Michael Eavis says he's booked U2 for Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
He said, "i booked next year's main act today. They are one of the world's biggest bands and have a 2 in their name." It's on Ch. 4 teletext for anyone in the UK.... on page 351.

:faint:

:hmm:
U2 last played festivals in the UF days and will be on tour next year, but then again, can't think of anyone else that would fit the above description.

U2girl said:
:hmm:
U2 last played festivals in the UF days and will be on tour next year, but then again, can't think of anyone else that would fit the above description.

The Slane concerts are considered a festival though.

They are? I thought festivals were music events that go on for days, with several bands in the line-up.

U2girl said:
They are? I thought festivals were music events that go on for days, with several bands in the line-up.

Festivals have multiple acts but dont necessarily go for days. The Slane shows are festivals technically. I believe there were 4 or 5 support acts before U2 at both Slane shows. The first Slane show Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers played before U2 along with a few other artists I cannot remember. Its definately a festival, they have it every year with different artists.

I think that was just Bono and Edge, not the whole band - and they did One, not a full concert.

U2girl said:
I think that was just Bono and Edge, not the whole band - and they did One, not a full concert.

No, that was the full band. And while they did not a full concert, they did play five songs. The setlist (according to u2tours.com):

- Gone
- Mysterious Ways
- One
- Until The End Of The World
- Please

C ya!

Marty

:eek:

Ooops. Never mind that, then.

(mental note: watch out for setlist fanatics who WILL prove you wrong :laugh: )

Numb1075 said:
anyone want to fill me in on where Glastonburry is? I am assuming Europe...

Hiya, Glastonbury is in England, near Somerset (may actually be in the county of somerset). Quaint country part of England most of the year except for 3/4 days in summer (festival has just finished this weekend just gone). Anyway, its in South west England, relatively close to England/South Wales border, near Bristol.

Been before, amazing experience, camping, for 3 days, seeing many many bands of many different music genres. Normally have a headlining band which will close the festival - playing late Sunday night. If you cannot make the concernt - normally tickets for the whole festival sell for about ?130 sterling, UK TV - BBC1 & BBC 2 normally cover the event - though only main artists and its from a highlight point of view.
Tickets generally go very quickly so if U2 are confirmed, as soon as tickets go on sale, I would snap them up quickly! You can also buy tickets for a specific day also.

Hope this helps!

Andy

I heard another rumour about this, it was on local radio here, my mum heard it :)

we live about 30 min drive from Glastonbury you see... so get all the goss ;) lol...

my brother just got back from this years weekend... :rolleyes: he had a nightmare getting tickets for this year... so if the rumour ARE true... expect the internet and telephones to crash when tickets go on sale :lol: with all the glastonbury fans and U2 fans trying to get tickets LOL.

SWlondnr said:
WOW all I can say WOW I might be able to go :drool:

We'll ALL be 'able' to go, but I think it's going to it's going to be VERY difficult to get a full weekend ticket this year and U2 are hardly a closing act...though that is debatable, now is not the time...so I doubt they'll be on the Sunday.

Eavis has gone and caused us ALL a big problem a YEAR before Glasto' 2005. This year it was IMPOSSIBLE to get tickets because idiots like Paul McCartney went and said 'Oh, I'm playing this year...

'Oh SHIT! Get tickets!' *FLOOD*

I'd prefer him [Eavis] to announce all the acts at the beginning of June like he always used to...now he's gone and announced next year's potential headliner a YEAR early...I doubt I'll get tickets, and I live around 40 minutes from the Festival Site...it's not fair! :(

yeah I know people that have just about managed to get tickets every year for the past 8 years until this year where they couldn't get any...I have a feeling 2005 is going to be even harder than this year to get tickets..but if U2 really are playing I will try my hardest to get them!

Wait until it's confirmed. I very much doubt U2 will play Glastonbury for 10% of the gate or whatever it might be when they can arrange their own day long "festival" (like Slane etc., though that was basically a standard U2 show with a few more opening acts than normal) and take 90% of the gate. They can sell out out their own 150,000 ticket show without difficulties so why do they need to hitch themselves to someone else's festival for less cash? Doesn't make sense to me. As for the quote, it could mean almost anyone... how about Matchbox 20?

Have you taken into consideration that it's not about the money??? U2 are one of the world's most recognised charity-backing groups and Glastonbury is the world's biggest charity backing festival...makes sense to ME...

Originally posted by
Have you taken into consideration that it's not about the money??? U2 are one of the world's most recognised charity-backing groups and Glastonbury is the world's biggest charity backing festival...makes sense to ME...

Perhaps it does, and perhaps you are right. I do not claim to know whether they will or not. All I am saying is that the actual verifiable evidence in favour available to us is pretty slight, and you do not need an economics degree to see that the money situation would suggest not (there are two words in the expression "music business", and only one of them is to do with music). And it's not as if U2 have a long history of doing festival shows, is it? (I'm not talking about Slane, Longest Day and so on, which are basically standard U2 shows with big ticket sales and lots of opening acts). So I think I'll stay with my "I very much doubt it" stance for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom