June 24th, Croke Park in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaleBlueDot

War Child
ATTN: Those interested in going to Dublin this summer

I have kind of a little idea I'd like to throw out there and see what the response is like. I know a lot of people are planning to fly out to Dublin for the Croke Park gigs. Well, I’ve been contemplating the idea of getting a small group of 20-somethings together and sharing a flat (to lower individual costs) in Dublin for the whole of both July and August this summer. That is to say – Because of work, I won’t be able to leave home until RIGHT before the June gigs, and I need to be home September 1st for school.

I would like anyone who thinks they might be interested to email me at lilbmcg@gmail.com – this is merely an expression of interest, not commitment. I just want to get an idea of how many people and what kinds of people are interested.

…And yes, I would be looking for a certain type of person, and I will probably take applications of sorts and possibly references to make sure everyone is…you know, who they say they are. Because this IS the Internet and there are a lot of GREAT people out here (I’ve met several) but there are also shady ones and just plain strange ones lol. But also, it won’t be a situation where we could easily replace someone who didn’t work out, in which case the rest of us would be left hanging, far away from home. What I’m looking for is this:

-First and foremost: Responsible, reliable, and not completely dull but definitely not the nutso partying type. A BIG thing is that we want to be able to rely on you to pay your part of the rent.
-Preferably females…for obvious reasons…But if you happen to be a lad and think you’d make a really spectacular flatmate, feel free to apply. But uh, I’m not sure about doing this co-ed yet…That could be drama, I don’t know. Lol. We will probably take a vote on it or something.
-Ages 21-29, and relatively mature and well-adjusted for your age.
-You don’t have to be American by any means, but absolutely fluent in English. Communication is important, especially since there is going to be a lot of emailing/organizing involved.
-No crazy obsessive fan-types please. That is, I’m looking for relatively well-rounded people here, who listen to music other than just U2. And not people who are going there just to hang outside Bono’s gates all day. (He’ll be gone on tour, anyway). I’m not going there to meet U2 – I’m going there because I want to immerse myself in the culture, see the place where my family came from, and learn what it is like to live and work there.
- No druggies, no promiscuous sex (at least not IN the flat), no reality show-type drama, etc etc.

…I think you get the basic idea. If a lot of people show interest…I may sort of just pick the people who seem…well, the “coolest.” Or who, at least, seem like they’d get on well, have similar interests…I dunno yet.

I’m still researching logistics as well as things like the costs of living in Dublin, what areas are safest, and what price ranges we’d be looking at. We can talk specifics privately after I get a feel for the interest generated in this little escapade. However, unless you’re pretty well off financially (or a really good saver!), you can probably expect to have to get a temporary job of some sorts while we’re there – or at least, I plan to, as I feel it would enrich my experience there by really immersing myself in the community and culture. I also would like to take some side trips to the west of Ireland (Cliffs of Moor, Aran Islands, etc.), Paris (to visit the Louvre and see how far 2 semesters of French will get me!), possibly Wales, and to Stonehenge on the Summer solstice (July 21st I believe?), and I’d love to have someone to tag along with me.

Also, if you are wondering about me personally, I am 23 and grew up and currently live in northern Indiana, USA. I am a college student and work at Notre Dame, assisting a couple of professors in a research project on biometrics (nerdy stuff). If you ask around, there are several people here, in the Zoo, and around the U2 community who have met me in person and even worked with me at some point in time…and they should be able to vouch for me as a relatively friendly, reliable person…or at least as a viable human being lol. I’ll be happy to give more details by email.

K, so, email me (lilbmcg@gmail.com) if you’re interested. Don’t PM me because I don’t remember to check it very regularly. Feel free to copy/paste this to message boards (doesn’t have to be U2 ones either) or emails and pass the word on to friends. Cheers.

Bridget (a.k.a. Dot)

P.S. -- Mods, I hope this is posted in the right folder. I didn't post it in Fan Gatherings because it's really not about that...more of a post-gig thing...but move it if you must!

WOW, that sounds like an awesome deal! If I were older, I would definitely be interested. (I'm hoping to study abroad in Ireland in the next couple of years myself). Anyway, good luck with getting a group together. It sounds like it'd be a great experience for everyone involved. :)

Nerfherder said:
WOW, that sounds like an awesome deal! If I were older, I would definitely be interested. (I'm hoping to study abroad in Ireland in the next couple of years myself). Anyway, good luck with getting a group together. It sounds like it'd be a great experience for everyone involved. :)

Thanks! And good luck getting into a study abroad program -- I know lots of people who have done it (in Ireland and elsewhere) and it's the opportunity of a lifetime, it really is.

btw cool name. ;)

Sounds like a good plan. The rules seem fair, although I don't see what the big deal is about having it co-ed though, especially if it's in the age group of 21-29. We're all adults. I bring this up because I'm a man :wink:

Question, you say wanted to book it for a couple months, but what if someone wants to come for a week, or 5 days or something? I'll be taking courses this summer so I can only get away for a week max. Just asking because I've been throwing around the idea of going to Dublin to see the u2 show. I work for an airline so getting there is no problem. I'm 24 by the way.

Thanks again for the good idea.

FUCKING GRAT IDEA,not good great.
Sorry but i can't go. Iwant to but i can't-15 years old, but i'm very responsible and matture, at least that's what my friend say, not a woman(god damn it), can listen other than u2, not obsessive, not posting in PLEBA section of forum, not smoking, not drugadict, if we would go out sometimes, wouldn't get too much drunk(if they would give a GUINNESS to underager)

Almost fitting, but taking a 2 week course in August, so sorry.
I ha ve to do only two thing in my life:Go to Dublin
Go to u2 show

School is important, i'll finish it, don't worry.

RademR said:
Sounds like a good plan. The rules seem fair, although I don't see what the big deal is about having it co-ed though, especially if it's in the age group of 21-29. We're all adults. I bring this up because I'm a man :wink:

Question, you say wanted to book it for a couple months, but what if someone wants to come for a week, or 5 days or something? I'll be taking courses this summer so I can only get away for a week max. Just asking because I've been throwing around the idea of going to Dublin to see the u2 show. I work for an airline so getting there is no problem. I'm 24 by the way.

Thanks again for the good idea.

Well, the term would likely start AFTER the gig, on the first of the month, but we'd have to wait and see what kinds of situations we find in apartment hunting...I mean flat hunting, since that's what they are called over there I guess! lol.

What I was thinking about doing the week OF the shows is something different that might just be with me and a group of friends...I havent' decided yet. But it's very cool and it's a situation where I'd PREFER to know the people I'm rooming with fairly well and that they're cool, and fun to be with, etc...But...I *might* take applicants for that, I haven't decided. But anyway, I do know a place...lol...that's RIGHT downtown and more expensive than anything we'd find in Dublin 7 or 9, but less expensive than a hotel, if we all split it...And that's all I'll say here.

As for being a guy, no -- I haven't yay or nayed that yet. I think it just depends on the turnout, here. I'm mostly just feeling this idea out, right now. I may still end up just getting a place on my own, who knows. But, I definitely can't say *absolutely* no to co-ed, because, I mean, I know a guy myself who might be interested. And yeah, I guess you're right, we are all adults...but we're also human, too, ya know? So we'll see. Email me.

I'll be happy to keep you up to speed if you email me....It would be hard to do so via Interference...thx. :)

And cheers to all the Dubliners who are offering advice...It's very nice of you and I really apprecate it!

Anyone In Los Angeles Going To Concert In Ireland ?

I'd like to find other Southern California fans
making the trek to Ireland for the Croke Park show.
It would be great to have a travel buddy to share
the experience with and to help cut hotel costs too. :wink:

I'm from Los Angeles and did the Dublin shows in 1993 for the Zooropa tour. I would love to go there for the shows this year, but am not sure if I will or not. Have you been to Dublin before?

So who's up for Dublin this June?

I most certainly am up for Dublin! :up:

Why? I got 4 GA for 24th thru the pre-sale! YEEAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

but the question is....are any interferencers out there planning to have some kind of get-together in Dublin? Last time for the 1st Slane gig, the get-together was great fun, a lot of laughs and I downed one pint of Guinness too many that weekend! :D

So who's up for another one?

dougal

yep, count me in,too!!!
Come from a far couuntry of slovenija (some 2000km away..), and we drink lager beers- irish drink dark,right?!

We should make a fine gathering up there!

I'll be 26 in April and i'm a Seinor who has a geography major at Arizona State University. I listen to queen, no doubt, aerosmith, rolling stones, good soundtracks like almost famous and So i married an axe murder, etc. Ask about me on the forum, other people know me. I have a physical disability that limits the use of my left arm but this doesn't stop me from traveling to see u2! I don't like to think i am disablred/handicapped because i don't have to, i just live life to its fullest that i can and U2's music makes me feel better as a person. All of my friends think i kick ass as a person. I do like to party but not 'nutso' like you say. Only like 2-3 beers or so. I can do everything on m own pretty much. I do need a little help here and there like small things such as unbuttoning/buttoning the top upper buttons of a shirt and zipping up a coat if its cold out. Nothing major. Plus i like to be with people(u2 fans, even better) so i don't feel lost or alone in the city and so i feel safe, i'm not sure if i am going to share a hotel or motel with some other people i know yet. I'll be there for the U2 shows only until the last croke park gig, then its back to London. I don't even know how much sleeping accomodations are gonna be yet so if you could think about this, i'd be greatful as i am doing the UK shows also.

I have never been to UK/IRE before and i'm looking forward to the culture, food, pubs, etc.

there you go, i painted a picture for you.

Jesse

Last edited:
i personally recommend
MARLBOROUGH HOSTEL or
JACOBS INN HOSTEL-i booked here, it cost me avg. 15€ per night with breakfast,and Croke stadium is near

I still need ticket to the show. Does anybody have any extras tickets to sell? I would perfer the first show, but I'd buy either. I'm still going overseas to Dublin even if I don't have a concert ticket in hand, but it would a lot easier if I at least had a ticket for a show.

I will be there for the 25th show, have booked my flights there and back, so no options for extra nights for me

unchainedmalady said:
I'm 34 and like a joint now and again, thats me fucked, then.

Cheers..............

38 Here, and the same. My schedule has me flying from Amsterdam into Dublin on 6/23 for the shows. 4 days in Holland should last me through the weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom