Is This Really U2's First Record?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/httadbcover-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Greg Soria

"This is actually our first album," Bono pronounced on the DVD that accompanies "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." "It's taken us 20 years, or whatever it is, but this is our first album and 'Vertigo' is the first single from our first album."

What does he mean by this and how can he make such claims? Are we, as fans, supposed to believe that U2's previous albums were nothing more than sets of demos? Or is Bono saying that U2 has finally figured out the whole album recording process and at last put together a group of songs that fit cohesively as an album, and yet can stand on their own? Does the band feel that this is the album that best represents itself past, present and even future?

Let's look closer at Bono's claim that this is U2's "first" album. Making sense of this sort of proclamation is completely subjective but, for argument's sake, let's give it a shot. What Bono seems to be talking about is the sum of all the parts of U2's brilliant career, how every step it's taken, every song written was a journey to "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

"Vertigo," the bombastic and rocking Grammy-winning hit single and album opener clearly recalls the days of "Boy," with hints of "October" and "War." It's a much more raw and organic rock song than U2 have had in years. The influence of "I Will Follow" can be recognized in the prominent guitar riff and the aggressive drum pattern. It's as if producer Steve Lillywhite transported the band back to 1980, turned and twisted some knobs, told some jokes to lighten up the atmosphere and let the band rip through the song. The influence of "Boy" is heard in the "Hello, hello" line that Bono originally sang on "Stories for Boys." Bono says on the bonus DVD with the album, "Oddly enough, there's a quote from our very first single. In 'Stories for Boys,' there's this 'Vertigo'-like line." On stage, the band has even taken to playing a few lines from "Stories for Boys" during "Vertigo."

The next step back in time is heard on the heart-wrenching ballad "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own." The song's genesis is in the same vein of such classics as "One," "With or Without You" and "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of." Each of these songs was written with a particular subject in mind, however each song has come to represent different meanings to each listener. "Sometimes" was written for Bono's late father, Bob Hewson, yet the meaning of this song can touch nerves in different ways, it could be about leaving your family for the first time, or ending a relationship, or just needing to be there for someone else. The song begins softly, like "One" or "With or Without You" and climaxes into an operatic frenzy of raw emotional outpouring. It is a tried and true U2 formula; but is a sound that never seems tired or worn out.

httadbcover.jpg

There is a distinct "Unforgettable Fire" atmosphere to "City of Blinding Lights." The "Edge Orchestra" makes the guitars jingle and clang to start and then throws in some keyboards to help drive the song. The pace and power of this song is akin to a joyful rendition of "Bad." Bono's lyric is more picture painting than storytelling, reminiscent of his lyrics on 1984's "The Unforgettable Fire." Unlike some songs on "The Unforgettable Fire," there is cohesiveness in "City of Blinding Lights" that ties the lyrics and music together The song talks about U2's return to New York City after September 11th. "The chorus is set in one of the greatest moments for me ever on the stage when we were the first band to play New York City, after 9/11 and we turned on the lights, during one song and I just saw twenty thousand people, just their eyes wide open, and tears just rolling down their faces and it was an amazing moment for me, musically, and I just shouted out 'Oh you just look so beautiful tonight,'" Bono told U2.com

"Crumbs From Your Table" is an all-out return to the ringing guitar sound of "The Joshua Tree." This song is mixed with sound of 1987 and the songwriting craft of 2004 U2. The band sounds much like they did during "The Joshua Tree" era and it's interesting to note that U2 mentioned in Blender that this is the only song they have ever written while drinking. On the album DVD, Larry explained, "I have absolutely no memory of 'Crumbs From Your Table, I can't remember a damn thing about it."

The impression this song leaves with the listeners is one of a band writing and performing a song without the worry of sounding too "this or that." In the early days, the band would find a sound and work around it until it had a song. "Crumbs From Your Table" sounds like this kind of song, like "Gloria" or "Two Hearts Beat As One," from "War." These are songs that U2 developed and created in the studio, which "Crumbs" sounds like it may have been too. Even though the subject matter in the song is "heavy" the music is loose and relaxed. Maybe a drink, or three, before each song is in order.

