MERGED--> U2 & New Orleans + U2 and tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliEnvy

Refugee
U2 & New Orleans

Sorry, I know the other thread is now closed but just wanted to say that there is a rumour circulating at Universal Canada that U2 will open up a rehearsal in Toronto next weekend for the relief effort....cover charge for cash and a food drive.

Someone in mid-management at the venue said it will be Sunday, September 11 @ 2 pm.

I hope this turns out to be true...I just can't see them ignoring this appauling situation.

That's a really cool idea, if it's true. That way they don't have to change the concert, but can still do something. I would definitely pay to see a rehearsal even without a huge disaster!

Since benefit concerts are popping up like mushrooms, which is great, I'm sure U2's plans, if any, are a moving target at this point.

But I hope they are able to do something where the 10s of thousands of people planning to see them in Toronto can contribute.

U2 and tragedy

This is the second time in a row that U2 is starting the third leg of a tour in the U.S. right after a big tragedy..... How do you think it will affect the tour?

Bono is gonna dedicate Running to Stand Still or Miss Sarajevo to "The People of New Orleans". And that's it.

Yeah, that's a good idea. DMB are doing a 3 night stint at Red Rocks on September 9,10,11. So, they decided to simply add on a 4th shows on the 12th, and all that money is to benefit the hurricane victims. So U2 could just add on a date to a place where they already have their stage set up.

That would be a really good idea if they chose to do that. Open up soundchecks in other cities too? That way people in other parts of North America can donate too.

:eyebrow: U2 is starting the third leg of the tour in Toronto, Ontario Canada. :wink: Canada is not part of the U.S.,,,,,,yet! lol
<Jk>

I'm sure U2 will do more than dedicate a couple of song's to the help the disaster victim's. I don't think the tour will suffer as it didn't with the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour.....this just my humble opinion.

Re: U2 and tragedy

romi said:
This is the second time in a row that U2 is starting the third leg of a tour in the U.S. right after a big tragedy..... How do you think it will affect the tour?
With all respect to the people in the southern US states, this is not the only tragedy to have occured in the world in the last week.

Please do not rank the hurricane as being more worthy of comment than any other event.

Kind of off topic, but I just received this e-mail from the One campaign:

"Dear Friend:

In the wake of the destruction brought on by Hurricane Katrina, hundreds of thousands of Americans are facing an uncertain and challenging future.

We've all watched together as increasingly dire reports have come out of the hardest hit areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, and right now our nation is trying to find its footing as it responds to one of the worst disasters that we've ever faced.

We all see the pictures on TV. Right now, they need water, food, clothing, shelter and medical attention, and soon they'll begin the long process of putting their lives back together... hospitals, sewers, schools...all the things that we take for granted every day.

As members of ONE, we must believe that Americans can't help people around the world unless we also take care of urgent needs at home.

You can visit the ONE.ORG blog to find a list of ONE partners and other groups working right now to help those in most need.

In the same way that our fight against poverty is both urgent and diligent, we now have a new challenge with the same rules, to help stop people from dying today and help rebuild their infrastructure for tomorrow.

In July, you answered the call of the poorest countries in the world, and now perhaps we can help you find a way to participate at this important time. Please visit the ONE.ORG blog and take action today.

Thank you,

George Clooney

P.S. You can also help by taking part in the "ReAct Now: Music & Relief" benefit concert that will air on MTV, VH1 and CMT, planned for Sept. 10th at 8pm ET/7pm CT. Please visit www.think.mtv.com for up to date information."

Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

blueeyedgirl said:

With all respect to the people in the southern US states, this is not the only tragedy to have occured in the world in the last week.

Please do not rank the hurricane as being more worthy of comment than any other event.
And the first poster did not say in any way that it was the only tragedy to occur in the last week, nor did they attempt to rank it as more (or less) worthy of mention than any other event. They merely stated that U2 would once again be starting a US tour right after a tragedy in the US, which is a fact, and they asked how other fans felt it would affect the tour, which is a reasonable question to ask on a fan board.

Personally I don't think it will have any affect at all on the tour. U2 has toured all over the world before, after, and even during tragedies (Sarajevo). They will most likely make some mention of the hurricane devastation and they may make a monetary contribution, perhaps publicly, perhaps privately. Either way, I think the tour will go on pretty much as it would have had there been no hurricane.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
Kind of off topic, but I just received this e-mail from the One campaign:

Well...since you brought it up...

inTO the HEART 2005 in Toronto will be doing a raffle fundraiser this coming Sept 11 during the //Atomic Jam//V3 Lanch Party which was originally going to benefit the ONE Campaign...we will now be donating all proceeds to the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund as one of ONE's partners.

Right now our grand prize is an ETS package for 2 GA tickets anywhere in North America and several hotel pacakages for major US cities courtesy of Sheraton/Westin Hotels.

