MERGED--> U2 on Conan O'Brien + Conan time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theu2fly

Refugee
U2 on Conan O'Brien

Songs played (in order)

All Because Of You
Original Of The Species
Stuck In A Moment
Vertigo

Original of The Species was done with a symphonic piece, Bono on rythmn guitar.

Stuck In A Moment was done acoustically until the band came in at the final verse, much like Boston 2.

Vertigo was played, Bono's vocals on the "feel" verse were amazing, the show cuts off at "All of this, all of this can be yours..."

Presumably more songs were done.

Re: U2 on Conan O'Brien

What the hell is with NBC cutting U2 off mid-song? They did it on SNL with ABOY, and now, right in the middle of Vertigo?

Seriously, WTF?
icon30.gif

That was so retarded how they did that. Email a complaint to NBC, that's what I did!

What the hell were they in a rush for anyways? Carson Daly??

Are you telling me U2 doesn't take precendent over the former TRL host?

What came on after Vertigo when I was watching was Maury. They cut the song to find out who was the father of a 16 yr old girl's baby!

That version of Stuck was absolutely amazing :drool:

In the year 2000 was hands down the funniest part of the night though! Edge was brilliant! I also thought the "Conan-ized" album covers as a lead in after break were very well done. I was able to capture the Achtung Baby one (I mean, Oy Vey Mama :wink:)

ConanAchtung.png

I have never laughed so hard.... First off, I rarely hear Edge just talk. It's mostly Bono talking for everyone. One of the few times I've heard Edge talk, and he says this...

In the year 2000...
:edge:
"U2 will admit that they wrote the song, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," after searching through 4 super markets, trying to find Boo Berry Cereal."

:lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

I know you guys might think I'm crazy/:coocoo: or something....but when Bono said the "I :heart: Urkel" part of the Year 2000 skit....it reminded me of the title part of Family Matters...when they pan on one of the family members...that person supposable had a cover of Rollling Stone w/U2 on the front cover (I think JT era).

I think...:shrug:

Edit: Oops....I meant to say Family Matters....not Family Times :giggle: :eek:

Last edited:
Just finished watching it in the west (listened to Gorman's stream earlier). What a great performance. In The Year 2000 was hilarious, I loved 'Oy Vey Mama'. And I sent in a complaint to the address someone provided above in regards to 'Verti...'

Conan with the fans and trivia was funny too :lmao:

Well NBC sealed it.. that's the last time U2 will ever do Conan and possibly NBC altogether (I hope not but... :sad: ). Cutting off Vertigo was simply unforgivable in my book.

They seem to have rediscovered "Stuck in a Moment" considering it's been played at most of the recent shows and is the only non-HTDAAB tune played on the show tonight. Personally not one of my favorite U2 songs by a long shot, but a nice version of it tonight.

T.B.

^ Yeah, I liked the acoustic version and then the band kicks in when The Edge sings :love:

Here's a picture a friend emailed me earlier, just now getting to it...
U2onConan10_07_05.jpg

I'm so glad they did the electric version of OOTS, but did it seem to anyone like Edge's guitar was too low in the mix? That shit should be ringing out to the rafters...plus, where was Edge on the "Oh no..." backing vocals at the end?

Stuck was good, but I wish Adam & Larry would come in a little earlier. Much better than I expected.

Partyslammer said:
They seem to have rediscovered "Stuck in a Moment" considering it's been played at most of the recent shows and is the only non-HTDAAB tune played on the show tonight. Personally not one of my favorite U2 songs by a long shot, but a nice version of it tonight.

T.B.

Well, it's only been played at one of the recent shows, plus Conan now, so I wouldn't quite say it's been played at 'most' of the recent shows. I'm interested to see if it becomes a setlist regular in NYC.

I can't believe you all are getting upset about Vertigo.

I thought most folks here had heard enough of it and wanted it played less! :laugh:

Yeah, really. It's not NBC's fault. The show has a set time period and that time ended. If they had cut a minute or two earlier in the show then we would have heard the whole song. Blame Conan's director for getting behind schedule, not NBC.

"U2 will admit that they wrote the song, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," after searching through 4 super markets, trying to find Boo Berry Cereal."

- That was absolutely brilliant! Perfect delivery by The Edge.

Zootomic said:
Yeah, really. It's not NBC's fault. The show has a set time period and that time ended. If they had cut a minute or two earlier in the show then we would have heard the whole song. Blame Conan's director for getting behind schedule, not NBC.

Yeah, lets get the director in trouble. He should know better to diss U2 fans ;)

anyone question bono's voice? it sounds like his throat was going..scratchy while speaking and some parts of singing.. great show.. it was nice to see adam and larry talk!

:up: for Bono's voice, remember how he sounded on third leg prevoius tour? ABOY was scratchy, the rest was very good.

Loved OOTS and Vertigo, wish Stuck's additional musicians would have started playing earlier - helped save otherwise boring acoustic version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom