Do you think Bono ever performs while intoxicated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:

who gets drunk from one can of beer?

My mom :yes:

Hey, as long as Bono doesn't barf on me when I'm in GA, I don't care what he's drinking before the show. If we're all having a good time at the show, he should certainly be able to, too.

TheBrazilianFly said:

:huh: You must drink a lot to find this so hillarious. Maybe I didn't express myself correctly, I didn't say he gets drunk from drinking a can of beer. I just don't think he gets on stage drunk or would even drink an entire can of beer. Is that better? :scratch:

:lol:

I have not read this entire thread, but I wll throw this out there (dunno if it was already said.)

I am sure, absoultely sure the boys have gone up on stage a bit tweaked, at least in the ZOO days.

That said, Bono has very specific allergies to certain kinds of alcohol. I have read numerous articles (years ago) that Bono loved to be a boozer, but no longer could because he would have horrible reactions to the stuff.

When you see the riders you always see "very good wine" or "very old wine" or very specific wines actually requested. this is because Bono does not have reactions to these. I think there is something to do with the tanins in wine that Bono can and cannot deal with. An older wine is more settled and is something that I know Bono prefers.

I also know that he ignores his allergies often and drinks whatever the hell he chooses.

Plus, think back to the 90's - you know the time when Adam was engaged to Naomi Campbell. I would not be surprised if one or more of the bandmembers blew a line or two here, or there...

Sorry, this doesn't have to do with Bono--but back in the day when we went to concerts about every week cause the tickets were so cheap---many performers were wasted. I remember KISS being so drunk they almost fell off their platform shoes. The crowds were wild--there were people doing it in the floor where someone puked. Oh, the good ole days. :ohmy:

He's probably a lil tuckered out since he's having back problems and pretty much has to have 20 or more injections into his back. That could be the problem too.

I really am starting to get scared of people who seem to think Bono is God and that he can do no wrong. I think he's awesome and still a hottie though ( :drool: )but he is a human being and for people to state that he doesn't drink, etc. is pretty laughable.

U2Girl1978 said:
He's probably a lil tuckered out since he's having back problems and pretty much has to have 20 or more injections into his back. That could be the problem too.

I really am starting to get scared of people who seem to think Bono is God and that he can do no wrong. I think he's awesome and still a hottie though ( :drool: )but he is a human being and for people to state that he doesn't drink, etc. is pretty laughable.

not only is bono god, but he also invented rock and roll, and is one hell of a piano player

Headache in a Suitcase said:

not only is bono god, but he also invented rock and roll, and is one hell of a piano player

He's an even better guitar player :drool:

People who say Bono doesn't drink don't know much about him, he is quite the wine snob. However I think that they take their music much too seriously to be inebriated at a show.

(But look out afterwards!)

bono and the boys have been bombed on stage before....how often? i couldn't wager a guess. i think you're a bit naive to believe they haven't.

well, my favorite bit in rattle and hum is when they're being interviewed and bono is asking "can I have my cup?....me cup?"
and then you see him gulping a large can of beer.

I'm sure he didn't drink the whole can though.

:|

randhail said:
who says drinking a can of beer anyways?

It's a beer not a can of beer. :wink:

Well according to their waiver it's a bottle ONLY!:wink:

I definitely think he's at least had a good buzz before a few shows. Last tour I was seated right behind Larry :drool: He was drinking beer throughout the show.

I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't Guinness :tsk:

They have definately gone onstage after having a few before. I dont think they have gone on completely smashed though. Zoo TV seems to be the biggest period of time when this activity occurred frequently. The only show I have seen where I went away thinking Bono may have been a little tipsy was the 9-11-92 Ames Iowa show. Doesnt mean he was, but he seemed a little out of it that night and acted a tad intoxicated.

Ah the lovely Jack Trice Stadium. Can you blame them for wanting to get loaded in Ames?! I can say that, I spent 4.5 years of my life there...

Any real reports of drinking on the '97/'01/'05 tours?

I know for the Popmart tour they carried they own supply of Guinness in kegs.

They had a major party in vancouver, between the 2 ZooTV stadium shows, where the group got a group of press shitfaced. The 4 members were the bartenders.

Also, if you've seen 80's live footage of Bono dancing onstage, ask yourself if a sober person could do that.

u2fp

Sken said:
I don't know for sure, but would a normal person get in front of 20,000 people and pretend to be a cat?

Well, for the right amount of money, I'd get on stage and pretend to be a cat bathing.

Besides, Bono's like 9 standard deviations awary from normal.

Bank Account
Normal - maybe $850 average checking balance, live mostly payday to payday
Bono - lots in the bank, give lots to charity

Creative Skills
Normal - might be able to pull off a stick figure drawing or color between the lines
Bono - songs, poems, melodies, Grammys

Passion to Make the World Better
Normal - read about it, send some cash once in awhile
Bono - learn the economics, stump on the Hill, piss off politiciaons that wont' commit

We could go on.

Sken said:
I don't know for sure, but would a normal person get in front of 20,000 people and pretend to be a cat?

Are you suggesting that all the various casts of the Broadway play CATS are alcoholics?

That's almost as bad as all the stories of drunk Midgets on the set of Wizard of Oz.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Are you suggesting that all the various casts of the Broadway play CATS are alcoholics?

That's almost as bad as all the stories of drunk Midgets on the set of Wizard of Oz.

u2fp

I think Sken was joking.

U2Man said:
He was definitely drunk during the 1994, I think it was, MTV Europe music awards where he was supposed to receive a "Free Your Mind" award. He nearly ate the mic. An embarrasing moment in U2 history, really. Do you remember this, yimou?

:yes: :yes:

A Xanax & Wine night for sure.

Quote of the day !

BEVERLY56 said:
People who say Bono doesn't drink don't know much about him, he is quite the wine snob. However I think that they take their music much too seriously to be inebriated at a show.

(But look out afterwards!)
That's what I'm trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom