MERGED ---> U2 on Shelter From the Storm Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

ok i havent seen any threads about this? but over on U2.com they mention the band WONT be opening up there reharsals, but will instead be taking part in a benifit concert this weekend, i checked the websites, and there is no mention whatsoever, can someone shed some light on this?

will U2 bring walk on back for this concert? will america once again need U2 to try and heal a wounded nation?

Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

KUEFC09U2 said:
will america once again need U2 to try and heal a wounded nation?

I'm not sure. I've noticed that MSNBC is using Coldplay tracks over their video and photographic montages.:|

Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

ramblin rose said:

I'm not sure. I've noticed that MSNBC is using Coldplay tracks over their video and photographic montages.:|
:| :|

and i havent even seen U2's name on the "to appear" list on either website

have you guys forgotten about the band all of a sudden lol

Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

KUEFC09U2 said:
:| :|

and i havent even seen U2's name on the "to appear" list on either website

have you guys forgotten about the band all of a sudden lol

I imagine they were a last minute addition and are included in the "plus more" from both concerts.

Maybe now that they're apparently confirmed we'll see those two websites updated.

Re: Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

ramblin rose said:

Maybe now that they're apparently confirmed we'll see those two websites updated.

And we'll probably see commercials with U2 prominently featured, if not the first mentioned.

As it should be! :wink:

Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

KUEFC09U2 said:

will U2 bring walk on back for this concert? will america once again need U2 to try and heal a wounded nation?

I think you are giving U2 a little too much credit here.

Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

U2Man said:

I think you are giving U2 a little too much credit here.
how am i? so your denying that U2 helped to heal the U.S. after 9/11?

rather than cancelling there tour they carried on, brought a shed of hope to the people who went to the concerts after 9/11, and this was so so evident in MSG

why is it that whenever someone gives U2 credit or whatever you always pop up to bring it down?

KUEFC09U2 said:

rather than cancelling there tour they carried on, brought a shed of hope to the people who went to the concerts after 9/11, and this was so so evident in MSG

why is it that whenever someone gives U2 credit or whatever you always pop up to bring it down?

Sorry to disturb your illusions but the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did - I guess the rest of America had other concerns at the time than a rock band, very understandable. And the U.S. certainly didn't "need U2 to heal a wounded nation". By using the word "need", you seem to indicate that America hadn't got through the aftermath of 9/11 if it wasn't for U2. Please reconsider this for a second.

KUEFC09U2 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that they really helped the nation as a whole, but I would certainly say that they helped those in the US who were their fans. When I think of the times that I listened to Walk On and Stuck In A Moment most, I think of those first few months.

I think the band were just being 'U2'.

Their outpouring of emotions (with both empathy and sympathy) were just the same as the man on the street.
They were appalled and angry.

They didn't heal a nation, but they did show their emotions - they ARE only human beings too!

To say that U2 helped heal a nation is totally misleading as the majority of Americans dodn't follow U2, don't know about U2 or don't even care about U2.

The majority of Americans helped each other to come to terms with that atrocity.

U2 did a great job at their concerts - and Bono did a worthy job raising awareness in the eye of the media - but that's all!

U2 are just a band, a GREAT band, who tell who'll listen just how things are, but no band's music or political viewpoint will change the world.

Politicians are the only people who will change the world - AND it is we as the people who vote our politicians into power!

I've never seen a politician voted into office because of a rock band - OR taken out of office because of one.

Bono's opinions are in the same league as Michael Moore's - the majority of people couldn't care less about them.
(see the outcome of the last US election for proof of this)

On the intellectual scale, rock music is near the bottom.
Great songwriting abilities and great musicianship are not qualities that are going to change the world.

Enjoy music for what it is - if you want to change the world then study politics.

U2Man said:

the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did

Yup. I think that's the key point about your post that people are arguing, KUEFC. While the band certainly helped on some level, they weren't necessarily crucial to the healing process, nor did they really get to the whole country. U2Man's last post illustrates the points very well.

U2Man said:

Sorry to disturb your illusions but the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did - I guess the rest of America had other concerns at the time than a rock band, very understandable.

Sorry to disturb your!! illusion, U2Man. But U2 did and still does make a difference. I'm not just saying this because I'm a die hard fan. (which I am, baaaaaa) But people do remember that U2 carried on a concert when every other band or event cancelled in NY after 9/11. People remember so do politicians and the rest of the world. Die hard fans matter but aren't the only people selling out Every!! concert all over the US and the world.

Yes it's true that the US got through 9/11 - not because of U2 - but just because that's what we do.
Why is it so hard for some to give credit where credit is due? :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

sue4u2 said:

Sorry to disturb your!! illusion, U2Man. But U2 did and still does make a difference. I'm not just saying this because I'm a die hard fan. (which I am, baaaaaa) But people do remember that U2 carried on a concert when every other band or event cancelled in NY after 9/11. People remember so do politicians and the rest of the world. Die hard fans matter but aren't the only people selling out Every!! concert all over the US and the world.

Yes it's true that the US got through 9/11 - not because of U2 - but just because that's what we do.
Why is it so hard for some to give credit where credit is due? :shrug:

Where did I ever say that I didn't want to give U2 credit?

I've never had a problem with giving the *appropriate* amount of credit. What I objected to here was merely the use of the word 'need'. Please go back and look. The funny thing is that, considering the last part of your post, you actually seem to agree with this, and yet you jump to a conclusion that either shows that you haven't read my posts properly or haven't understood my point at all. :shrug:

U2Man what have you credited the band on latley? imo the band deserve ALOT of credit for carrying on after 9/11 dont you think?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

Utoo said:

And we'll probably see commercials with U2 prominently featured, if not the first mentioned.

As it should be! :wink:

This morning on the Today Show, they played Pride & said, "You're listening to Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2, and we're playing it because the boys from Dublin will be playing a benefit concert tonght for Hurricane Katrina victims...." THey then went on to list the others performing.

Just as I predicted---now that they're on board, they're the main ones mentioned. Ah, I'm so good! :wink: Actually, I guess it's U2 that's so good...
:wink:

For those who don't frequent the News section...
I don't know if it will be shown in other countries, but it will be streamed online at various sites. I know that www.cbsnews.com is one site. If anybody knows of any others, please post them.

KUEFC09U2 said:
U2Man what have you credited the band on latley? imo the band deserve ALOT of credit for carrying on after 9/11 dont you think?

Do you still think the use of the word 'need' was appropriate?

hedge said:
any ideas if these benefit shows are being shown on U.K. tv?

Sorry to interrupt the fighting, again :mad:, but various sites are saying that this will be broadcast in several countries, including the U.K. Sorry, but I don't know what channel it would be for you guys.

U2dork said:

Sorry to interrupt the fighting, again :mad:, but various sites are saying that this will be broadcast in several countries, including the U.K. Sorry, but I don't know what channel it would be for you guys.

who's fighting? Oh those 2 again!

thanks for that.

i've just learnt that we get some coverage on Sky One. Great.....

It will be shown in latinamerica on several cable channels, Fox and Cinecanal for example, and on channel 720 on Sky satellite dish, also in Mexico in open air channel 7.

KUEFC09U2 said:
any ideas when U2 will be on stage? its only on for 1 hour i see,

Hopefully, it'll be U2 for the whole hour. :wink: Let's try and avoid anything even close to the MTV VMAs.....

want to watch:wink: unfortunately...ITS A FRIDAY NIGHT!!!! and im ding what every college kid does on firday......... why would they make a benefit concert on a friday when noone is home???? it will be good but you would think for maximum impact it would be a sunday evening or something.

All I know is that there are an awful lot of artists for a 1 hour program. They'll be lucky if they get to play 1/2 of a song.

Back
Top Bottom