MERGED-->One Tree Hill in Oakland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilm

Acrobat
One Tree Hill in San Francisco

U2.com have the set list for the first night in San Francisco showing One Tree Hill snippeted during One.

Can anyone who was there confirm this and if so, how much of One Tree Hill was played?

Go check out the Audio/Video forum, there's mobile phone footage of it. It's the first verse through to the first instance of "run like a river to the sea".

One Tree Hill in Oakland

I just got into work from a meeting and have another one in 15 minutes, but I just scanned the setlist party thread from Oakland and I think the One Tree Hill snippet deserves its own thread.

All I can say is that I still have chiils and goosebumps from reading that they snippeted that song last night.

Clearly this is a hint as to what is to come, but as I have said before, and will say again - this is my favorite song of all time. It has great emotional value to me due to a number of events in my life and the fact that the band brought this one back (not played since '93 I think) just reinstates my love for this band.

Obviously props to Axver - as he clearly shares my love of this song, but moreso because it is becoming clearer and clearer that the guys are going to make it to his part of the world.

Does anyone know exactly what verse or snippet was played and sung last night? Also - anyone have a file of this? it would mean a lot to me.

If this turns into a full song in the shows rotation, I will simply start to pay almost anything for a ticket to another show.

If you cannot tell, I am floored by this and for various reasons I am feeling very emotional that they played this snippet.

I dunno - maybe I am rambling, but the Oakland show to me looks like one of the best on the tour to date.

Wow.

...I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon turns red over ONE TREE HILL...

They wrote the lyrics on a large sheet of paper and put it down at Bono's feet.

I didn't want it to end....

Hmm... does this mean U2 will play One Tree Hill in NZ?

I'd imagine it would go like this...

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
The Electric Co.
The Ocean
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One Tree Hill
City Of Blinding Lights

And then the rest of the setlist standard...

ONH Dedication Question

Bono discussed it for a bit with Edge before they did it - and then he said it was for "Lara" or "Laura"...but I don't know the details about who or what that means - anyway, there's a tiny bit more info...

Woah - snippeting One Tree Hill is a promising thing indeed! If they were to do a full band version of that song tonight, I could die a happy man.

khris said:
Bono discussed it for a bit with Edge before they did it - and then he said it was for "Lara" or "Laura"...but I don't know the details about who or what that means - anyway, there's a tiny bit more info...

No - for Jara (pronounched chara)

"Jara" refers to Victor Jara, a folk singer from Chile who was killed after a military uprising for his political beliefs.

From One Tree Hill:

And in the world a heart of darkness
a fire zone
Where poets speak their heart
then bleed for it
Jara sang - his song a weapon
In the hands of love
You know his blood still cries
From the Ground

In my opinion one of the most moving and well-written (even on Bono standards) songs ever.

So touching.

i was there. I clearly heard "Lauren"

Still can't believe that I actually witnessed even a snippet of that song. Great moment to say the least.

I was there too. I think Lauren is the girl who handed Bono the lyrics (to One Tree Hill) as he was walking on the catwalk (during Streets, I believe).

Great great snippet. Unfortunately I doubt we will hear the full version of this song (except maybe in NZ).

Cheers,
-Cyril

Was at the show, snippet sounded great. Was hilarious to see fans leave for the bathroom thinking the band was leaving the stage as usual after "One". Guess they missed out big time. :wink:

Has anyone heard the 1993 NZ versions of One Tree Hill?

Was it a snippet, a full electric version, what? Setlists show it came after One and before Unchained Melody on the two kiwi shows, Dec. 1, 1993 in Christchurch and Dec. 4, 1993 in Auckland.

broken toy said:

Was it a snippet, a full electric version, what? Setlists show it came after One and before Unchained Melody on the two kiwi shows, Dec. 1, 1993 in Christchurch and Dec. 4, 1993 in Auckland.

Incomprehensibly, it was only a snippet.

Re: One Tree Hill in Oakland

ouizy said:

Obviously props to Axver - as he clearly shares my love of this song.

...I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon turns red over ONE TREE HILL...

You are not alone!

i was there too, and was kind of disappointed to see so many people completely unaware of what they were witnessing. most of the people around me looked pretty disinterested.
of course, these were the same people who sat down during miss sarajevo, so i guess it was to be expected. :(

i feel so lucky to have heard one tree hill live. i hope it makes its way into the setlist at future shows, preferably full band.

Um, yeah, you guys are pretty lucky, I guess you have Lauren to thank...That song is unreal, could be one of their top 5...

"When the moon turns red..." lyric at the end is just so beauitful... One of the many that have propelled Bono into a select company of songwriters such as Dylan, Lennon, Simon...

The version on St. Stephens at the Point, Dublin (12/26/89) is just incredible...

I was there and damn it was definetly the coolest moment in the show!

And I could have swore it was for Laura or Laurie as well?! Whoever it was thanks a ton! Made my freakin show!

broken toy said:

This recording has notoriously been known for it's bad sound, but I really, really appreciate the taper for being there with his deck - cheers, whoever you are!

Anyway, I've remastered the recording of One/One Tree Hill as I thought that this was, and still IS, an important piece of U2 live history.

The original recording of this track has, amazingly, no audience noise to spoil it - even when the band go into OTH the crowd go mad then very quickly quiten down to show a graceful respect to the meaning of the song (you could hear a pin drop!).

Bono closing lines of "We run like a river to the sea" (which he repeats over and over) never sounded soooooo beautiful.

Enjoy (320 kbps) http:// s .com/projects.php?pid=370823
(replace the ' s ' with savefile)

Axver, One Tree Hill Thoughts

I was in the front rows at both Oakland shows, and when they played One Tree Hill, I stopped to think how much you were freaking out.

Both were great shows, by the way.

(Never Say Never was snippeted before Rockaway Beach in Vertigo)

Wow - this shows the impact of this forum. You were in the front row of a U2 show in California, and when they started to play a rare song, you thought of someone here who lives thousands of miles away.

Well done my friend, well done.

:up:

Re: Axver, One Tree Hill Thoughts

jcoriha said:
I was in the front rows at both Oakland shows, and when they played One Tree Hill, I stopped to think how much you were freaking out.

That snippet and then the official U2.com announcement that U2's coming to NZ have meant I've been grinning my face off for the last two days. I can't quite express how happy I am.

The video of the OTH snippet is amaaaazing :drool:

Consider me jealous you got to see it, and so close too!

(Never Say Never was snippeted before Rockaway Beach in Vertigo)

Which show do you mean, the second one?

ouizy said:
Wow - this shows the impact of this forum. You were in the front row of a U2 show in California, and when they started to play a rare song, you thought of someone here who lives thousands of miles away.

Well done my friend, well done.

:up:

Yeah, this is quite true!

I'm incredibly touched by all the people who've thought of me over the last couple of days. It's really amazing. I've spent some time blushing as well as grinning my face off lately.

Personally - I think Bono butchered the snippet - prob because he forgot the tune (which is fine, I mean fuck - he did sing it).

Thanks for posting the audio file - it is really appreciated.

Can anyone tell me where the video file is?

Back
Top Bottom