Would it be a good idea for U2.com to announce plans for the GA line BEFORE San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
they should announce a uniform policy for every arena, and announce it ahead of time. it would just solve any problem before it happens.

frankly... they should start giving out numbers ahead of time, and then let people go, and then start the line up again at like 5pm, according to your pre-assigned number.

:shrug: this is how letterman does it, but he's only dealing with like 600 people in the ed sullivan theatre, not the 1800 people lining up for the GA line at a u2 concert.

headache in a suitcase, i always appreciate your sensible posts!! thanks for being clear headed...and getting the point of my thread.

mel:rockon:

for those that say it's a waste of time...good, the rest of us will see you late in the afternoon on the 28th. :wave:

for those that say..."we got there in the last hour before doors and walked right into a great spot"...you are probably the same :censored: that we all know and love so well who didn't "walk" into a great spot but rather pushed their way in. :shame:

for those of you that think U2 do not want to see the same faces....well, i can't say anything nice so i won't say anthing at all...believe what you will, but after my many experiences over the course of time, i'll choose to strongly disagree...:rolleyes:

finally, i'm not asking if we should or should not wait out or for how long. this thread was supposed to be about whether or not everyone thinks that they should make a formal announcement one way or the other!

mel

popbellydancer said:

for those that say..."we got there in the last hour before doors and walked right into a great spot"...you are probably the same :censored: that we all know and love so well who didn't "walk" into a great spot but rather pushed their way in. :shame:

Nice generalization there. :|
Look, I'm one those who said we got there a couple of hours before the doors opened and I was very serious when I said we walked to our spots without a problem.
From my experiences with GA, I think that perpetuating the myth of people being unable to get a good spot if they don't arrive at the crack of dawn is just wrong.
IMO, the only true benefit of getting to the show early is getting a chance to meet the people you're waiting in line with and having a dang good time. Because, let's face it, U2 puts on a great show no matter where you are in the building, except maybe the concession area or restrooms...:wink:

Regarding "the band seeing the same faces night after night, city after city", Bono must feel like William Shatner at a Star Trek convention... at some point he must be ready to say "get a life" to these fans.

They appreciate the support but I'm sure if asked, they would say "go see the city, visit a muesum, read a book, donate some funds to needy causes instead of following us around and spending your days and nights queueing up outside a sports arena". U2 play essentially the same show night after night - they are not the Greatful Dead or Bruce Springsteen where 10 nights means 10 different shows.

tytrevdad said:
Regarding "the band seeing the same faces night after night, city after city", Bono must feel like William Shatner at a Star Trek convention... at some point he must be ready to say "get a life" to these fans.

They appreciate the support but I'm sure if asked, they would say "go see the city, visit a muesum, read a book, donate some funds to needy causes instead of following us around and spending your days and nights queueing up outside a sports arena". U2 play essentially the same show night after night - they are not the Greatful Dead or Bruce Springsteen where 10 nights means 10 different shows.

to each his own.

For GA in San Diego since camping is not allowed we can wait on the sidewalk or on the other side of the arena GA entrance at the Gas Station or the Taco restaurant. Thats how it will work out since other venues allowed this on Elevation like Wachovia Center, American Airlines Arena in Miami, and Phillips Arena. I will probably be the first one in line. Yes I will not post on interference or u2.com boards when it will start nor will I show a picture of myself. Also I recommend no one from posting what time you arrived in line for any of the upcoming shows or we will have a GA Lottery later on during the Vertigo Tour.

Last edited:
tytrevdad said:

AND JUST HOW MANY SHOWS ARE YOU GOING TO????

Look, I have been to my fair share of shows and I have seen Bono take up the same girl at more than one show. Linda from Argentina, Melissa PopBellydancer, Miami Girl Melissa from DC, just to name a few. They have all been on stage numerous times b/c of Bono.

I have even seen him give the same guys attention on numerous nights. For example, Tatoo Dan from NYC has been pulled on stage by Bono several times.

I have never once seen the band look down on any fan for going to more than one show. In fact, I wouldn't be a fan if they weren't as nice as they are to fans. Part of what makes them wonderful is how they embrace their fans.

Now, I have heard of some well-known fans of the band "bad-mouthing" the band all over message boards and local newspapers. Maybe, the band doesn't want to see them b/c the loyalty once shown by these long-time fans just flew out the window when things turned ugly on the presales. But the band made amends for that, if they didn't care about their fans they would not have gone through the trouble.

But you know what, I'm not U2. I can't really say whether or not they are tired of anyone. I can only go on personal experience and I have never seen them upset to see the same faces night after night.

Super_Fan said:
For GA in San Diego since camping is not allowed we can wait on the sidewalk or on the other side of the arena GA entrance at the Gas Station or the Taco restaurant. Thats how it will work out since other venues allowed this on Elevation like Wachovia Center, American Airlines Arena in Miami, and Phillips Arena. I will probably be the first one in line. Yes I will not post on interference or u2.com boards when it will start nor will I show a picture of myself. Also I recommend no one from posting what time you arrived in line for any of the upcoming shows or we will have a GA Lottery later on during the Vertigo Tour.

If you line up across the street though then how do you make sure that you get in line before people that just show up in the morning?

Super_Fan said:

How are you planning on making yourself known as the first part of the line? Once the line is established like 40 or so people it will be obvious, it is "creating" the line that is the hard part. Also, waiting on the sidewalk on the same side as the venue IS a possiblity. We will probably have to see what works best and how the Venue's security is reacting. I will look for you there.

spinninghead77 said:

If you line up across the street though then how do you make sure that you get in line before people that just show up in the morning?

Basically you try to line up at the venue...the security will probably kick the line off of the property until a certain time in the morning...Then you tell them you are establishing a line across the street...They will come in the morning and walk you on the property in line....I experienced this at multiple venues during the Elevation tour.

1. As much information as possible, as early as possible would be a good thing.
2. Anyone who doesn't believe U2 (or at least PM) has an opinion on U2 fans seeing show after show from the front row should read his written passage in the U2 SHOW book. Now this could just be his opinion but it came across, to me, as something that has at least been discussed between them. (and I say this to take nothing away from the band; just to make the point)
3. That guy from Seattle has been sent packing. Yes, it seems the Seattle Police will not accept someone bringing a couch etc. onto a city street 3-6 months prior to the opening of the final installment of Star Wars. Let's hope (for some of you) that the San Diego GA line 'authorities' are more forgiving. ;)

Ryan

p.s. exceptions to point #2 in my post: beautiful women. I'm sure they don't mind that at all. (So I don't think you can use that as evidence :) )

Last edited:
Super_Fan said:

Yes - everyone should post the time they arrive in line.

Re: Would it be a good idea for U2.com to announce plans for the GA line BEFORE San Diego

popbellydancer said:
Just curious, who thinks that it would be a very good idea for U2.com to announce the security plans for the Ga line PRIOR to the first show? I.e., will there or will there not be a raffle to enter the building, which in years past has been on a first come first serve basis. Reasons it would be advantageous to do so....

1. The obvious...enquiring minds want to know!

2. Those of us w/jobs can work right up to the 28th, and not have to take as much time off of work as we had expected.

3. Let's face the truth....those of us who are used to lining-up overnight will do it one way or the other...rumours or not, because they may be just that....rumours! And it will also prevent a lot of people from being pissed off that, after having waited for hours or days in line, they may be put to the back of the line due to a raffle at 3pm the day of, which in my opinion will only add insult to injury after the ticketing fiasco.

All I keep thinking about is Elevation Boston #2....and how if the powers that be thought that those fans were angry, they probably ain't seen nothin until they impose a last minute/slightly rumoured raffle after fans have not just waited overnight but quite probably for days on end.

And the other thing is that we all know there may be a rumour of raffle, but it's not gonna stop anyone from lining up if the info only comes from Ticketbastard Canada....it has to come from U2.com for any of us to consider it a reliable source!

Who's with me on this?
Melissa :shrug:

The system worked fine last time. Why penalize people who are willing to go through all the hassle of camping out to get into the heart with a raffle system?

I think people who are willing to make the considerable effort to wait in line that long, to include using vacation time for work to do so, deserve to be at the front.

Johnovox said:

Yes - everyone should post the time they arrive in line.

That will create a GA Lottery for the 3rd leg of the Vertigo Tour. Thats a Big No No. I will compromise what I previously stated before but the first 60 to 80 people in the GA line should not post what time you arrived in line it depends how it goes for the first full month of the tour. I say the big shows like the first LA, first San Diego, all weekend shows, Boston, MSG, and PHilly will have long GA lines. I can't control your actions or opinions but the consequences of posting your time and position in line will hurt the GA Line for other fans and shows in other cities that U2 hits up in May and when they come back to the states in the Fall possibly.

Super_Fan said:

That will create a GA Lottery for the 3rd leg of the Vertigo Tour. Thats a Big No No. I will compromise what I previously stated before but the first 60 to 80 people in the GA line should not post what time you arrived in line it depends how it goes for the first full month of the tour. I say the big shows like the first LA, first San Diego, all weekend shows, Boston, MSG, and PHilly will have long GA lines. I can't control your actions or opinions but the consequences of posting your time and position in line will hurt the GA Line for other fans and shows in other cities that U2 hits up in May and when they come back to the states in the Fall possibly.

The way you obsess about the integrity of your precious GA line is somewhat disturbing.

Post what time you show up. Who cares? I don't think a few posts on a fan forum will force a lottery. And if they do, it's not an issue. You're acting as if the GA line is more important than the bloody concert.

Back
Top Bottom