Detroit Surprises!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwali

The Fly
Folks, As in the past, U2 pulled out some surprises in the setlist last night in Detroit. In a tribute to Roas Parks, the Detroit Civil Rights Pioneer who passed away yesterday, U2 played "Walk On". They also played "Original of the Species" according to U2tours.com. Can anyone at the show confirm this as it wasn't picked up in the setlist party? Look for them to repeat "Walk On" tonight and hopefully "Bad" and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses". The newspaper review is over at the concert review section. The intended setlist from U2.com is below the actual setlist. They always surprise in Detroit. Maybe they will order 10,000 pizzas again like they did in 1992!

U2 Rocks!

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, I Will Follow, The Electric Co., I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One

Encore(s): Walk On (acoustic), Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, With or Without You, All Because of You, Original of the Species, Yahweh, 40

U2.com intended setlist

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Electric Co.
The Ocean
Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you Can’t Make it On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

First Time
Stuck in a Moment
With or Without You

All Because of You
Yahweh

Last edited:
A post over on the setlist party confirms The Ocean after Electric Co. and that Humpty Dumpty was snippeted in Electric Co. No mention there of OOTS however.

humpty dumpty sat on a wall
humpty dumpty had a great fall
all the kings horses
and all the kids men
couldn't put humpty together again

its a nursery rhyme :)

Miricale_Drug said:
all the kings horses
and all the kids men

I think he was passing time while his microphone was malfunctioning.

Miricale_Drug said:
all the kings horses
and all the kids men

:hyper: I Soooo Have to hear that...even if it was just one line.....

Now all we need is the hookey pokey

Axver said:
A post over on the setlist party confirms The Ocean after Electric Co. and that Humpty Dumpty was snippeted in Electric Co. No mention there of OOTS however.

Yep, just talked to a friend, no "Original of the Species". Said it was a lively crowd and the Palace rocked bigtime.

I was at the concert last night and can confirm no OOTS. The lady tech was fixing Bono's mike and after that he sang Humpty Dumpty. The start on the show was rocking. The crowd was into every song my ears are still ringing. Bono said Wow a few times after we took over the singing during Elevation and ISHFWILF. I read in the other thread that the setlist was boring I have to disagree. The song may be song that have been played before but the energy and the flow of the setlist was great tonight. Walk on sounded great with the Edge doing part of the singing. Great Great Show. I have a copy of the intended set list not sure how to post it. I got it from a security guard. :bow: :bow:

so wait... you guys count humpty dumpty as a snippet on u2-vertigo-tour and not rock and roll ****** when bono sings like two verses of the song during vertigo?

StlElevation said:
so wait... you guys count humpty dumpty as a snippet on u2-vertigo-tour and not rock and roll ****** when bono sings like two verses of the song during vertigo?

It helps when I know of the snippet. When did the one you mention happen, last night? I'll add it straight away.

A friend states in her Live Journal that they played "Bad" last night, but I think she just doesn't know her U2 songs that well (damn youth of today -- what's their problem?). Surely she's wrong, right?

Folks - Any U2 fans looking for setlist variety and a great show should mark Detroit on their calendar next tour. It is always a great show at an awesome venue and U2 always has some surprises up their sleeve for the Motor City. It's come to be expected! Well done U2!

Bono was adlibbing like crazy....adding snippets of Marley....and even "rapping" at some points before the coexist speech.

"I feel it in my heart...!"

bigwali said:
Folks - Any U2 fans looking for setlist variety and a great show should mark Detroit on their calendar next tour. It is always a great show at an awesome venue and U2 always has some surprises up their sleeve for the Motor City. It's come to be expected! Well done U2!

:scratch: Really? What suprises have they had the last two tours prior to this in Detroit? Typically Detroit gets one show, which means a fairly standard setlist. The only different song on Elevation was really Discotheque, but it had been done quite a bit prior to Detroit on Elevation, it had just taken a couple of week vacation until then. Popmart was the standard third leg setlist in Detroit. The only different thing was Larry receiving his birthday cake. But that obviously had nothing to do with it being in Detroit.

I agree both Detroit shows were great this time. Typically, my experience in Detroit has been that the crowd is semi lame though. Wasnt the case this time, but I certainly dont think Monday and Tuesday were the "norm" there. You may be right, maybe its a new trend that will continue next tour. I hope so, but I certainly havent seen it there in the past. :shrug:

The best city in the midwest to see U2 in for variety and typically outstanding shows is Chicago, hands down.

Chuckver said:
I was at the concert last night and can confirm no OOTS. The lady tech was fixing Bono's mike and after that he sang Humpty Dumpty. The start on the show was rocking. The crowd was into every song my ears are still ringing. Bono said Wow a few times after we took over the singing during Elevation and ISHFWILF. I read in the other thread that the setlist was boring I have to disagree. The song may be song that have been played before but the energy and the flow of the setlist was great tonight. Walk on sounded great with the Edge doing part of the singing. Great Great Show. I have a copy of the intended set list not sure how to post it. I got it from a security guard. :bow: :bow:

Attachments

• palace.jpg
    palace.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 45
solacevip said:
Bono was adlibbing like crazy....adding snippets of Marley....and even "rapping" at some points before the coexist speech.

"I feel it in my heart...!"

Yeah, Was trying to figure what who he was emulating in his rapping. Thinking of Kid Rock or Eminem but had no idea. Anyone know?

Blue Room said:

:scratch: Really? What suprises have they had the last two tours prior to this in Detroit?

Well, you piqued my curiosity as to exactly what the surprises have been. So I recalled some and went to the archives for others (thanks Axver and his excellent history website). Some are truly surprises and others may be coincidental but the list is quite interesting. So here it is.

1981-04-18: Harpo's, Detroit, Michigan
  • ”I Fall Down” played for the 1st time ever.
1985-03-23: Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan
  • “Do They Know It’s Christmas” Snippet (only 5 times played ever)
  • “We Are The World “ Snippet (only 3 times played ever)
1992-03-27: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • Bono Orders 10,000 Pizzas from Speedy Pizzas, A hundred are delivered and some people eat them, others throw them as frisbees.
  • "Hello? Is this Speedy Pizza? I'd like to order 10,000 pizzas for Detroit.
    We're at the Palace. Do ya know the Palace? Yeah, I AM serious. I'm very serious.
    You can't make 10,000? Just make as many as you can. OK. What?
    My name is Bono." - Zoo TV tour, March 27 1992
1992-09-09: Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit, Michigan
  • Satellite Live Hook-Up to MTV awards with Dana Carvey on the drums while U2 plays “Even Better Than the Real Thing”.
  • So Cruel – (Only 4 times played ever).
1997-10-31: Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit, Michigan
  • Halloween Night & Larry’s Birthday – Smashmouth opens the set dressed in Halloween costumes.
  • Bono comes through the crowd like a prizefighter in a robe to start the concert.
  • Bono brings a dozen people dressed in costumes onstage during Mysterious Ways.
  • Happy Birthday is song twice for Larry’s 36 birthday. (Only 19 times played ever)
2001-05-30: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • ”In My Life” (Beatles Snippet) sung for the 1st time ever.
  • Van Morrison’s “Gloria” snippet sung for the 1st time in the 2001 tour.
2005-10-24: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • Bono has problems with is microphone and sings "Humpty Dumpty“ snippet.
  • "Walk On' played for the 10th time this tour.
2005-10-25: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • Dedication of “One” to Rosa Parks (Detroit Civil Rights Pioneer).
  • “MLK” & “People Have the Power” snippets.
  • Standard setlist changed to include “Gloria”, “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses”, “Crumbs from your Table” and “Bad”.

Last edited:
bigwali said:

Well, you piqued my curiosity as to exactly what the surprises have been. So I recalled some and went to the archives for others (thanks Axver and his excellent history website). Some are truly surprises and others may be coincidental but the list is quite interesting. So here it is.

1981-04-18: Harpo's, Detroit, Michigan
  • ”I Fall Down” played for the 1st time ever.
1985-03-23: Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan
  • “Do They Know It’s Christmas” Snippet (only 5 times played ever)
  • “We Are The World “ Snippet (only 3 times played ever)
1992-03-27: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • Bono Orders 10,000 Pizzas from Speedy Pizzas, A hundred are delivered and some people eat them, others throw them as frisbees.
  • "Hello? Is this Speedy Pizza? I'd like to order 10,000 pizzas for Detroit.
    We're at the Palace. Do ya know the Palace? Yeah, I AM serious. I'm very serious.
    You can't make 10,000? Just make as many as you can. OK. What?
    My name is Bono." - Zoo TV tour, March 27 1992
1992-09-09: Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit, Michigan
  • Satellite Live Hook-Up to MTV awards with Dana Carvey on the drums while U2 plays “Even Better Than the Real Thing”.
  • So Cruel – (Only 4 times played ever).
  • Halloween Night & Larry’s Birthday – Smashmouth opens the set dressed in Halloween costumes.
  • Bono comes through the crowd like a prizefighter in a robe to start the concert.
  • Bono brings a dozen people dressed in costumes onstage during Mysterious Ways.
  • Happy Birthday is song twice for Larry’s 36 birthday. (Only 19 times played ever)
2001-05-30: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • ”In My Life” (Beatles Snippet) sung for the 1st time ever.
  • Van Morrison’s “Gloria” snippet sung for the 1st time in the 2001 tour.
2005-10-24: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • Bono has problems with is microphone and sings "Humpty Dumpty“ snippet.
  • "Walk On' played for the 10th time this tour.
2005-10-25: Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, Michigan
  • Dedication of “One” to Rosa Parks (Detroit Civil Rights Pioneer).
  • “MLK” & “People Have the Power” snippets.
  • Standard setlist changed to include “Gloria”, “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses”, “Crumbs from your Table” and “Bad”.

OK, first off, I dont count snippets as drastic setlist changes because they are not. Bono has done tons of snippets throughout the Vertigo tour and other tours. ALOT of markets can claim premieres and/or the only performances of little snippets.

1. Unf. Fire, Do they Know Its Christmas and We Are the World was snippeted several times during 40 throughout the tour. It wasnt unique to Detroit.

2. 1981 Harpos was not the first performance of I Fall Down. It premiered the prior show in Cincinnati

3. 1992 The Palace, the pizza thing was unique. But had nothing to do with songs or a setlist. The setlist was the standard for the first leg.

4. 1992 Silverdome. Satellite hook up from Detroit as only done because it happened to fall on the same day as the MTV Music Awards. It wasnt like they picked Detroit to do that specifically. Just fell into the schedule. So Cruel was unique, but it was also done in Boston and Chicago and premiered in Boston (Foxboro). Also, the entire Silverdome upper deck was empty. Not exactly U2 mania in Detroit.

5. 1997 Silverdome (as I indicated before) fell on Larry's birthday. It had nothing to do with it being Detroit. Its not like the band said, we have to play Detroit on Larry's birthday. It just worked out that way in the schedule. Happy Birthday?? I wouldnt even count that as a song being played. Bono sang a few line acapella. The actual setlist was standard for the third leg. Costumes on stage was because it was Halloween. Not because it was Detroit.

If you read my post, I said the Vertigo shows were great. But I dont think the snippets you listed make Detroit the U2 hot spot at all. I was at all the shows in Detroit from 1992 on, and they were all good. But most were standard shows. Just compare the minor things you pointed out to some of the major setlist shake ups and full song premieres that have occurred in markets like Boston, Chicago and New York. Its not even close.

Maybe Detroit will start to develop a reputation like the other markets I listed specifically already have. I dont think its there because they played 2 great shows there on the current tour. They played 4 or 5 GREAT shows in Chicago on this tour alone.

Last edited:
bigwali said:

[*]Bono comes through the crowd like a prizefighter in a robe to start the concert.

I don't think I'd count this as particularly unique to Detroit.:wink:

Blue Room said:

OK, first off, I dont count snippets as drastic setlist changes because they are not. Bono has done tons of snippets throughout the Vertigo tour and other tours. ALOT of markets can claim premieres and/or the only performances of little snippets.

1. Unf. Fire, Do they Know Its Christmas and We Are the World was snippeted several times during 40 throughout the tour. It wasnt unique to Detroit.

2. 1981 Harpos was not the first performance of I Fall Down. It premiered the prior show in Cincinnati

Yeah, I agree Boston & Chicago are top markets for U2 obviously, that is why they did the DVD shoots there but Detroit has had some surprises is all I'm saying and some were coincidental and some were minor like snippets. What I may see as surprises, others do not but that is OK. Just putting this out there for a historical perspective. Take 1 & 2 up with Axver because that is what he has listed on his website. I wasn't at the shows so I can't verify it.

Last edited:
bigwali said:

Yeah, I agree Boston & Chicago are top markets for U2 obviously, that is why they did the DVD shoots there but Detroit has had some surprises is all I'm saying and some were coincidental and some were minor like snippets. What I may see as surprises, others do not but that is OK. Just putting this out there for a historical perspective. Take 1 & 2 up with Axver because that is what he has listed on his website. I wasn't at the shows so I can't verify it.

Hey, I agree they play good shows in Detroit. I dont want it to look like I'm saying they dont. Detroit is a decent market for them. They would not have done 2 shows this time if it wasnt. The Vertigo shows were great. I just sort of disagreed that Detroit was the hot spot for seeing U2, thats all.

Axver's site is wrong on I Fall Down. I will double check the Feed The World and We Are The World snippets. I believe they did those at both Chicago shows on the Unf. Fire tour also. It may not have been as prevelant as I thought though. But Detroit was not the only place it was done.

Back
Top Bottom