22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel said:
That is truly unneccessary. I am sick, I wasn't thinking when I made the thread. I work my ass off around here. I am not providing a public service. U2.com is.

There is no reason to insult me just because you take offense that I deliriously made a mistake.

Insult? :confused:
And I didn't take offense. I just made a remark.
:shrug:

Popmartijn said:

Insult? :confused:
And I didn't take offense. I just made a remark.

I think it's an insult to compare me to the editors of U2.com just because I got confused about the date of the show. I am very ill with a terrible cold right now. It caused confusion. It's an insult to me to do make a mean face not knowing what caused my mistake and I felt it was unnecessary.

i_love_adam said:
Also from u2.com show review:

"You knew this was a pretty unusual support act when you saw at least three members of U2 surreptitiously enjoying her set from within the audience."

Whoa! Who was missing? I hope not Adam! But I have a gut feeling Adam was missing. I'll bet U2 were in the Ellispe! Anyone lucky enough to see them there?

We saw Larry in the ellipse during the first night. :drool: I think my heart skipped a beat. :faint: We didn't bother him. He was wearing a cap and said :shh: to the people who were looking at him. Two guys still went up to him and according to them he said, "No, go away, I want to watch the band," or something to that effect.

I was looking around the ellipse on the 2nd night, but couldn't see them.
I didn't see Adam, but the people behind me in the ellipse said he was there too.

HelloAngel said:
I think it's an insult to compare me to the editors of U2.com just because I got confused about the date of the show. I am very ill with a terrible cold right now. It caused confusion. It's an insult to me to do make a mean face not knowing what caused my mistake and I felt it was unnecessary.

Whatever...

Get well.

Popmartijn said:

Isn't that what everyone says and does around here when there is a mistake?
In a sense, this place is no different than U2.com.

:|

Nah, people just liking taking swipes at U2.com. :eyebrow:

As a frequenter of both U2.com and this forum, I'd say the U2.com posters are bit nicer...unless you ask the name of the song that comes on before U2 go on stage.

There is a stickied post, on every subforum with the name of the song...still gets asked.

You get some snippy comments, goofy answers, or some nice people who say the name of the song.

Popmartijn said:

Whatever...

Seriously... what is your deal? Why the snide attitude? Your "comment" made me feel like shit. I'd understand if I had made a big booboo, but to treat me in such a manner is really unfounded here just because I got confused on a date in a thread. And to say "whatever" is just icing on the cake.

But yeah thanks! Whatever :up: :happy:

dizzy said:

We saw Larry in the ellipse during the first night. :drool: I think my heart skipped a beat. :faint: We didn't bother him. He was wearing a cap and said :shh: to the people who were looking at him. Two guys still went up to him and according to them he said, "No, go away, I want to watch the band," or something to that effect.

I was looking around the ellipse on the 2nd night, but couldn't see them.
I didn't see Adam, but the people behind me in the ellipse said he was there too.

larry was in the ellipse on 11/21?? where was he standing?? that's so cool!!!

HelloAngel said:
But yeah thanks! Whatever :up: :happy:

Indeed "whatever". :happy:
You have your opinion on these remarks, I have mine (which is different from yours). Whatever, we disagree and that's that. We shrug it away and move on.

:)

Popmartijn said:

Indeed "whatever". :happy:
You have your opinion on these remarks, I have mine (which is different from yours). Whatever, we disagree and that's that. We shrug it away and move on.

:)

So, in your mind, you find it to be just fine to be rude when someone makes an honest and absentminded mistake, and then insult them? You think that because I cocked up a date on a thread and quickly fixed it that I deserve your attitude. Is that basically what you're saying?

HelloAngel said:
So, in your mind, you find it to be just fine to be rude when someone makes an honest and absentminded mistake, and then insult them? You think that because I cocked up a date on a thread and quickly fixed it that I deserve your attitude. Is that basically what you're saying?

No. My opinion is that I didn't think the comment was rude.

*Ally* said:

larry was in the ellipse on 11/21?? where was he standing?? that's so cool!!!

I know. I was so starstruck like it was my first time to see him in person. :laugh: He was in the back by the rail towards The Edge's side.

Re: Re: 22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

Rafiennes said:
But THE highlight for me (and I’m sorry for the rambling here) – but the number one thing was when Jill took my hand during “I Still Haven’t Found” and put it on her belly and my baby was kicking along to the song… I’m a big ol wussy cos I teared up (I’m even tearing up a little writing this right now) but it was amazing that my baby was enjoying the concert as well…

One of the best U2 experiences I’ve ever had

That's so sweet - makes me tear up to :hug:

Congratulations to the both of you!

15_2_126.gif

U2girl91289 said:
My mom thought that even though Bono was incredible last night that maybe he wasn't feeling well or was tired or something. Could that explain the ending?

I thought he looked fine

It appeared Bono had some difficulties in getting his voiced warmed up for the first few (four or so) songs. The coughing bit in Electric Co., I think, cleared it up. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: 22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

Lila64 said:

That's so sweet - makes me tear up to :hug:

Congratulations to the both of you!

15_2_126.gif

Seriously, where do you find these amazing smilies!! (EDIT, now that I've quoted your message, I now know how you do it!) :ohmy:

I hate to be the dissenting voice here, but I feel someone should say it...

I was at the 2nd MSG show - my first ever at this venue (I'm Australian), but probably around the 15th time i've seen the band live. Going back to the BB King "Love comes to town" tour in '89.

To be completely honest, this was probably the most disappointing show I've seen.

It was clear to me that Bono's voice, which has been in trouble for a while, is getting worse. I recall the notes he used to be able to hit, and at times I cringed as he went straight to falsetto or shouting to get himself out of trouble.

In addition, I felt that the sound quality was atrocious. Both lyrics and music were horribly distorted, at times beyond recognition. I'm not sure if this was an issue limited to the side of the stage or not (i was in s.331, directly level with the front of the stage), or if this is the usual concert sound quality at MSG, but I was've surprised at how bad it was.

Song selection was fine - obviously you can't keep everyone happy here (i personally was disappointed that my all-time fave track "Bad" was cut despite being played the previous night).

The lighting to me was the highlight. As the first concert i've seen on this tour it was my first exposure to the "beaded curtain" effect, and i thought it was terrific - enabling the band to play to a 360 degree audience.

whilst i'm never going to NOT enjoy a U2 show, i will remember this one my first time at MSG rather than a particularly memorable gig.

Fingers crossed Bono gets off the cigarettes or something before they hit Australia in March, because based on his voice last night, i'm not sure it's worth lining up for tickets....

great band... shame about the sound.

I think that the sound issues were all MSG's fault. The sound was kind of wonky at Paul McCartney in October so....

I actually thought his voice was good- especially in holding the tenor notes.

The sound at the garden has never ever been good, its just the nature of the beast, period end of story.

we were in the ellipse and the sound was actually the best Ive heard so far in all the shows we've been to this year. The sound was terrible the first night from outside the ellipse on the center/adam side right on the rail. The hanging speakers were blasting us on the top of the head and I think I was deaf for a day afterwards. It sounded muddy and weird. But from the ellipse the sound was way better!
It actually sounded like bono singing and not some 12year old girl.

We had Michael Stipe standing behind us for a bit in the beginning of the show but then he disappeared. I dont blame the guy!

There were some comments on Bono being upset that he got squirted with water but that is really unlikely. He was standing right in front of us and he was lauging and smiling, and apparently enjoying himself :shrug: There was no hint of irritation.
Ive got no idea about the weird ending to the show. All I know is that the crew were frantically tearing apart everything before the lights even came back on :scratch: We were right on the rail and a guy was throwing peoples stuff off of it and taking all the screws out of the railing while we were still wondering if they were coming back on to play some more. Then they were more insistent than usual about getting us out of the building. I think it was just a time restraint or something. Definitely not Larry getting spit on or bono's back going out :wink:

It was pretty gross seeing Patti Smith spitting all over the place though :yuck:

The set was somewhat disappointing considering it was almost the same as the night before, and a cool thing about living on the sidewalk for two days straight is seeing two different shows. Not the same one.

I've been reading about the rush to get offstage and getting people out of the building. I wonder if there wasn't a bomb threat or something? I certainly hope not.

dizzy said:

haha :lmao:

Now i believe Adam was there. From PLEBA, some people said that he was watching Arcade Fire from the Ellispe with his big bodyguard!!!! Apparently Adam loves the opener! I suppose Bono was in there too- he loves Patti! Maybe Edge was missing?

It was pretty gross seeing Patti Smith spitting all over the place though :yuck:

THANK YOU! We felt the same. I think this was a bad move to have her up there...i understand they wish to honor her as someone they idolized, but a poor decision, IMO.

U2girl91289 said:
My mom thought that even though Bono was incredible last night that maybe he wasn't feeling well or was tired or something. Could that explain the ending?
I actually had the same feeling after the show. Also, it seemed to me he kind of had difficulty singing - particularly in the Pavarotti part of Miss Sarajevo - did you notice? Maybe he was not feeling well after all, that`s why the abrupt ending...

MTEdge said:
It appeared Bono had some difficulties in getting his voiced warmed up for the first few (four or so) songs. The coughing bit in Electric Co., I think, cleared it up. :wink: [/B]
Exactly! And I also think Miss Sarajevo was not exactly great... It`s not that I didn`t enjoy the show anyway :wink:

aussie_fan said:
It was clear to me that Bono's voice, which has been in trouble for a while, is getting worse. I recall the notes he used to be able to hit, and at times I cringed as he went straight to falsetto or shouting to get himself out of trouble.

In addition, I felt that the sound quality was atrocious. Both lyrics and music were horribly distorted, at times beyond recognition. I'm not sure if this was an issue limited to the side of the stage or not (i was in s.331, directly level with the front of the stage), or if this is the usual concert sound quality at MSG, but I was've surprised at how bad it was.

Song selection was fine - obviously you can't keep everyone happy here (i personally was disappointed that my all-time fave track "Bad" was cut despite being played the previous night).

The lighting to me was the highlight. As the first concert i've seen on this tour it was my first exposure to the "beaded curtain" effect, and i thought it was terrific - enabling the band to play to a 360 degree audience.

whilst i'm never going to NOT enjoy a U2 show, i will remember this one my first time at MSG rather than a particularly memorable gig.

Fingers crossed Bono gets off the cigarettes or something before they hit Australia in March, because based on his voice last night, i'm not sure it's worth lining up for tickets....

great band... shame about the sound.
I agree with you 100%!

U2girl91289 said:
I think that the sound issues were all MSG's fault. The sound was kind of wonky at Paul McCartney in October so....

I actually thought his voice was good- especially in holding the tenor notes.
I don`t now about the sound at MSG - by the way, I think it was much better on their October 10th show - but speaking of Bono`s voice I would disagree with you, as I stated above...

Back
Top Bottom