Let's Be Realistic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clawgrabber

War Child
Los Angeles, California (There Is No End To Love)
Look, we all know they are never gonna play Acrobat or Some Days are better than others or Zooropa

everyone is always talking about pop and zooropa.

so, lets be realistic for once. what songs actually stand a chance at being played from those albums:

look at the stats.

From zooropa, the only songs that ever played live are:

zooropa
babyface
numb
lemon
stay
daddy's gonna pay...
dirty day
the first time (snippet)

but that is all inclusive.

looking at major setlists (i.e. what was added to the main show for any real length of time), and ignoring snippets, that list is reduced to:

numb
lemon
stay
daddy's gonna pay...
dirty day

the only one of those songs to ever get played on more than one tour is

stay (elevation tour)

lets to the same for pop:
the songs played live are:

discotheque
do you feel loved
if god will send his angels
staring at the sun
last night on earth
gone
miami
playboy mansion (snippet)
if you wear that velvet dress
please
wake up dead man

this one is more technical

songs that fell by the wayside throughout the course of the popmart tour (telling me that U2 decided they didn't make the live cut):

do you feel loved
if god will send his angels
miami

looking at major setlists (i.e. what was added to the main show for any real length of time), and ignoring snippets, that list is reduced to:

discotheque
staring at the sun
last night on earth
gone
please
wake up dead man

some would argue that wake up dead man as it has been played live has always counted as a snippet (at least i do), being that it has never been played in its entirety, and has mostly been played with no drums or bass. so we drop it. besides, when it shows up on other tours, people don't stop complaining that songs from pop aren't being played, so it must not count...

that leaves:

discotheque
staring at the sun
last night on earth
gone
please

of those songs, the only ones that got more than one tour are:

discotheque
staring at the sun
gone
please
(all elevation-please was acoustic)

so our realistic wishlist is boiled down to

stay
discotheque
staring at the sun
gone
please

and for a while i thought hold me thrill me kiss me kill me might show up since it was on the greatest hits, but i don't think that will happen either.

i think any of these songs would be great additions to the current tour. but will they? staring at the sun would either be a snippet or an acoustic version, as U2 seems to have sworn off the full version long ago.

me personally, i think that LAST NIGHT ON EARTH would be the best choice as it would be a nice surprise and is a great rocker to get the fans up (even one time concertgoers know that song)

but that will neverhappen. lets be realistic

i think it is time for even better than the real thing

Two corrections:
- Mofo was played live. It featured at every Popmart show.
- Please was played full band on Elevation; 19 October 2001, Baltimore.

More thought-out comments coming when I'm not rushed.

I don't see why you're so positive that only the songs on your reduced list are the ones that have any potential to be played. I certainly agree that they may be the most likely, but as has been pointed out by others, on other threads, did anyone expect to see Zoo Station again? Did anyone expect to see Gloria or An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart again? I doubt it. Yes, that was just for the first leg and nothing particularly new and exciting was introduced on the 2nd leg...Oh wait, there was Miss Sarajevo. :wink: Who ever would have predicted a song that had only been played twice before the tour to show up as a regular?!?! I'd say there's gotta be at least one surprise for the 3rd leg.

Clawgrabber said:

me personally, i think that LAST NIGHT ON EARTH would be the best choice as it would be a nice surprise and is a great rocker to get the fans up (even one time concertgoers know that song)

:drool: thats one of my dream songs for the third leg

the ocean AND
miss sarajevo AND
zoo station

are the big three, i think.

the ocean because it had been so long since being played. (this allows for songs like seconds or a celebration)

miss sarajevo because it had only been played (what was it, one time full band at a U2 show? maybe twice> i think it was once) a couple times, and almost a decade ago. (this allows for almost anything)

and zoo station because 1. it was only played on one tour 2. it was a trademark opener for the tour of the same name. (this allows for MOFO!!!)

yes, by definition, they can do anything, but there are certain dream songs that i think they will never play. unfortunately.

i guess no one can say for sure. I know i was blown away when they played The Ocean and Gloria and Zoo Station in seattle

and An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart in chicago

and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and The Electric Co in dublin.

as a point, lets all sit back and enjoy the fact the people are complaining about a "static setlist" that contains :drool: ELECTRIC CO., ZOO STATION, and MISS SARAJEVO

those are 3 songs i NEVER thought we would hear again.

I completely forgot about The Ocean. How could I, since I was a smidge bitter about it replacing ACD/ITH at my show in Boston!

I think Miss Sarajevo was played twice before. Once at some sort of Pavarotti and Friends type thing, and the other time (the only actual U2 show it was played at prior to the second leg) was PopMart Sarajevo.

I would LOVE to hear them bring back Seconds! How great would that be!? Even though they aren't going to shake it up dramatically from show to show, I think they'll still have a surprise or two in store for the 3rd leg. I just hope it's at one of the shows that I'm holding tix to.

Clawgrabber said:

so our realistic wishlist is boiled down to

stay
discotheque
staring at the sun
gone
please

Indeed. Stay and Staring at the sun IMO won't appear unless they get the acoustic set back.

Please and/or Gone are most likely IMO. Maybe Last night on earth and as big surprise Dirty day.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Let's Be Realistic

U2girl said:

Indeed. Stay and Staring at the sun IMO won't appear unless they get the acoustic set back.

Never been a big fan of the acoustic section, so I hope they dont.

I think Sats and Stay as full band, with electric guitar have the best chance actually.

Nisse said:
I think Sats and Stay as full band, with electric guitar have the best chance actually.

You've got to be kidding. They tried playing SATS electrically during the 1st half of Popmart, 1st leg, and everytime it was a crapfest slaughterhouse. Why do you think they ended up playing it accoustically?

Re: Re: Let's Be Realistic

U2girl said:

Please and/or Gone are most likely IMO. Maybe Last night on earth and as big surprise Dirty day.

Dirty day would be really cool. But I think that UTEOTW should be a regular appearence... it rocks! LNOE would be cool, I've been forgetting that one! much better than ABOY

Why bother playing something from POP if you're going to play SATS, the least interesting, least ambitious song on the album. Might as well just play another track off Rattle & Hum.

I think Last Night on Earth would be a great choice because it mutates into a pretty hard rocker live. Even people who don't recognize it from POP won't be bored.

Gone is always welcome as it's the one song besides Please on POP that most people agree is a U2 classic.

Any chance of them playing Miami in Miami? A think a snippet is a possibility.

lazarus said:
Any chance of them playing Miami in Miami? A think a snippet is a possibility.

Miami was snippeted in Miami on Elevation if I remember correctly, and as it was snippeted in Vancouver (!) this tour, you never know what might happen.

the only thing about last night on earth, i think, that prevents it from being played on this tour is the lyrical similarity to city of blinding lights...

LNOE:
The more you take the less you feel
The less you know the more you believe
The more you have the more it takes today

COBL
The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you grow
I knew much more then than I do now

also, off topic, if according to lnoe that the more you know the less you believe, and according to cobl the more you see the less you know, then by logic, the more you see the more you believe.

a bono syllogism

Clawgrabber said:
the only thing about last night on earth, i think, that prevents it from being played on this tour is the lyrical similarity to city of blinding lights...

LNOE:
The more you take the less you feel
The less you know the more you believe
The more you have the more it takes today

COBL
The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you grow
I knew much more then than I do now

also, off topic, if according to lnoe that the more you know the less you believe, and according to cobl the more you see the less you know, then by logic, the more you see the more you believe.

a bono syllogism

Haha, great post! :up: Had thought about this too. Would love to hear Bono's comment on this. :wink:

From Pop, I predict a full-band Please. I'll be surprised if they don't play it... Gone, Discotheque, Mofo, and Last Night on Earth have chances of showing up too. Probably Gone is the most likely after Please but Last Night on Earth and/or Mofo would be a nice surprise, and of course I love Discotheque but for some reason I think that's the least likely of the songs I listed to show up. Unless the band decides they need to nail full-band SATS I don't think it will show up at all since there's no acoustic set... I'd rather hear just about any other song from Pop anyway.

Although imagine if they brought back Do You Feel Loved and made it rock :drool: it would never happen. and i doubt we'll ever see Miami in full again, which is too bad because that song fuckin rocked live.

As for Zooropa...I'm thinking the return of full-band Stay and/or Dirty Day. I don't think we'll ever see Numb again, and let's face it, would you really want to? Great song but rather pointless live, and it wouldn't fit with this tour at all. There is a possibility of Lemon though...:drool: and Daddy's Gonna Pay opening the encore instead of Zoo Station would be cool though personally I prefer Zoo Station.

those predictions seem pretty good, even if at first glance they seem unrealistic.

please makes more sense during this tour than pride does anyway...

last night on earth seems to fit the overall rock vibe of the shows.

i think last night and until the end... would be very welcomed and realistic additions to the vertigo tour.

u2 has a lot of great ROCK songs, and now is as good a time as any to dust them off.

it is definitely time for some songs from POP to show up.

Clawgrabber said:
those predictions seem pretty good, even if at first glance they seem unrealistic.

please makes more sense during this tour than pride does anyway...

last night on earth seems to fit the overall rock vibe of the shows.

i think last night and until the end... would be very welcomed and realistic additions to the vertigo tour.

u2 has a lot of great ROCK songs, and now is as good a time as any to dust them off.

it is definitely time for some songs from POP to show up.

:yes: I agree completely!! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom