Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOCAGATOR

The Fly
Does anyone know if U2 has made any statements regarding the destruction in New Orleans? I am hoping they change that Africa back drop to New Orleans on the third leg.New Orleans is now almost like a third World country.It is now like an American Africa so I would expect them to do something.They may use it like they used 9/11 when that happened between the second and third leg.

BOCAGATOR said:
I am hoping they change that Africa back drop to New Orleans on the third leg.New Orleans is now almost like a third World country.It is now like an American Africa so I would expect them to do something.

I mean nothing against the victims of the hurricane or those that support their cause, but this is kind of missing the point. Bono's never been one to jump on the bandwagon of the most recent, popular, "pet" causes. He's been involved with Africa for 20 years and I see no reason for him to change now.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "American Africa" comment, but the current state in NO is nothing, nothing even close to what it's like in Africa. It takes hundreds of years for structurally corrupt politics and economics to form like what we currently have in Africa. Also, Africa is not just some third world disaster zone where everyone is fending for themselves like what we're seeing in New Orleans. It's a beautiful place with beautiful people who are proud of their culture environment.

Re: Re: Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I mean nothing against the victims of the hurricane or those that support their cause, but this is kind of missing the point. Bono's never been one to jump on the bandwagon of the most recent, popular, "pet" causes. He's been involved with Africa for 20 years and I see no reason for him to change now.

He jumped on the 9/11 bandwaggon by doing a concert in NYC....which we all appreciated :)

Uh... the whole third leg of the Elevation tour they mentioned 9/11 and it became their theme. New York this and New York that. America this and America that. A whole American city just got wiped out and may never be rebuilt so I was just wondering if they would support the cause. The suffering there has just started.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "American Africa" comment, but the current state in NO is nothing, nothing even close to what it's like in Africa. It takes hundreds of years for structurally corrupt politics and economics to form like what we currently have in Africa. Also, Africa is not just some third world disaster zone where everyone is fending for themselves like what we're seeing in New Orleans. It's a beautiful place with beautiful people who are proud of their culture environment.

BOCAGATOR said:
Does anyone know if U2 has made any statements regarding the destruction in New Orleans? I am hoping they change that Africa back drop to New Orleans on the third leg.New Orleans is now almost like a third World country.It is now like an American Africa so I would expect them to do something.They may use it like they used 9/11 when that happened between the second and third leg.

Sorry to say this especially in light of the horrible devastation the recent hurricanes have caused, but the expectations you speak of could be terrible disappointments. It's unfair to expect any rock group or celebrity to stand up to support a cause by using their fame (or fortune). Besides, U2 fans the world over should be thankful the band chose to follow through with this tour at all despite what they have dealt with in their own band intimate family.

Carek1230 said:

Sorry to say this especially in light of the horrible devastation the recent hurricanes have caused, but the expectations you speak of could be terrible disappointments. It's unfair to expect any rock group or celebrity to stand up to support a cause by using their fame (or fortune). Besides, U2 fans the world over should be thankful the band chose to follow through with this tour at all despite what they have dealt with in their own band intimate family.

I'm not really sure what happened in the band's intimate family but they "chose" to make an album and they "chose" to go on tour. And isn't Bono using his fame to gain support and awareness for Africa?

Re: Re: Re: Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

MsGiggles said:

He jumped on the 9/11 bandwaggon by doing a concert in NYC....which we all appreciated :)

The MSG dates for Oct., 2001 were scheduled well in advance of 9/11. It's one thing to pay tribute to the victims when you're in the home town, but I wouldn't expect U2 to turn Streets into a whole New Orleans theme for the rest of the tour. I don't recall anything like this for Homestead, Fla during ZooTV 1992.

I'm sure they "support the cause", but I'm still not getting the "American Africa" comment....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

The MSG dates for Oct., 2001 were scheduled well in advance of 9/11. It's one thing to pay tribute to the victims when you're in the home town, but I wouldn't expect U2 to turn Streets into a whole New Orleans theme for the rest of the tour. I don't recall anything like this for Homestead, Fla during ZooTV 1992.

I'm sure they "support the cause", but I'm still not getting the "American Africa" comment....

That comment is based on the fact that present day New Orleans is just as bad as a third world country right now. I hope you are not comparing Andrew to this hurricane. Take Andrew and times it by 20. I experienced part of Andrew and spent many days delivering supplies and there is no comparison.Again, this was a simple question.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

And don't forget what happened the last time they were in New Orleans. They were playing Streets at halftime of the Super Bowl of the 9/11 victims was in the background. This happened to be the same arena where people are now calling home for the last few days.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

BOCAGATOR said:

That comment is based on the fact that present day New Orleans is just as bad as a third world country right now.
I understand your strong feelings about the disastrous hurricane which has caused horrendous damage and taken lives with it, but it really isn't anything like as bad as third world countries like Sudan, Ethiopia and the other countries facing extreme poverty and famine is it?

No.

Anyway, I don't expect them to make any public appearances regarding the hurricane, I do however believe that in the third leg, the subject will be brought up by the band during a show with a song probably dedicated to those affected.

Well

Give it some time. New Orleans needs U.S. Troops, food and water right now. Not U2!

BUT....I cannot even fathom U2 being on tour in the U.S. in 3 weeks and NOT being part of some kind of charity. They'll either donate some money from a show, or play in some kind of concert that's yet to be announced.

FYI: Dave Matthews just added another show to their 3 night stand at Red Rocks in Sept.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does U2 have any plans to help New Orleans?

BOCAGATOR said:

That comment is based on the fact that present day New Orleans is just as bad as a third world country right now.

It may look like a third world country at the moment, but it's not just as bad as a third world country. Take the rapes, murders, and natural deaths that have occured in New Orleans over the past few days, multiply them a few times, throw in a corrupt government, and then you'll have a third world country.

Why bother comparing human suffering? All of it is absolutely awful.

What happened along the Gulf shores is a big deal. Comparing it to Africa is irrelevant.

Like I said, human suffering is human suffering, no matter what the geographic location is. No comparison needs to be made.

And Bono did pay tribute to the 9/11 victims throughout the 3rd leg, not just in NYC. :shrug:

Why doesn't YOUR president do something and not rely on the charity of rock bands?

You should be asking Bush for actual aid and not another charity fueled 'Orleans Aid' event.

What do you Americans pay your taxes for???

Forget Bono and get Bush out of his bed!

Pero said:
Every help is good, but MARK MY WORDS:
YOU KNEW ABOUT IT 2 WEEKS AGO
MOVE FROM THERE
i don't even think i want to know what you mean. because every possible explanation i'm thinking of is coming off as cruel, callous, and rude.

Pero said:
Every help is good, but MARK MY WORDS:
YOU KNEW ABOUT IT 2 WEEKS AGO
MOVE FROM THERE

Look, I hate to break the news to you but Katrina wasn't even formed until the 23rd of August.

Please don't comment on things you know nothing about.

As for as the rest of the topic, U2 has nothing to do with this. If they feel like saying something or decide on participating in some concert fine. If not its fine too.

I know we shouldn't compare tragedies, but maybe this kind of tragedy should give us some perspective on what millions of people go through everyday, with the only difference being that in the U.S. there is hope, in other places there isn't.

i agree with ramblin rose. we already have a thread about katrina in lemonade stand if you wish to discuss the hurricane and its aftermath there.

as for whether or not U2 will do anything, i guess we'll just have to wait and see. i'm already seeing too many negative responses in this thread for me to justify keeping it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom