Hawaii concert.... cameras allowed? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Hawaii concert.... cameras allowed?

Is there anyone going to this show that knows if they are allowing cameras? Just want to double check. I'd hate to take it with me only to have them tell me its not allowed. I am NOT going back aaaallll the way back to the stupid hotel and miss the damn show.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 AM
I'm taking mine and it's a pretty huge digital camera. If they threaten to take it and are serious, I'd rather turn over the batteries (and card if I HAD to) and not take it back. Since I'm a female, I have a handy trick that's got my camera (in my purse) past security every time, even in venues that were being bitchy

Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Refugee

well, care to share what your "secret" is? My girlfriend & I are going so anything that would help us?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa man
well, care to share what your "secret" is? My girlfriend & I are going so anything that would help us?
Sure, why not: I get a plastic bag and fill it with tampons and pads. I put the camera in the bottom of my purse. I try to keep the memory cards and batteries in various pockets, so my purse is not heavy. Then I put the she-products on top of the camera. When they feel them or ask me to open my purse, they're like "...ok" and don't dig any farther
Old 11-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Sure, why not: I get a plastic bag and fill it with tampons and pads. I put the camera in the bottom of my purse. I try to keep the memory cards and batteries in various pockets, so my purse is not heavy. Then I put the she-products on top of the camera. When they feel them or ask me to open my purse, they're like "...ok" and don't dig any farther
Yes, this trick works wonders!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
War Child

Classic! Great idea.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
Refugee

LOL LOL Cool! I'll tell my girl to do that!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Refugee

Many, many people take cameras. The venue will be turning half of the crowd away if they try to enforce any sort of no camera rule.

Just put some extra batteries in your pocket in case they take the ones in your camera.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
New Yorker

Good ideas guys. I am going to the concert with a girl as well. But, U2 always lets in cameras and with most American venues, it goes by rule of the band.

SMB
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
New Yorker

I think the standard rule has been no xSLR cameras, that is, the ones with the interchangeable lenses, or 'pro' cameras.

Point and shoots and your average digitals should be fine.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Camera (a smallish digital) down the front of my pants always does the trick for me. I usually tie a sweatshirt around my waist with the sleeves hanging over the camera. No security guard has dared to search me there !
Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Bonneau
Good ideas guys. I am going to the concert with a girl as well. But, U2 always lets in cameras and with most American venues, it goes by rule of the band.

SMB
This is true but if U2 doesn't let the venue staff now there will be problems.

This happened in Indianapolis in 2001. U2 Staff had to inform them to let cameras in.

Monterrey they said no cameras. Again and Again and again no cameras................ So my friend didn't bring his in and he's from there. Most a lot of people had camera phones and some got their cameras in.

I haven't decided on whether or not to bring my camera. I have so many pictures but I can't decide.

I love my Kodak with a 10x optical zoom!!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I usually hide mine under an enema.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by skjuls

I haven't decided on whether or not to bring my camera. I have so many pictures but I can't decide.

I love my Kodak with a 10x optical zoom!!
I also have a 10x optical, so my camera is every bit as big as an SLR, but it's not. That's why I've always gone with the tampon trick, it's easier than convincing security I don't have a professional lens. I think I'm bringing mine in. I'd rather not use it, then want to have it. My camera case is really annoying to have over my shoulder, so my little sis is making me one of those dorky drawstring backpack/purses so it's not constantly falling off my shoulder if I decided not to use it.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:

I also have a 10x optical, so my camera is every bit as big as an SLR, but it's not. That's why I've always gone with the tampon trick, it's easier than convincing security I don't have a professional lens. I think I'm bringing mine in. I'd rather not use it, then want to have it. My camera case is really annoying to have over my shoulder, so my little sis is making me one of those dorky drawstring backpack/purses so it's not constantly falling off my shoulder if I decided not to use it.
see if you take yours and share pix then I won't take mine.

I didn't take mine to Monterrey my first stadium show and I was front row center!

but cameras were iffy there!

I have a great pic with Bono looking at me when I'm taking the picture. Awesome!

I'm in love with my camera!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:03 PM
I wish I knew how to use mine properly. Not to mention the constant battery problem
Old 11-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I'll take mine and I always share! There are certain songs I forbid myself from taking pics during, though, namely COBL (if it opens), Pride, and Streets. Miss Sarajevo and Yahweh I usually film. If I don't limit myself, I end up watching the entire show through a camera lens. Once I start taking pics, it's really hard for me to stop.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I wish I knew how to use mine properly. Not to mention the constant battery problem
Yeah some shows I've changed batteries two or three times, since my expensive rechargeables conveniently died in the spring of 2005, just after the warranty expired.

This awesome guy in the Pittsburgh GA line gave me a 15 minute lesson on taking concert photos and how to setup the camera if I didn't want to keep changing it.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Well, I'll take mine and I always share! There are certain songs I forbid myself from taking pics during, though, namely COBL (if it opens), Pride, and Streets. Miss Sarajevo and Yahweh I usually film. If I don't limit myself, I end up watching the entire show through a camera lens. Once I start taking pics, it's really hard for me to stop.
I can't stop either.

Then I get some video.

I have some great video of Bono and Larry on the drum since they were right in front of me.

I had to figure out my camera.

My no hassle way is to make sure the flash is off and let camera do it automatically either sport or auto.

It was too hard for me to do the speed and aperture. the camera usually can take a good pic even when it is flashing the flash symbol at me. the picture doesn't need a flash with all the stage lighting!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:

Yeah some shows I've changed batteries two or three times, since my expensive rechargeables conveniently died in the spring of 2005, just after the warranty expired.

This awesome guy in the Pittsburgh GA line gave me a 15 minute lesson on taking concert photos and how to setup the camera if I didn't want to keep changing it.
OOOH I want a lesson!!