It only takes 3 new songs to transform a mediocre setlist into an amazing one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^
Thats the part that I didnt think worked either. Otherwise its a nice setlist. If Zoo is played it needs to open the encore.

How about going with the idea for that part of the setlist I had at the beginning of the tour. You alternate the POP encore and the Achtung encore.

One night its:
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways or UTEOTW or Even Better

next night its:
Mofo
Discotheque
Gone or Last Night On Earth

or even a variation on that they could do would be:

Mofo
Discotheque/Velvet Dress
LNOE

OR if they really got adventurous they could add the Zooropa encore to the rotation also:

Dirty Day
The First Time
The Wanderer

OR

The First Time
Daddys Gonna Pay (new version)
Stay

Last edited:
That's a fantastic set Chiz, but I'm with babyman on the ABOY - UTEOTW switch. And further more I'm with Bondex on the need for ZS to open the encore, with Disco hanging back til after The Fly. Other than that, fabulous selection of songs. I hope to get something similar in Aus when (not if anymore :D)they come. If I did I'd die more than a happy man.

Looks good Chip, a little Pop heavy though (not that I mind, but I doubt they would do 4 off that album and none off Leave Behind)... So let's see what it looks like if we put the best track off Leave Behind in there (I love how you got rid of Beautiful Day and Elevation by the way)...

1. Vertigo
2. ABOY
3. Electric Co.
4. Gloria//Out Of Control//I Will Follow
5. UTEOTW
6. LNOE
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes
9. Dirty Day
10. Love & Peace
11. Please
12. COBL
13. Crumbs//Gone
14. The First Time
15. Streets
16. Miss Sarajevo//Running To Stand Still

17. Zoo Station//Wild Horses
18. The Fly
19. Discotheque

20. OOTS
21. Walk On (full band)
22. Bad

The first 8 look good - 2 from '05 then, 2 from the early 80's, then 2 from the 90's, then back to 2 off Bomb...Sarajevo should be at the very least in rotation... With Bono nailing Luciano's verse it adds something very unique to the show and to this tour...Running is better in the main set...Crumbs could possibly be an encore, but OOTS leading off the final encore into Walk On I think would work well, and Bad is an excellent choice for closer unquestionably...

Looks good Chip, a little Pop heavy though (not that I mind, but I doubt they would do 4 off that album and none off Leave Behind)... So let's see what it looks like if we put the best track off Leave Behind in there (I love how you got rid of Beautiful Day and Elevation by the way)...

1. Vertigo
2. ABOY
3. Electric Co.
4. Gloria//Out Of Control//I Will Follow
5. UTEOTW
6. LNOE
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes
9. Dirty Day
10. Love & Peace
11. Please
12. COBL
13. Crumbs//Gone
14. The First Time
15. Streets
16. Miss Sarajevo//Running To Stand Still

17. Zoo Station//Wild Horses
18. The Fly
19. Discotheque

20. OOTS
21. Walk On (full band)
22. Bad

The first 8 look good - 2 from '05 then, 2 from the early 80's, then 2 from the 90's, then back to 2 off Bomb...Sarajevo should be at the very least in rotation... With Bono nailing Luciano's verse it adds something very unique to the show and to this tour...Running is better in the main set...Crumbs could possibly be an encore, but OOTS leading off the final encore into Walk On I think would work well, and Bad is an excellent choice for closer unquestionably...

I'd personally switch ABoY for Elevation

what kind of snippets would you use too?

I personally think they add to a song

I like the stories for boys snippet they used in Vertigo on the 1st leg...

the one tree hill snippet was beautiful, maybe at the end of running to close out the main set?

I'd add the following snippetwise:

1. Vertigo//Stories for Boys
4. Electric Co//The Cry//Bullet with Butterfly Wings//I Can See for Miles
5. Gloria//Van Morrison's 'Gloria'
8. Sometimes//One Step Closer
11. Please//North and South of the River
15. Streets//The Playboy Mansion

17. Discotheque//Relax//Life During Wartime

21. Running to Stand Still//If God Will Send His Angels
22. Bad//Sympathy for the Devil//Ruby Tuesday//Walk on the Wildside

Would add to the main set:
1. One Tree Hill (full band)

Encore:
Discotheque
Walk On (full band)

Lemon, you've added an entire new set... The Snippet Set haha...

They look great though, God Will Send His Angels - love that one...

the 3 added songs should be:

Ultraviolet
Dirty Day
Stay

Miss Sarajevo is definitely a MUST... it's such a special moment for the show..

Stay should replace The First Time.

A snippet of Heartland should be added... not sure to which song.

We all I think would faint, or possibly drop dead if, while attending a show, they came out of the wood work with Heartland...

This song goes beyond the realm of imagination, words I don't think can do it justice...

This was, in my mind, the pinnacle of their creativity...

Incidentally, was this song completed before the release of Joshua Tree? It really feels like it should be on that album...

Great setlist for sure, but let's be pragmatic. The band would never go for it. Remember they have a social agenda.
They start the show with 4 or 5 high energy songs, then have a cool off/personal section before the peace/anti war segment of the show which is why bullet has been in every show along with sbs prefaced by love and peace or else. Miss S. is their transition between this anti-war and human rights trio of pride/streets and one.
Now the songs 3,4 through 7 leave room to play as do the encores... as roughly half the tour is taken from post 40 music (the last two albumn's) What other band can speak of this. Incredible!!!
Even if the song puts you to sleep, certainly many people around you are wide awake. During such a song, focus on the crowd, not the bank. I still get something new from songs after 20 years. Bad, for instance, an instance classic at LiveAid and singlehandedly responsible for catapulting the band into superstardom, I didn't hear live from Joshua tree tour until the Elevation tour. Now on Vertigo, I've been fortuneate enough to hear it a number of times, always a if not the highlight of the show.

heartland is just too far off the radar. Its like acrobat - not sure how many people on here would like it if it was a regular for 10-15 yaers

Back
Top Bottom