"Original of the Species" is a Beatles-influenced pop song that again incorporates the ringing Edge guitar sound of the '80s. Again, this song of youth and innocence is tied together by the strong songwriting and a unique, "Abbey Road"-era Beatles' melody, which holds the song together and bring it to an end with Edge playing a similar chord structure as "Where the Streets Have no Name."

This song may well represent the musical road that U2 have traveled from "Boy" to "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The song has been around since the "All That You Can't Leave Behind" sessions, and in a Q article, Edge states that the song was "started on the last record about my daughter." In the end the Edge feels that "it has connotations for Bono, looking back to when he was 20." Could it be that Bono is looking back at the band's own innocence during the "Boy" era? Listen to the lyrics "Baby slow down, the end is not a fun as the start. Please stay a child in your heart." They sound autobiographical the more you hear them, kind of like the story of growing from a "Boy" to a man.

The second North American single, "All Because of You," is U2's most straightforward rock n' roll riff since 1989's "Desire," another song, as Adam Clayton told Blender, that "could be about God, it could be about your father, or the audience." It doesn't appear that U2 have stepped back into its own catalog on this song, as much as the guitar, power-rock of The Who has influenced them. During the recording of "Boy," copping the style of another band was not something U2 was seasoned enough to pull off. The band regularly admitted in early interviews that it had trouble just playing other bands' songs. "All Because of You" swaggers and stumbles, like a song by a younger U2 might have, but it finds a way to "rattle and hum" its way into your brain.

A hidden gem on "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is "One Step Closer," a throwback to classic U2 songs such as "Running to Stand Still," "MLK," "Drowning Man," "October," and "The Ocean." This song was written based on a statement that was made to Bono by Noel Gallagher of Oasis, regarding the impending death of Bono's father. The song gently finds its way into the deep recesses of your subconscious and plants itself there, where one day you wake up and suddenly understand its meaning and appreciate it subtle beauty. This song is so slow and soft, yet incredibly powerful when you realize it is about finding your way towards the end of your life. Like "The Ocean" there is an air of uncertainty involved, whereas the author knows there's an answer to his question, but he's struggling to find it, but where "The Ocean" leaves the listener wondering what would happen if "someone would listen," "One Step Closer" allows the listener to believe the answer is just around the corner.

Depending on what version you have, the album closes with either "Yahweh" or "Fast Cars." Both songs buck the trend of U2 closing their albums with a slower, softer song. "Yahweh" can be compared to another song on "Boy" called "Another Time, Another Place" mainly the mood and tempo of the song. However, while "Yahweh" wears its heart on its sleeve, "Another Time" is slightly ambiguous but it could also be interpreted as a call to God. The verse "I'll be with you now, we lie on a cloud" conjures up myriad spiritual images, which leave a listener wondering who the song is talking to. The U2 of today created a song less ambiguous, yet it still retains an air of mystery.

"Fast Cars," on the other hand, seems to fit best on "Zooropa." It's quirky Middle-Eastern melody, and rapid-fire vocal cadence propels the song back to the mid-90s reminding U2 fans that the band is always seeking new sounds and new adventures.

Keeping all this in mind, the music and the opinions of the band members themselves, can we really says this is U2's first album? No. U2 has made fantastic music for over 25 years now, and continues to be relevant and pioneering even past most bands' career peaks. What "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is both a culmination of the band's past work and a step toward U2's future. Like a Master's thesis, the band has used this album to show us everything it's learned during the last 25 years and given us a sample of what it's capable of over the next 25.

As Bono said at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in March, "It's an amazing place to be inducted in the Rock and Hall of Fame feeling like this--feeling like you've just made your first album," he said. "It's a great feeling, a very special feeling." Twenty-five years on, that's a great feeling for fans to have as well.

Last edited:
The moment I heard Vertigo I thought 'Wow, Bono sounds so young!'. The Unforgettable Fire used to be my favourite album coz it's the only one where I like all the songs. Where as the others contain at least 2 songs that I usually skip over! And up until the release of HTDAAB, the most cohessive album. But now I find that all songs HTDAAB are great and some better than TUF. And I totally agree with the author about the power of One step Closer. HTDAAB is rapidly becoming my favourite U2 of all time!:hyper:

Bono ,you are a fool.
U2's first album ??
What have you been sniffing.
Its not even in the top 5 U2 albums.

Back
Top Bottom