'Pop' songs on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stargift

The Fly
of course the tour has just barely got rolling, but so far no 'pop' songs. i know bono had made the statement that larry would like to have a re-do the 'pop' songs project. do you think that we might be surprised by some really re-worked versions from 'pop' on this tour? this would be the only practical way to revive any that they were really disappointed in when the album came out. i know that on previous tours they have already greatly improved two or three of them.

They need to play PLEASE just like they did in 97. Absolute highlight of that tour and one of the greatest live moments in the bands career.

Yes Please would be nice. There are a lot of tunes from Pop I would like to hear on the tour. I would really like to hear MOFO one more time live, but I doubt that will happen. Miami would also kick ass! I can't imagine what they could do with that song.

I think for them to 'remake' the songs off of Pop is worthless. The songs are just fine, yes there are some technical glitches and hiccups, and the album version of Please has Adam's bass coming in off key....but we get the gist of the songs. I think people are misconstruding 're-WORK' with 're-MAKE'. I think if they RE-WORK the songs thats fine...but to re-MAKE is to do all over again from scratch. They ain't gonna do that, so if you don't like Pop now, you'll NEVER like it regardless of how they re-WORK it.

Last edited:
Sure, I could see them revisiting certain songs from Pop and play them live. I could see Gone/Last Night on Earth/Please all appearing. Then perhaps Discoteche would make an appearance in Europe...

Please... Last Night On Earth... If God Will Send His Angels...

Those three would be killer to see. But I'd be happy enough with just Please. :drool:

ElectricalVoice said:
Miami would also kick ass! I can't imagine what they could do with that song.

They actually played Miami in early Popmart shows. IMO, it was one of the highlights of the show. The screaming part combined with Edge's ripping guitar riff... incredible!

Personally, I think Pop is one of their finest albums. Better than the last two by far. For 7 years or so they were pushing the boundaries of what U2 was and what U2, and rock in roll, could be. Then it didn't sell (as much) and they went around apologizing for it and started putting songs like wild honey and grace on albums. Nothing wrong with those songs, but are they really new or innovative? Or better than most of their b-sides? I think not. Do You Feel Loved would be great to hear-- they only did it the first few dates of Popmart. Mofo, please, last night, miami, gone, discotheque... any of these would be great. Imagine if they did like any 3 in a row in the middle of the current set! It would blow any of the fanatics (us) away! And put into sharp contrast their current material. It ain't gonna happen, but it would be fun. Thank you for my soap box moment.

They have already reworked half the albums anyways. Discotheque, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, and Please have all been almost completely remixed with slightly differant takes on the Greatest Hits/Singles. Minor changes where made all this plus MoFo, and Velvet Dress live, and the remixes shape the songs more like the live versions. Not unlike the Wild Horses single. Right now you a reworked Pop like this-

Discotheque-Mike Hedges Mix
Do You Feel Loved
MoFo
If God Will Send His Angels-Single Mix
Staring at the Sun-Mike Hedges Mix
Last Night on Earth-Single Mix
Gone-Mike Hedges Mix
The Playboy Mansion
Miami
If You Wear THat Velvet Dress
Please-Single Mix
Wake Up Dead Man

to be honest I don't think they should "fix" the other songs. I kind of prefer the original Angels, and Gone. And IMO the others don't need to be fixed. The live MoFo is more classic U2, but the album has a personality all it's own, adn the singles it just sounds like they completed the ideas they didn't have time to complete (Please, Discotheque).

I have also not heard the Discotheque/Staring at the Sun version from Elevation yet, so this might be a further remade version.

I experienced "vertigo" when I saw them play Velvet Dress on PopMart. The big mirrorball lemon made the entire Ohio Stadium spin slowly....BEAUTIFUL!! It was Heaven on Earth and I want to go back! :angel:

It's unfortunate you can't get this same feeling from the Mexico DVD. :sad:

I wish we could all be at the same show, because I would whip you into shape and we would perform a POP song by ourselves, and we'd leave U2 and the audience just standing and staring. I bet that would help them get the message for the next shows.

Originally dropp'd by Powerministries:
Personally, I think Pop is one of their finest albums. Better than the last two by far. For 7 years or so they were pushing the boundaries of what U2 was and what U2, and rock in roll, could be. Then it didn't sell (as much) and they went around apologizing for it and started putting songs like wild honey and grace on albums. Nothing wrong with those songs, but are they really new or innovative? Or better than most of their b-sides? I think not. Do You Feel Loved would be great to hear-- they only did it the first few dates of Popmart. Mofo, please, last night, miami, gone, discotheque... any of these would be great. Imagine if they did like any 3 in a row in the middle of the current set! It would blow any of the fanatics (us) away! And put into sharp contrast their current material. It ain't gonna happen, but it would be fun. Thank you for my soap box moment

Wrrraaaaaahhh!! Let's make it happen! But, right on, Powerministries! At least some people aren't afraid to speak out in support of POP.

RadRacer said:
I wish we could all be at the same show, because I would whip you into shape and we would perform a POP song by ourselves, and we'd leave U2 and the audience just standing and staring. I bet that would help them get the message for the next shows.

Wrrraaaaaahhh!! Let's make it happen! But, right on, Powerministries! At least some people aren't afraid to speak out in support of POP.

Thank you RedRacer. And I will always speak out in support of Pop. You can argue where it falls in terms of highpoint of the catalogue, but you can't argue with the fact that it was the last time the band truly tried something new, innovative, and cool. The last 2 albums just can't touch it, or really anything else they've done.
But damn, they did the Ocean tonight in LA, and I couldn't get off and drive from Vegas. I mean that would have blown my mind. Fucked with my head real good. Sorry to get off subject, but someone said they hadn't done it in 23years!
Pop rules!

I would love to hear he whole of the pop album done as an encore.

Larry really loves the album just as it is as well

:wink:

Cheers

Jick

Wouldn't mind hearing Mofo or please the beautifull '97 version again..discotheque??? love the albumversion...absolutely HATE the live version,sorry...

If God would send his angels would be cool as a snippet when I think about it...

Running to stand still (people keep screaming still running)
igwsha with piano (first verse plus chorus only)
oots starts as a pianosong ends full band
seques into streets

or

Running to stand still (people keep screaming still running)
igwsha with guitar Bono (first verse plus chorus only)->Sycmioyo
no regrets....synth of streets starts

Discotheque or MoFo are needed for opening night in toronto. it will be the best way to kick off the third leg of the tour.

I don't understand people who prefer album version of discotheque to live performance. On Popmart the song had such an improvement, mayby you only listened to the 1st leg? I don't know, if yes- go check Leeds, Sarajevo or Mexico versions which are all briliant! Especially I recommend Leeds performance with added snippets of Whole Lotta Love and Black Betty. (?)

If they were to pull one song, I think it would be 'Wake Up Deadman'

A more dreamy setlist would include MOFO.

The holy trinity of Pop Live songs has to show up on this tour:
Please
Gone
Last Night on Earth

Back
Top Bottom