Petition to U2 and U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been a fan since under the age of 10! and have been to popmart and elevation and lastnight i have paid the 40 dollars so i can get the presale. If i would have know of the bad lack of organization and problems i would have not wasted my hard earned hard needed 40 dollars since i am a student living on my own! I sinceryly hope everyone gets what they want and deserve and i hope that thios fiasco is over come the presales for the vancouver show!

Good luck everyone!
nothing has yet happened to me but then again presales didn't start here yet but if the problem persists and seeing all the problems here I will add my name too.

We should demand for:

1. more presale tickets to those who were unfortunate not to be able to get any

2. our 40 dollars back that many people paid for the presale feature which doesnt even work

3. an apology for all the problems caused

4. BUT most importantly they should gurentee us all tickets! cos whats more upseting if we dont get presale tickets is that we may miss out on the concerts while other people who may not be as devoted fans will get the show before the true hardcore fans

U2 Please do something to fix this problem!

Nico

I wonder if the band members will be paying attention to this. They (well, at least Larry) are supposed to be fairly involved in some of these decisions, aren't they?

The best i'm hoping for is that they don't deal with Ticketmaster on the next leg or maybe even the next tour.

As Bono says, it's because of us he and the rest of the gang have millionaire lifestyles.

But, hey u2, if there are two crap pre-sales in a row, i say you should definitely pack it in!

I'll be happy to sign the petition. I've been a Propaganda member for 12 years, only to be screwed and robbed. Not sure this will do anything at all. It certainly won't get me tickets at face-value, but it doesn't hurt.

Eric S

All I have to say is f-you U2! I tried at 10 a.m. to get general admission, and they were ALL gone!!! I'm not paying $100+ for nosebleed seats at the United Center, nor will I pay some asshole on Ebay.

I guess the only good thing is that I only got half-screwed, and only had to pay $20 for my Propaganda subscription.

Oh yeah, F-you to Paul McGuinness as well.

It is totally disgraceful.

And you know, it wasn't even a matter of if you could pay more, you got better seats. That in a way is more logical to me than saying your are lowering your GA ticket prices "for the fans" but then screwing them by not letting all of those tickets go to the fan club. It makes no sense. This way seems like they are trying to make themselves out to be the nice guys who care about the fans, when in actuality, there true fans got the shaft.

I too wrote to U2.com. We'll see what happens.....maybe if everyone writes something will change.

I'm at a loss

For the first time in my life I actually have a feeling of contempt for U2, and i hate it. U2 has always been that constant thing for me. If I felt like crap I could put in a U2 album and all would be erased, but what do you do when the one thing you usually can turn to, turns out to be the thing that makes you feel like shit? I've always been willing to pay a little more for a U2 concert that I wanted see, as I live in a state they have never played and always have to pay for plane tickets and hotels or rental cars, etc...but what happened today actually makes me sick. I was a propaganda member (I loved it and never had any problems), but as soon as u2.com came around it's been nothing but a tug of war. I got my prop card in the mail only to find out the code on my card didn't give me the discount, so I called fanfire, emailed U2.com, emailed fanfire, etc... Finally after 2 months a few emails and over a dozen calls somebody was finally able to help me, and I was able to sign up for u2.com. When I saw it was going to be a presale through ticketmaster I had my doubts, but I figured somehow, someway, U2 wouldn't set this up if it wasn't going to work. Boy was I wrong. I don't have to tell you all the problems both myself and my husband had because we've all heard them. But we basically ended up ticketless and cannot use our codes for anything else. I have put so much of my heart, time, and energy into this band (not to mention tons of money). A band I truly believe in. And you know what, it's not so much the tickets, because there usually always ends up being a way to get the tickets you want, it's that I feel nobody in their organization cares truly anymore about the fans. It's like they've gotten from us what they need. They're the hottest band in the world again, and they don't need us anymore. I know that seems radical, and I don't want to believe it, but I felt it brewing during the last tour, and now there are tons of scalpers with tons of ga tickets and the only way they got those is through the promoters i.e. clear channel, fanfire, and the venues. My husband used to work for ticketmaster and he doesn't even understand it. I will always love U2's music, because that's what it all comes down too, and I feel lucky to see them live, but what I truly loved was the sense of community I felt with the fans and seeing the band sign the autographs and take the time to actually talk to the fans. It was like they were so thankful we were there. Anyway, that's my ranting for the day. It may not make much sense. Although I'll probably be over it tomorrow, today I feel betrayed by my most favorite thing in the world. Take care all, I'm sure it will work out in the end. Cheers !

