New Forum is Up! Still tweaking things though...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the problem?

We are still not exactly sure. He gave me a link to go through and when I did it said my IP address had been banned. :sad: So I assume he then corrected that, and I'm now able to sign on but my use is pretty limited. Alot of features don't work, and every time I make a post I have to go through a long process of being directed back to the page cannot be displayed message, refreshing ..etc... takes a few minutes to get it to display. I still cannot find Interference at all by typing it into the address bar or with links. Monday I'll get a new or repaired modem and hopefully that will fix things... until then even Andy doesn't know what's goin on!

I'd just like to say that, I don't know WHAT you guys did, but since a few days my smiley problem with PMs is completely FIXED! :applaud:

Has the forum been running slow, or is it just maybe my computers? I haven't been on much this last week, but each page takes forever to load. I may even go all out and reboot later today :shocked:

Sounds like you may have other issues. No one else has reported this problem.

I would clear your cache/cookies, and run an anti spyware program like ad aware or spy bot.

I posted this question in another thread. Maybe it's better asked here:

Just thought I'd ask this here...

Is there a way to edit comments when posting a message to someone's profile? I don't see that there is now, but maybe there will be in the future?

No you cant. Maybe in the future but this opens up the possibility of abuse. i.e. a member could leave a nasty message and then change it after is had been read. If someone really needs to edit something I could do it for them.

Ok I spoke with Andy and members can now edit their visitor messages. This should only be used for typos, etc.

For people just lurking, it appears that there are now "roll over" ads sprinkled all over the site. For example, in Lila's post above #887,
it appears like this to a lurker:

============================================================
887rolloverad.jpg

============================================================

If I log in, the ads go away. This is annoying. Is this a new "feature"?

Andy is working on ads on the site for 'guests' only.
Yes you would need to be logged in to make them go away.

is the site suddenly changed?
the advert banner moved a little down on the page for me, below the whole
U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
New Forum is Up! Still tweaking things though...

stuff....

More ads? :|

Exploiting the content of user posts to display roll-over ads to guests? :|

No, these are not good ideas.

Here is a recap of what has changed.

- The ad from there very top was moved down to below the Navbar. A table was added below the Ad that has what us known as a Link Block in it. Those are just links that change depending on the topic of the page. I also added an ad in the footer. This is how the member ads are going to stay from now on.

- Guests (not logged in) will see more ads then members. Guests will see a big "road block" ad that also has a link to register and tells them that ad will be removed. Guest will also see the contextual ads that Bayou pointed out a few posts above. These are ONLY shown to guests, members don't see them.

I know that no one loves the ads but they are a necessary component to keeping the site running. Thanks for understanding and don't forget to support the advertisers by visiting their site if you see something of interest!

Attachments

• IF changes.jpg
    IF changes.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 28
Is the point of the move something by the advertisers to make it more likely that we will accidentally click on the ad? I mean, really, all it does is get in the way being between two relevant portions of the site as opposed to just being on top, so I'm guessing that's just something stipulated by Google Ads.

Ridiculous :|

Is this also the case for "Premium" members?

Yes, which is really bothering me. What am I paying you guys for anymore? Yeah I get "extras" but I lost my ability to have Last.Fm in my sig, anyone can PM now, I get to play arcade games? Now there are MORE ads? I just don't see what the point of a Premium membership is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom