An "Original" solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

broken toy

The Fly
Two possibilities on how the band could do justice to "Original of the Species," which at this point is just a novelty throw-away in its piano-and-vocal treatment:

1. Bring up Dallas and (who's the keyboard tech?) to play acoustic guitar and piano to flesh out the sound, and let Edge play electric lead. The song on album is very layered, and while I don't think you'd need to add strings, having piano, acoustic guitar and electric guitar are pretty key to getting the full sound. It could be something of a tribute to the road crew, most of whom have been with U2 since the Treaty of Versailles.

2. Have peeps from the crowd come up to do those parts. In Elevation, we saw just how good some of those players can be... and in the modern age, it could be a bit pre-arranged, not like the painful days of the UF and JT tours getting hacks up there to tunelessly ruin "Knockin' On Heaven's Door." It would be possible to find competent fans who could do the piano and acoustic guitar parts, adding that unique U2/"You, Too" element back into the show.

Bottom line is that they should take steps to fill out the sound, and if Bono can't pull one of those and sing, they should get creative in finding ways to get those instruments in there.

Last edited:
not a good idea, the four of them should play it the way they can

An unplugged style could be great, Bono on piano and vocals, leave Edge the acoustic guitar, and add some loops on strings, to have some of the albums feel
Thats it

No, there is no need to blow it up. The lyrics of this song work better when it is played all stripped down like it has been, anyway. I don't want to be rocking out to Original. I want to be holding a lighter(or cell phone) out.

If it's so much better stripped down, why did they record it the way they did, rather than like "One Step Closer?"

My point is that they seem to be doing it the way they are now not because they think the song plays better that way, but because they haven't figured out how to present it otherwise.

I'm not even *that* nuts about Original, but one of the emotional high points of the album is when the music swells behind the "do-do-do, sugar come on" lyrics that lead into the chorus. You're just not going to get that same wave of energy from the "unplugged" approach... but to each his or her own.

I think OOTS is about the only song from HTDAAB that sounds "flat" live. I don't like what they're doing.

Either:

1) Strip it down completely to Bono and Edge with harmonized vocals and piano only, OR

2) Bring all the backing tracks (strings, synthesizers, etc.) and make the song sound like the album version.

Just my thoughts...

Electric guitar makes more sense than acoustic guitar. I don't know if you need that many synths to fill out the sound. I think if Edge played electric guitar for the chorus, and piano for the verses, it would work. I don't know if they need acoustic AND electric guitar, but I don't think piano and acoustic guitar would be enough.

Zoocoustic said:
I think OOTS is about the only song from HTDAAB that sounds "flat" live. I don't like what they're doing.

Either:

1) Strip it down completely to Bono and Edge with harmonized vocals and piano only, OR

2) Bring all the backing tracks (strings, synthesizers, etc.) and make the song sound like the album version.

Just my thoughts...

Couldn't have said it better myself...The version they are playin now is an in between version which IMHO absolutely sucks. great track on the album and they turn it in something mediocre.While the other songs of HTDAAB are great tracks live one of the best tracks of the record is a so so livetrack...I would love to hear it in full...sequencers, backingtracks, bono on piano and edge with 32831292317 effects over his guitar...:wink:

drt4 said:
Electric guitar makes more sense than acoustic guitar. I don't know if you need that many synths to fill out the sound. I think if Edge played electric guitar for the chorus, and piano for the verses, it would work. I don't know if they need acoustic AND electric guitar, but I don't think piano and acoustic guitar would be enough.

Agreed. I don't understand why Edge can't just pull a NYD...the electric guitar is one of my favourite parts of the song. However, imo it sounds GREAT as it is. I certainly don't think it needs all the strings and such. Just flush it out with some electric guitar and it will be perfect.

Agreed. I don't understand why Edge can't just pull a NYD...the electric guitar is one of my favourite parts of the song. However, imo it sounds GREAT as it is. I certainly don't think it needs all the strings and such. Just flush it out with some electric guitar and it will be perfect. [/B][/QUOTE]

i also agree...
i think edge could play piano for the quiet intro, then drop it and switch to guitar for the balance of the song. he plays some cool shit during the chorus, and i'd love to hear those guitar notes echoing all around an arena...:yes:

<<pull and NYD>>

Interestingly, Edge did this for the guitar/piano on Mysterious Ways in early 1992 shows. The piano has been dubbed ever since, inluding this tour.

u2fp

All they need to do is do it like they did at the IPod ceremony. That was really, really gorgeous. Totally stripped down, just Edge on piano and Bono on vocals. Perhaps Edge could do the NYD thing and play some guitar at some points, but that's it.

OOTS is a nice album track that does'nt seem to translate too well live. I heard it played 04/21 in Denver and the piano was way too loud but maybe maybe it just seemed that way because the audience was so quiet. I think the best way to pull it off live is to have Edge on piano with Bono's vocals and an acoustic guitar backup. Larry and Adam can take a break during the song.

Back
Top Bottom