If anyone would like to donate prizes, boots, CDs, DVDs, U2 memorbilia or really anything you think people would cherish, whether U2 related or not...please email me blakeks5@hotmail.com

If anyone would like to purchase raffle tickets, even if you are not attending, we can set something up, let me know.

Thanks, everyone.

Kim
Co-Founder & Event Planner
inTO the HEART: U2 Fan Fest

www.intotheheart.com

:heart:

Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

blueeyedgirl said:

Sure it's worth ranking as more newsworthy. 1.6 million homeless people deserve some attention.

I can't tell by your comments if you're American or not. If you are, this will affect you directly. If not in terms of gas prices, then it will in terms of prices for items you buy.

This is the biggest disaster in US history and you're saying it's not more worthy of comment than any other event? :eek:

This hurricane makes 9/11 look like a firecracker went off. The destruction in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast is the equivalent to a nuclear bomb being detonated without the radiation.

Get a clue.

Last edited:
Hey blueeyedgirl, this event has had a huge effect on the US. Biggest disaster ever. From New Orleans being totally wiped out, gas prices, and other economic issues, Katrina is sure as hell news worthy. Especially in the States, where U2 will be touring. Im here in TX and we have New Orlean refugees jobless in my city looking for a new life to live. This entire country is feeling the effects, certainly more news worthy to us than anything else in the world right now.

Question, do you guys think U2 will still do the Africa intro for Streets. Would be fitting if they put the LA state flag. I know Africa has issues too that need to be recongnized and taken care of, but right now the US has their mind set on the south. :(

Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

u2wedge said:

Sure it's worth ranking as more newsworthy. 1.6 million homeless people deserve some attention.

I can't tell by your comments if you're American or not. If you are, this will affect you directly. If not in terms of gas prices, then it will in terms of prices for items you buy.

This is the biggest disaster in US history and you're saying it's not more worthy of comment than any other event? :eek:

This hurricane makes 9/11 look like a firecracker went off. The destruction in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast is the equivalent to a nuclear bomb being detonated without the radiation.

Get a clue.

I shall remember your remarks next time there is a bombing in Iraq, a hurricane in China, a monsoon in Bangladesh, a typhoon in Japan or a famine in Saharan Africa.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

blueeyedgirl said:

I shall remember your remarks next time there is a bombing in Iraq, a hurricane in China, a monsoon in Bangladesh, a typhoon in Japan or a famine in Saharan Africa.

Yeah, I still can't believe that U2 mentioned the London bombings at the show I went to in Barcelona. Damn, the nerve of him, with all of the other tragedies going on in the world.:shrug:

Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

u2wedge said:

Wasn't Katrina predicted at least a week before it hit New Orleans? Funny how 1.6 million people weren't deserving of attention when there was still time to do something!

I think US is in half responsible for what happened. Not to mention how slow was the US in getting the help out there.

Phew.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

markoajda said:
Wasn't Katrina predicted at least a week before it hit New Orleans? Funny how 1.6 million people weren't deserving of attention when there was still time to do something!

Where do you get your information? Just curious.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

ramblin rose said:

Where do you get your information? Just curious.

Local news? :scratch:

Link

Vprašanja zaradi počasnega odziva in nepripravljenosti oblasti na najhujšo naravno katastrofo v zgodovini ZDA si postavljajo tudi strokovnjaki, ki so divjanje orkana in njegove posledice predvideli in jih tudi že opazovali s pomočjo računalniških modelov.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

markoajda said:

Local news? :scratch:

Huh, I wonder where they're getting their information from then, because the part I quoted from you is absolutely false.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

ramblin rose said:

Huh, I wonder where they're getting their information from then, because the part I quoted from you is absolutely false.

Sure it's false. Katrina came from blue skies and surprised the whole nation in the US. That's why US was unprepared and so quick to help.

Damn those local news. How there they criticise US. I'm writing them a letter.

Anyways here's a good place to start ramblin rose.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2005/08/31/disaster_preparation/index_np.html

You can go on from there to

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/09/05/431c79cc221f2

Last edited:
I think that the path to NO was predicted shortly after it hit Florida. As late as Thursday night they were calling for a direct hit for Sunday evening. I know Hurricanes can sit around in the GoM for quite a while, but on Friday everything was alligned. I hate to say it, but the long term future of NOLA is not bright.

edit: looks like it was 4 days warning.

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/2005/KATRINA/track.dat

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and tragedy

markoajda said:

Sure it's false. Katrina came from blue skies and surprised the whole nation in the US. That's why US was unprepared and so quick to help.

Damn those local news. How there they criticise US. I'm writing them a letter.

You obviously no nothing about when this hurricane formed, so I'm not going to go further. To say the U.S. had a week to evacuate New Orleans is completely false.

Oh, and would somehow all these people not have been homeless, regardless of what type of evacuation would have occurred?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom