it," I reply, setting the table.

"But there's no sense in having two bottles of white wine," Adam insists.

"Then go get the Pinot. Who's stopping you?"

"Why are you yelling at me?"

"Why are you making a big deal out of which wine I brought upstairs?"

"You went into the cellar again? Lucy, you know I'm not comfortable with that."

"You're right. Why should I be able to go where I want to in my own house?"

Adam rolls his eyes. "You are not going to pout over that all through dinner, are you?" I walk out of the dining room, ignoring him. "And you call me impossible!" he calls after me. Luckily, Edge and Morleigh arrive soon and Adam and I don't have to talk to each other.

"So are you excited?" Morleigh asks, sitting in Edge's lap. They could both see the tension between Adam and I and after we had greeted them, we'd been silent for an uncomfortably long time.

"Trying to be," I say before Adam can respond. He looks over at me, then at his feet.

"This is going to be interminable," Edge mumbles in Morleigh's ear, then nudges her off his lap. "C'mon, Sparky. Let's go have a smoke, eh?"

Edge and Adam head outside and I go in the kitchen and open the window a crack so I can hear their conversation. Morleigh joined me.

"What happened?" Edge asks.

"I dunno. She got pregnant. She's been different since we got back from the Australasian tour." Adam wasn't talking very loudly. "I just want Lucy back. Cause the girl that's snapping at me over every little thing isn't Lucy."

"She'll be better once the baby's born. She's just got a lot on her mind. How long until she's due?"

"A few months? Her doctor said something about 34 weeks. What does that mean?"

"That means you have about a month or so before that baby is here."

"Fuck, that was ages ago," Adam whispers. "This is too soon. What if I can't do this? What if I'm not cut out to be a father?"

"Adam, you're freaking out. But that's okay. We all do it," Edge puts his hand on his shoulder.

"What if we can't work things out and she gets really mad and leaves me one day?"

"You love her, don't you?" Edge stamped out his cigarette.

"Of course," Adam shrugs.

"No, that's an easy, bullshit answer. Do you love Lucy?"

"Yes," Adam says firmly. "I love her, I love my daughter. I'm just tired of fighting with her. What do I do? She's been doing just fine on her own while we were on the other side of the planet for four months and I come back and it all goes to shit. God, maybe she should leave."

"You don't really think that, do you?" Edge asks. I miss Adam's response as I go to the back door and hug Adam tight.

"I don't want to leave," I mumble in his shoulder, starting to cry.

"I would hope not," he pats my back, then suddenly lets me go and looks at his feet. "What's that?"

"Er, that would be her water breaking," Edge chimes in.

Adam smiles at me for a second, then it dawns on him. "Oh, bugger."

Back
Top Bottom