New York Shows Lack of Variation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm curious. And don't lie, you are too.

U2 loves New York City. They say they do (but don't they say that about a lot of cities - Boston, Chi...).

Anyway... we had 8 shows... great shows... but I'm not positive 100%, but we didn't get some of the hidden gems that U2 played other places...

WALK ON for one

This isn't a bitch thread. This is a why thread.

Why would they seem to play the same setlist in NYC as opposed to Boston or whereever that had more mixup?

Do they think that people in NYC only see a show once? No. Is it they give their A setlist every night?

And why did the NYC mini tour end with a cover? I was thinking All Because of You because it was 1 year ago that they were on the flatbed truck.

i think that 'instant karma' with patti smith was a real treat for NYCers- definitely one of the highlights of the tour for me. i'd much prefer that unique performance over 'all because of you', which until recently they'd played in every city on the tour. :up:

clerks said:
I'm curious. And don't lie, you are too.

U2 loves New York City. They say they do (but don't they say that about a lot of cities - Boston, Chi...).

Anyway... we had 8 shows... great shows... but I'm not positive 100%, but we didn't get some of the hidden gems that U2 played other places...

WALK ON for one

This isn't a bitch thread. This is a why thread.

Why would they seem to play the same setlist in NYC as opposed to Boston or whereever that had more mixup?

Do they think that people in NYC only see a show once? No. Is it they give their A setlist every night?

And why did the NYC mini tour end with a cover? I was thinking All Because of You because it was 1 year ago that they were on the flatbed truck.

I know several people who went to multiple shows (I only went to one). It's a drop in the bucket and I do think most people in attendance have seen this show once (that is, it's their first time). What ruined some of it for me was knowing beforehand what they have been playing - next time, I'm gonna try to steer clear of it, though I'm a setlist junkie...:|

Re: Re: New York Shows Lack of Variation

I have to agree with those that have said it in the past that if the Stones can mix it up every night (only other band i can think of on tour that has prices in U2's realm (obviously even higher)), then U2 could do the same.

I saw U2 four times (at great personal expense - could have gotten another great guitar) at MSG and i keep going back even though i am always a bit disappointed at their lack of variation. Isn't that what the B man's teleprompter is for? :wink:

Walk On :drool:

It was a little disappointing that there was so little variation from 11/21 and 11/222 (Electric Co vs. I Will Follow, really). I wonder why there was less variation in NY than other places -- one theory is that the band wants to give "its best" setlist to NYC because a) it's one of their favorites and b) because so many of their friends/industry people are there.

Right now, this setlist (featuring UTEOTW in the first encore, and acoustic material in the 2nd) seems to be the one they favor. In October, it featured the newly-discovered "The First Time" kicking off the encore.

out of control
i will follow
all i want is you
electric co
gloria
zoo station
the fly
until the end of the world
mysterious ways
the first time
stuck in a moment
whos gonna ride your wild horses
bad
vertigox2
instant karma
crumbs from your table
fast cars
original of the species
miracle drug

all these songs were rotated in or out of the setlist at MSG since the october dates. in may they also had played an cat dubh and into the heart. so MSG received quite a bit of variation- just in small doses and not all at once.

hi everyone--i'm new to the board, but i'm a longtime fan. i saw u2 6 times on the elevation tour and i saw them last night at msg (my only vertigo show).

i just wanted to reply to a couple of things i read in this thread. i'm from nyc, and the tickets were just so much more ridiculously in-demand than the elevation tour. it was A LOT easier to get tickets in 2001. that said, had tickets been easier to acquire, i probably would have went to more than one show. my friend and i were incredibly lucky last night. after waiting in line in the the cold, we found a couple that just wanted $200 each for tix that were $170 face.

and as far as other bands that play varied setlists; i can't believe that no one has mentioned pearl jam. they mix up their setlists more than any other current touring act and their tickets are never more than $40-$50 for every seat in the house.

None of the people complaining about they NYC shows are different from everybody else. Everybody wants their city to be "special" to U2. Yes, the number of garden shows is a big deal, but until there's an O' Connell Street running through Manhattan, NYC won't be any different than all of the other US cities.

I guess it's kind of like everything else to do with New York... the fans blow up how much the shows are going to rock. And they do rock. But no more than a show in Phoenix or whatever.

The crowd might be more into it, but U2 always seems to be into the show. I've seem them in 6 cities, and they always bring it.

So, not that they are lying, but they are always trying to make the place that night feel like it's their home away from home.

Kind of like the Red Sox vs Yankess rivalry. Boston fans (me) vs the New York fans. But when you watch the games, Jeter is talking to Ortiz, Manny has friends on New York. The players don't care. It's the cities that care.

And for sure, U2 is loved more in NYC and Boston than any other cities. Makes sense really.

But I guess you get blinded by the hype. That U2 in MSG is better than anywhere else, except maybe Boston. You can't deny that's what most on this board (including me) think.

But in reality, it's not 100 times better. It's the same.

In fact, MSG view from the seats are great, but the sound isn't as good to me as other venues. Boston sounded much better to me.

I guess it was my own fault to think that something more would happen just because I feel like it should have happened.

I live in NYC, from Boston, so I feel I guess entitled to the best show ever. A better show.

And that's my fault. Yeah, at least, I know.

:wink: :wink:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found...
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species
Sometimes You Can't... / Human Rights Declaration
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Running To Stand Still
One

Crumbs From Your Table
With Or Without You
Where The Streets Have No Name

Yahweh
Bad

That's how they should have mixed it up...

theu2fly said:
Vertigo
All Because Of You
I Will Follow
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found...
City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species
Sometimes You Can't... / Human Rights Declaration
New Year's Day
Running To Stand Still
One

Crumbs From Your Table
With Or Without You

Yahweh
Bad

No, because parts of that set really suck, especially Sometimes into UTEOTW.

I guess, if it aint broke, dont fix it.
The band must see what they're doing is working...sure the setlists were pretty satic...but as someone has listed the songs , they did get a bit of rotation.

theu2fly said:

Something that has a flow would be nice...

November Night I:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Electric Co.
Gloria
Beautiful Day
Original Of The Species
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
The First Time
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo / Human Rights
Pride
Streets
One / Ol Man River

Encore:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Encore II:
All Because Of You
Yahweh
"40"

November Night II:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Out Of Control
Electric Co
The Ocean
Beautilful Day
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
Pride
Streets
One / MLK

Encore:
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Encore II:
All Because Of You
Party Girl
"40"
Vertigo

I hate posting setlists here sometimes....but Elevation had its "Zoo TV" nights...so here would be Vertigo's:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Gloria
The Ocean
Beautiful Day
One / Old Man River
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Orginal Of The Species

Encore:
The First Time
Stuck In A Moment
With Or Without You

Encore Break II:
All Because Of You
Yahweh
Bad

I have to say I'm a bit surprised there wasnt more variety in NY. Especially during the 5 night stint earlier on the third leg. I think some of the posts are correct, they like to do their best setlist there and stick with what they think works. The other "guess" or "theory" I would have about it is this. They have places in NY. They have alot of friends in NY. I think when they are playing there they do alot of other stuff besides playing the shows (IE, parties, openings, visiting, etc..). For U2 to change it up they need to work on it in soundcheck. When you are out partying and doing other things you dont soundcheck. Again, just a guess on my part. But from what I heard the band arrived pretty late for most of the NY shows. Which typically means they were doing other things as they were obviously staying in town and not doing a runner.

New York is one of U2's cities. They have indicated previously that one of the best shows they have ever done was played at the first MSG show on the first leg of Elevation. I guess we can see what happens in Boston for the last two shows there. If the mix it up a little then I think the theories listed on this thread may have more validity.

Axver said:

No, because parts of that set really suck, especially Sometimes into UTEOTW.

And WOWY into Streets, and the whole Still Havent Found-Sometimes section, even COBL isn't enough to save that section from putting the audience to sleep.

Vertigo never did anything for me as an opener (I've only heard boots, but still). City and even Love and Peace worked much better.

Back
Top Bottom