MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropean103 said:
I don't believe it could be more stupid than the fascinating "watch Hamish in action" extra stuff.

it almost is

why would people want to watch a few songs with grainy camera images when you can just watch the normal DVD?

Chizip said:

it almost is

why would people want to watch a few songs with grainy camera images when you can just watch the normal DVD?

:yes:

Imagine what kind of extra material we could have had instead.....

Gloria, Crumbs From Your Table, The First Time, WGRYWH, Walk On, Out Of Control..... recorded elsewhere on the tour :drool:

Last edited:
i mean which one of them actually thought that it would be a good idea to put this on the DVD? its mind boggling, these are supposed to be smart people.

amniar said:
Just watched it.

In summary, it would probably have been better had they waited until the outdoor concerts in Europe because they seemed to have more atmosphere - well, at least the one I went to did. Plus the playing is better later on - a DVD of the Twickenham performance would have been excellent.

T

What would be the point of filming concerts that were played nearly in all daylight. I was at Manchester and not mentioning that the sound was bloody awful but the light show was also non-existant as it was virtually all daylight until Zoo Station was played. No point in releasing a DVD that would have no light effects on it.

As for the DVD, I have the 2 disc version and was watching a bit of the documentary which wasn't filled with anything worth knowing to be honest. The grainy versions of some of the songs are a bit of a joke as well not really worth having and I started watching the 1st one and got bored with looking at grainy film of The Edges baseball boots. The real concert is fairly good. The versions of the Achtung Baby songs are fantastic and worth buying the DVD for this reason alone. The way these songs sound live I would have been happy if they'd play the whole album sounding like this. Zoo Station and The Fly are superb and Mysterious Ways and One not far behind. As for the new songs COBL don't sound that powerful to me and Vertigo(apart from being a bit annoying to hear now) isn't that good sounding either, weak is the word here especially the vocals. Love and Peace Or Else is ok but only really starts to sound good when Larry goes to play his proper drum kit at the end of the song. I think they ruined the sound of this song by having Larry just playing one drum through the opening of the song, it lacks power and could have been a great version if they played the bugger properly. Great version of 40, and nice to have a really good live version of this song on DVD.

Oh yeah I laughed when Adam said in the documentary that they weren't playing as many songs from the Joshua Tree on this tour.....heheh yeah only the 3 on the DVD then Adam. Hate to think what they would do if they were gonna play more, probably play the whole album on the next tour to make up for it.:wink:

So far the biggest thing this DVD has done is upset me that I didn't get the Zoo encore at my one and only show. :angry:

inmyplace13 said:
So far the biggest thing this DVD has done is upset me that I didn't get the Zoo encore at my one and only show. :angry:

Easily and I mean EASSSSSSSILY the best part of the show. The slot machine intro kinda thing with the baby then saying "mama" repeated and then The Edge coming in with that Zoo Station riff....sends a shiver down my spine. FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC. And they played it at the MAnchester gig I went to and I thought then that it was the best part of the show.:wink:

I don't know about everybody else but songs such as Bullet the Blue Sky and Streets and Pride are on every tour and would probably have been better rested for this tour.

just watched it for a second time, and its now tied with popmart for my fav U2 vid/dvd, there just so much going on in it imo, so many good things, adam in an cat dubh nodding his head wildily with a big smile on his face, the little handshake between adam and the edge when to song finishes, the kid up on stage (i dont care how staged it is i find it touching), bono hitting the symbol, i even found elevation funny as hell when bono nearly joked (not in a nasty way), but hey of course some will be dissapointed, but i am most definatley not

p.s. i still dont think the crowd were any worse than they were on the boston DVD

Where is With or Without You? :(

Just to make you all jealous.. Deluxxe @ Future Shop in Canada = 22.99. That is like 16.99 in the States, and like, 9 pound 99 in Britain.

(Why the hell is Britian so over priced btw? Live 8 on amazon.ca was 32.99, on amazon.co.uk it was 37 pound 99. Thats INSANE.)

Last edited:
Cooper2000 said:
Where is With or Without You? :(

Just to make you all jealous.. Deluxxe @ Future Shop in Canada = 22.99. That is like 16.99 in the States, and like, 9 pound 99 in Britain.

(Why the hell is Britian so over priced btw? Live 8 on amazon.ca was 32.99, on amazon.co.uk it was 37 pound 99. Thats INSANE.)
my delux version (which is getting deliverd tomorrow, after me having to rush out and by the single version because the delux hadnt turned up) cost me £21.95 from tesco

KUEFC09U2 said:
my delux version (which is getting deliverd tomorrow, after me having to rush out and by the single version because the delux hadnt turned up) cost me £21.95 from tesco

I coulda got free shipping, so still 9 pound 99.. I find it rediculous really.

Chizip said:
the surviellence footage is the stupidest thing ever. will anybody actually watch that more than once, if even once?

I was really disappointed, for some reason I thought it was going to be shots of the audience, kind of like what they use for the video during One. That might have been fun to watch, but as it is it's just the same songs again but with really bizarre and bad quality video to go along with it. Maybe if you watched it stoned??:shrug:

Chizip said:
the surviellence footage is the stupidest thing ever. will anybody actually watch that more than once, if even once?

ya i didnt even watch it.