What more can i say other than what has allready been said ? I too have been a fan longer than i care to remember (1985)and it's a long time since i felt this let down by ANYTHING it really is a shame that the greatest rock n roll band in the world treat their legions of fans in this manner anyone who knows anything about trying to buy tickets for any gigs by a major artist in the u.k knows that ticketmaster are a complete sambles at the best of times what the hell sort of response did they expect from the u2 fan community did they think their would be only a couple of fans trying to get tickets today? they are a joke and i kind of expected it what i was not ready for was the lack of help from u2.com unfortunatly they seam to care about as much as ticketmaster not alot i dont want apologys i want some fucking tickets you jokers i for one will be insisting on my $40 back so i can donate it to someone who NEEDS IT .........................roger@u2.com

This is the first time that I have ever written onto a forum of any kind. I have been a U2 fan since 1983 when I was 13 and have seen them in concert over 20 times now. This includes instances when I have had to camp out overnight at venues to get tickets.

I was also a subscriber to Propaganda and paid my $20 to subscribe to U2.com. I think I can safely say that I am one of those who has helped to make their life 'great' to use Bono's word.

I am one of those unlicky many who had their pre sale access code blocked due wbesite problems at U2.com / Ticketmaster in Europe.

I have 2 gripes. Firstly, this whole ticketing situation is nothing short of an absolute disgrace. At best it is downright negligent by the band or people who are bloody close to them!

Secondly, the ticket prices in the UK are ridiculous! The cheapest ticket is £55 before ticketmaster take their well earned (!??!) cut. All I can say is that they had better be on absolutely magnificent form every night because they will find that the audience is somewhat less forgiving of the more average performances after being fleeced like this.

Apologies for the downbeat tone of this, it's just that after 22 years of loving everything that a 'fan's band' has done, it's extremely disappointing the wake up and find that they have forgotten how life is for the mere mortals among us .

Agree with all of the above. $40 for access to the worst seats in the house. Shameful.

Add us to the growing list. First time ever I cannot even stand to play one of their CDs today. I'd rather listen to the shite on the radio.

Was only offered GA tickets when we need seats. How come other people had the opposite experience? Didn't get chance to purchase because our code was invalidated. So, like many others, we have no code, no tickets, no reply to our e-mails and no energy left. A day off work, and now only thing left is the prospect of e-bay (forget it, I have principles, even if the band don't) or chancing the general sale on Friday. Oh yeah, and ticketmaster are selling the England football tickets at the same time. Nice planning.

This is an awful mess. One of the things I always admired about this band was their ability to remain true to themselves and not get too caught up in their own hype. It's starting to look like they have lost it all now. I can't respect that.

I can only think of the word "fuck" at the moment. So Fuck.

Add my name, but I don't think it will help too much. Sure, Ticketmaster screwed the whole thing up, but they have a history of doing it, and not just for U2....I thought by Ticketmasters own low standards, today was no worse or no better than any big tours they have done in the past. And do you think U2 will really get someone else to hadle a second US leg if there is one ? I don't think so....

To me, and I don't like saying it, its really U2 who have done the fans over this time..everybody has been ripped off (yep, inluding me) with this pre-sale. They say they are only allowed to set aside 10% of seats per show for pre-sale, but if you want the best for your loyal fans, then why not set aside the whoe GA for each show. Then effectively we are paying about 70 bucks (after coughing up to U2.com) for what we perceive to be the best place to be for the concert...notice also how the concerts are spaced... I would not be surprised if come Saturday, Sunday or Monday (wherever you may be), you will see additional shows being added in San Diego, Anaheim, LA, Chicago, NY etc tagging onto to the first shows.....has anyone looked at the arena availability around the nights U2 are slated to play...do you really think the stage set will be so elaborate that its takes a week to move 100 miles from San Diego to Anaheim, when in Europe they will move a far bigger stage (being in a stadium in a matter of days)....

Of course, come the weekend, we will all be on-line looking for the GA seats, and will miss out on the shows we already have (if we were lucky) our 170 dollar seats for, then the extra show will pop up (courtesy of Ticketmaster) and we will all scramble again simply because we love U2....

The pre-sale for Elevation through the old U2.com got me exactly the same as I have today (and I count myself lucky in having San Diego seats), and previous tours I have done equally well....I feel sorry for everyone in Europe particularly when Ticketmaster (note through U2) tell them they still have plenty of seats left (well they do have a couple more London shows to announce)...I would take that as an insult, but hey thats me, and I sincerely hope that all my colleagues here get what they want for the show they want...as it is, this will be my last time. I have followed U2 for over 20 years (and know there are much bigger fans than me), but refuse to go through this again...the band and their management have awful short memories of the people who stood by them when their popularity faltered for the Popmart tour...did you need a ticket broker then ? Now it seems, U2 are in bed with the ticket brokers, and ensuring all the people who can profit from the tour (including themselves) should do so......I don't begrudge U2 their fame or fortune, but after today, they should be absolutely ashamed of how they have treated their fans !!! And as for Bono's constant politicking regarding debts and the greed of commercial organizations, well congratulations, because this is what you have become....see you in San Diego !!!

I haven't yet had the chance to try and purchase pre-sale tickets but I have only heard, with the exception of 2, negative stories about this whole fiasco.

It is us fans who have given Lord Bono the luxurious lifestyle he has, now they let us down and are milking us for as much money as possible and lots of fans paid for a subscription because we trusted that we were getting a good deal and that we would have a great chance of getting "the best" tickets to a show as I think was part of the spiel on u2.com. Personally without my parents help I would never be able to afford tickets for this tour and I'm sure many people put themselves in debt to follow U2 across the globe.

You know, I don't even know if it's worth forking out more money to go and see them again. Thanks for nothing, U2. :down:

Last edited:
U2 need to make this right.
I was hoping for 2 GA tickets to either San Diego or LA. I ended up buying a single nose bleed seat for San Diego and a friend of mine and I are going to try and get some tickets at a reasonable price for LA. This is such a mess!!!

Add me to the list of angry fans...and my dad too, since he's the one that had to deal with all of this in the middle of work. I've been a U2 fan since I was 9, went to Elevation, love the band more than practically anything... the only reason I really spent $40 to join U2.com was for the pre-sale. I did obtain tickets; and for that I'm glad. However, my poor dad had to go through hell during work and didn't even get the GA tickets I wanted...instead he had to spent $190 on two "nosebleed" tickets that probably are nowhere near the band... this pre-sale was total shite. I will always love and respect U2, and I know this is not entirely the band's fault (in fact, it's hardly their fault at all, mostly Ticketmaster and the U2.com website managers), but I expect some sort of reimbursement, or at least an apology! U2.com apologized to the Europeans, but what about the Americans? We had the same problems. I sure hope that the next pre-sale is conducted professionally, because this was sure as hell NOT professional.

If this was the pre-sale what you can expect from the public sale will be a hard fight ?

It will be funny If the band members tried to buy themselfs a pair of tickets in the u2.com pre-sale. So they will see how fans feel about this.

You said it sister!!!!

bonosleftone said:
Also a Propaganda member.

As a fan of this wonderful band for the formative years of my life starting in 1985 at the age of 7, I am extremely dismayed and disgusted by the lack of any caring for the people involved in this presale and U2.com membership fiasco that has occured today. What's not surprising is how widespread it's been from the code problems with the overseas fans to the downright idiocy from Ticketmaster and lack of prepartion for the influx of volume on the US end.

Every U2 tour I am there, I dont care where I sit normally just as long as I can be in the house of my lords if only for 2 hours. When U2 announced a website with a fan club and incentives included for these members I jumped on board and paid my $40 without hesitation. The most special thing about this whole subscription was the just the chance to participate in the presale.

While I did get to participate, it did not stop the absolutely wretched Ticketmaster from screwing up my order thus negating it completely at the end via because of their fault. I lost my tickets needless to say.

This is a disgrace and it falls plainly at the feet of U2 and their managment for not checking and double checking with their business associates at Clear Channel and Ticketmaster before beginning this sham of a presale, the tickets were not there like it was promised and the best tickets were so few and far between that the majority of us got stuck with horrible seats. The advertising stated that us fans would be the ones who get the best shot at the best seats, only to find out later on that only a small fraction of those seats would even be in that position. Meanwhile the ticket brokers have no problem charging the most disgusting prices for a concert perhaps in history and will gladly sell you two 49.50 face value tickets for $400 a piece. Needless to say, they seem to have plenty available.

I implore U2 and their managment to return to the old Propaganda system where the FANS actually had a legit chance at getting the best tickets and where the headaches caused by the idiotic Ticketmaster corporation can be avoided. It is your fault for choosing to go with them once again. You're a big enough corporation in your own right to handle ticketing on your own.

i'm very depressed right now.

i had high hopes of scoring GA tickets for the presale. little did i know that i would be spending an hour of my time at work, trying again and again to get through the stupid ticketmaster "internal error" in the almost futile hopes of getting tickets. after an hour of not giving up, i did get tickets, but they are nosebleed seats. i didn't subscribe to U2.com to get nosebleed seats. at least i get to see U2, but i don't know if i'll be able to really enjoy the show after this fiasco. it sucks to know that i paid an extra $40 but my chances of getting GA tickets are just the same as any guy off the street.

i think U2.com falsely advertised the presale. i'm sure that most of us were under the impression that this presale wouldn't be so difficult, especially given the past history of how propaganda handled it. and they weren't very clear about the 2 ticket limit rule.

Prop member here too, a fan since 1983... a disgusted fan at that, I can remember back in the early 90's that U2 were reportedly worth 600 million pounds, now why cant they set something up within their own organisation, a bit like prop, they can fucking afford it!

I just did a google search to find out if any other media outlet was discussing this issue. To my surprise I found dozens of articles from 2001 pre-elevation tour letters to u2.com and propoganda. The same thing happend in 2001 with pre-sales. I bought my tickets through a broker last time, but does anyone else remember being shafted with a pre-sale codes and bad ticket handling in 2001?

there weren't presale codes for the last tour, it was all done by mail with Propaganda, has been for the last 15 years.

we all were guaranteed tickets. we didn't have to deal with this.

this is common anytime you have to deal with Ticketmaster.
but in the past they were never involved, that's U2's HUGE mistake here.

I haven't tried to buy tickets yet but I am expecting the worst. I hope that somewhere, da boys from the band are busting the balls of their management staff and realizing that despite their wonderful music, this debacle has poisoned many fans respect for U2.

I don't hold the band directly accountable but they are implicitly responsible for the people they hire and their marketing decisions. In that respect, folding Propaganda and relying on Fanfire and U2.com was a huge mistake which has damaged years and years of goodwill earned by the band from its fans. It sounds like this whole affair was a classic bait and switch tactic. Offer the best cheapest tickets but actually provide the expensive shit ones which no one wants. Plus what were they thinking by having almost every show on the tour having the same presale day. I wonder how some people still have jobs due to lack of forsight. I mean this isn't the first tour U2 has ever promoted.

I agree with previous posters who suggest that all tickets should have been offered to U2.com members first and let the public pick up the rest during the general sale. The true fans are on the message boards, buying memberships and venting on fan boards, some reward for giving them a great life, huh?

Trevor Chan

BTW, Colin, great thread, I'm the Canadian dude you met in line in SLC in 2001.

There were presales for Elevation (in addition to Prop), which ended up being very similar to this, with the exception that they didn't cost $40.

I'm really angry at the way today's pre-sale was handled. To be honest, that previous comment is an understatement. I am utterly heartbroken. If other hard core fans had gotten all of the available GA seating and all that was left were nose bleeds, I would not bitch about the situation because I would know that other true fans had gotten the tickets and would appreciate them as much as I would have.

However, when GA tickets are made available before and after the pre-sale time on Ebay, and the cheapest ones start at $600, that lets me know that there is a bigger problem at work here than corporate handshaking: GREED.

I hope the band is able to impress the armored plated suits and ties standing in the GA area while true fans, like myself watch the show through our rented binoculars.

~Mitzye

I am supporting this thread, I did manage to get tickets but in a very roundabout and scary way.

I object to the prices in the UK...why does a stadium gig cost this much??

But the thing i most object to is the way they set up the presale code. My Grandmother could have told you in no uncertain terms that this was a recipie for disaster!

Feel very sorry for those who have been shafted.

Drew

Dear U2.com members,

My Interference handle is Hef4u2, and my U2.com handle is mailjeff.

I have followed the band for the last dozen years, been to all the concerts, bought the albums, and been a good fan.

I like you have helped give them the great life they tell us about.

But like you, today we were all cheated on the promises for our U2.com memberships.

This should have never happened. I know we all feel cheated and betrayed.

It is now time for us to do something as a collective, a group action. Just as Martin Luther King would advocate, power to the people.

Corporate snobs like Ticketmaster need to be stopped.

Here is our chance to do so.

We have to unite together in voice so loud that we cannot be silenced.

But we all are disconnected, in different parts of the country, different parts of the world.

However, we have the Internet to connect us all together.

The whole world hooked up to one little cable.

Five people have responded to my post ready to do something, anything.

A class action lawsuit has been mentioned, we need legal advice as to what are our rights in this case might be.

Any suggestions or opinions need to be given and turned into action.

Five needs to turn into ten, twenty, thirty, thousands of fans that were betrayed today.

My email is mailjeff@comcast.net, my handle is hef4u2

Respond back to join a petition to right this wrong.

add me to the list of dishearted loyal u2 fan..been a fan since the beginning and prop member as well..joined u2.com mostly for the ticket priority but no priority was given..logged on at 10am and at 10:01 there were NO GAs..finally at 10:17am i got 2 $165 tickets. now i should feel lucky that i got tix at all ...but these are 19th row in the corner back..i guess u2 and u2.com feel that real fans don't matter anymore and need to take a seat at the back of the arena

Back
Top Bottom