The documentary shows a short clip of the crowd singing "happy birthday" to Bono, and also them soundchecking PARTY GIRL. It's too bad they didn't put this in the final cut.

I watched 30 seconds of the surviellence cuts, and the Sometimes video is disapointing, I walk around the place with a hood up and sing all the time too.

The artwork is interesting...who scribbled all over my DVDS!!
:madspit: :wink:

Theres too much compression artifcats on the dark parts of the DVD. Whoever mastered the mpeg2 video didn't know what they were doing. Kinda sucks, because I think it won't look very good on an HDTV.

i can't believe this dvd is getting such rave reviews! i am not impressed...

first of all let me say that hamish is amazing. there are still a few continuity issues when they mix shots from both nites, dissapearing mic stands, weird light curtain stuff, etc... i wish they wouldnt over edit like this, cuz then they wouldnt fuck up! but all around a brilliant job by the film crew! im still not sure why the end of the dvd looks so much better than the first couple songs though..?

the sound is a disgrace to humanity. the mix is terribly inconsistent. larry drums sound great on some tracks and pathetic on others. edges guitar is way too quiet for everything, but way too loud on solos. the sound does not reperesent a live sound whatsoever. the crowd noise levels are played with too much and do not sound natual like on the boston dvd. and last but not least, and i cant believe this hasnt been mentioned yet, "40" BASS!!!!! DOES NO ONE ELSE HAVE THIS ON THEIR DVD?!?! half way through the song the bass suddenly fades up and almost explodes your stereo system! it lasts for a good couple of minutes too! it is absolutely unwatchable.

hamish and the band do a decent job, looks brilliant, but the sound crew make this dvd a failure.

do not buy the extra disc. the documentary is pathetic. much worst than boston even.

Its possible that the sound quality isn't made for your speaker setup? I don't know, I thought the sound quality was great, especially on an cat dubh, new years day, even on 40. I'm using 5.1 logitech speakers on my computer when listening by the way, listening to the DTS mix.

jeffschmid said:
i can't believe this dvd is getting such rave reviews! i am not impressed...

and i cant believe this hasnt been mentioned yet, "40" BASS!!!!! DOES NO ONE ELSE HAVE THIS ON THEIR DVD?!?! half way through the song the bass suddenly fades up and almost explodes your stereo system! it lasts for a good couple of minutes too! it is absolutely unwatchable.

:s very weird - "40" is perfect on my dvd player - could it be that your sound system isn't configured correctly or you have a faulty disc. I'm no technician but I do know that Edge's bass sounds solid from start to finnish of this song.

Best songs on the DVD:

City Of Blinding Lights
An Cat Dubh
Streets
One
Zoo Station
The Fly
Original Of The Species

man, im startin to think i got a fucked up dvd. cuz there would have to be others whining about the sound... it is pathetic...

Way too many fucking camera angles for just an arena...

Hopefully Dublin 3 will be released on DVD, and more laid back.

Just got it today - fantastic! But first let me say...

I paid, including tax, 36 dollars for the Deluxe Edition - :madspit: Not cool :|

I went to Target, Best Buy... did not have it (only the single disc)! I ended up having to go to Barnes & Noble (which I dreaded... they ALWAYS overprice their stuff :madspit: ). And I must say... the 2nd disc, so far, is not worth the extra 20 dollars I paid for it (could've gotten the single disc at Target for $15). Truth be told, I have yet to see the Documentary on the tour, but unless there is some INSANELY AWESOME Easter Egg like the Milan concert hidden somewhere deep inside the 2nd disc - I'd much rather have just gotten the single disc...

But as for the concert - it's definately one of the best U2 have put out. I'd say it is second only to Sydney (and that's saying something!). Greatstuff, I must say - a LOT of energy! I saw the band in Houston and didn't get the Achtung Baby encore, so it was a nice treat seeing those songs. "Running to Stand Still" (or, rather, "...Standstill" :wink: ) was *really* good, too... didn't expect that. I love the Vertigo Tour version of "Elevation" - it's got a nice groove going on throughout the song.

I thought Bono bringing up the little boy on stage (Eric was his name?) during "Into the Heart" was nice... one of those "warm, fuzzy moments" :drunk:
I really loved "Yahweh." On the album, I had decided it was one of the worst U2 songs ever... but live, it just becomes something else entirely. A real sense of community and brotherhood between the band and the audience. Greatstuff!

ALSO, I must say I am SO happy with the exclusion of "With or Without You" - I'm gonna be honest here and say that the song has not been all that great live since the ZooTV tour, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'm sorry, it's just the way I feel :shrug:

All in all, BRILLIANT SHOW, mate! :up: I'm gonna watch it again tonight while studying for my tests tomorrow.

Vertigo Tour = :drool:

Last edited:
I love the DVd. I agree that the deluxe version is for the die hard fan. I got mine at Best Buy for 22.99.

Also,
Diane L said:

Bono's daughters each have had a special moment on a U2 video. Eve danced with her dad to "Mysterious Ways" on Slane, and Bono dedicates "Original of the Species" to Jordan for her birthday. The girls were also on that "Peter & The Wolf" video a couple of years ago.

Such a good dad! :cute:

What Peter and the Wolf video? I have the book, but a video I'm not aware of. Where can I see it?

Back
Top Bottom