Guitar Girls thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:wave: :wave:

hi gals................:hug:

I gotta question....but you hafta promise you're NOT going to laught TOO much when you hear what it is......

I might have some unexpected extra $ my way. :yippie: :yippie:
while I AM going to use some of it to pay whom I owe.the rest is for play!

IS there a farliy deccent electric guitar for around 125$ US dollars?
I just found this out- so it's a totally new thot of possibility vs just day dreamings.

*runs away so as not to hear the laughter*

yes ofcourse there is... you could get a guitar for even cheaper, but dofn't try those, they're usually crap quality..

the most basic guitar you could cheaply get is either a Squier Strat or an Ibanez
you can get them for about 100 euros(squier bullet strat) here, which would be 157 dollar, with the bad dollar course atm..
they play pretty decently(have them at my old school where I get my basslessons, so I sometimes play them when I wait for my teacher)
oh here I found a squier for 100 dollar :)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...ric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc
These types of ibanez are usually for beginners :) I see them a lot
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRGM21-Mikro-Electric-Guitar-518875-i1167501.gc

I didn't start out with a cheap guitar so I can't really help you more than this, but if you consider guitar playing as something you'll want to do for years and perhaps even play in a band, you could start with one of these and then later get a better more pricier guitar or, you could decide to get one right away..

Just go to a music store and talk to the guitar guy there :) they should know their things, and always ask for your budget so they can find you the guitar you want!

:wink: as for me, I take my own guitar geek with me... so yea, it helps to know a few guitarists!

:hug: thanks gg2!

I checked the link out for the Squire, and it got mostly solid reviews!

MUST NOT get TOO :hyper: *breath*

:giggle:

since it's still a only possibilty, but for the first time in a vvveeerryyy long time ( like....YEARS) a real one! :D

oh yeah, and GC is having a BIG sale, too, till the end of March.

I have a Bassist friend. :D But he might be too snobby to ask- NOT snobby to me, but snobby about the guitar.
Ha, maybe he'll surprise me. :lol:

Last edited:
:shifty:

I'm STILL thinking about it.,................ and strongly leaning to buying it........The Squirer Fender! :hyper: :drool:

I really DO have to make up my mind because the sale ends by march 31st!!! before :giggle: I chicken out!
I could always sell it for some money anyway....IF i needed money in the future.

STAY tune till next week! :hyper: :D

yup yup id go with the squirer if youre looking for a cheap decent guitar.
or you could save your money and then get a better one :hyper:

:wink: i'm biased... since I got a fender myself, but squiers are actually very decent guitars.. unless you have them at a highschool where in the last few years random idiots who couldn't play a note were allowed to touch them... they didn't live long.. :wink: and now people aren't allowed to touch them guitars unless they know how to handle them..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:lol: :lol: gg2!
Since some of my favrite guitarists use fenders....that's a good enough reason.

EITS.........with the way the economy is going & Im'm on the poor side already....this is combination of Xmas, B-Day gifts monies, finding almost a whole week's of $ I misplaced back in Aug '07 :)ohmy:) trying find it ever since- finding JUST YESTERDAY, the Economic Stimulus payment ,and that gg2 so graciously alerted me to the fact that the Squire was on sale for 100$ at GC now >>>>>it's most likely NOW or not for a long time for me.

The reviews on it were good enought for me.
The 2 drawbacks were the strings are painful to usefor some folks, and some folks said it went out of tune rather fast. But one person said their's stayed in tune for quite a while.
:hmm: :nerd: It'd be interseting to know whether humidity, or excessive dryness MIGHT effect that, and where the reviewers live, and what their houses/ apts are like in those regards. :nerd: Macro /or micro climates!:D

If I have to replace the strings I will, and at least get a tuning "harmonica"..... whatever it's really called.

I'm going over there this evening to look, about 65% of the money in hand and see how I cay pay off the last third in the next 2-3 months. Right now they have a no money down/ no interest payments fro12 months ....hopefully..........I can work something b/c I CAN'T :( put in on my credit card.

:hmm: Actually I might bring this other money with me, use some of that IF I have to-- IF they won't give me a payment option because of the credit card balance [not enough to cover the cost] problem. Pay the full price, and just repay the money back into the other money in May when I get the SP back.

Keep yer :fingerscrossed: for me. :D

Last edited:
The people whining about strings that hurt are obviously beginners... OFCOURSE the strings of a brand new guitar hurt you when you don't have any thick skin on your fingertips! you just gotta get used to that and it will go away..

as far as the tuning, that's the same with any new guitar too.. when the strings are new they're not very flexible yet so they're out of key fast, you just learn to tune that way... I've had my guitar for 3/4th year now and I got it brand new, they got it out of the box that same morning.. it hurt my fingers in the beginning and I had to tune every time I played.. but that's the same with ANY guitar, mine is a REAL fender, so it's not just typical for squiers!

just get a tuning device or learn to tune by ear... :lol: I learned to tune my bass with a drumkit, but I don't think the neighbours would like it if I bought a drumkit too...

yeah it can def. depend on the climate as well. i get fret buzz during the winter.
electric tuner!

if you play everyday youll develop calluses (sp??) then it wont hurt :)

def. understood with the economy now. i went through two crap guitars until i actually got a decent one

Galeongirl said:
The people whining about strings that hurt are obviously beginners... OFCOURSE the strings of a brand new guitar hurt you when you don't have any thick skin on your fingertips! you just gotta get used to that and it will go away..

as far as the tuning, that's the same with any new guitar too.. when the strings are new they're not very flexible yet so they're out of key fast, you just learn to tune that way... I've had my guitar for 3/4th year now and I got it brand new, they got it out of the box that same morning.. it hurt my fingers in the beginning and I had to tune every time I played.. but that's the same with ANY guitar, mine is a REAL fender, so it's not just typical for squiers!

ah..............information I didn't know! *thanks* gg2 :hug:

I'll keep that all in mind!
I DO have a MODEST Yamaha Keyboard.....at least I could tune it close with that.
I've varied the pitch control some b/c on rare ocassions I plink along with CD's.:D
SO it could be in 441-442 for the "A" key, for all I know till I actually get a tuner!

Last edited:
Originally posted by EdgeIsTooSexy
yeah it can def. depend on the climate as well. i get fret buzz during the winter.
electric tuner!

AH...good. I got something right!

if you play everyday youll develop calluses (sp??) then it wont hurt :)

I think I recall getting a bit of calluses when I had the acoustic, like 38 years ago {when I first got it}

def. understood with the economy now. i went through two crap guitars until i actually got a decent one

some people thought the Squirer Affinity was pretty good guitar, considering.

I'd have to be making ALOT of EXTRA$$, and spent enough time with what I'm getting to even think about an upgrade.

I AM thinking I DO have a MOTIVATION TO relearn how to read music.

I could read uncomplicted music sheets when I had band when I was 10-12 in school. First year- viola, second year- clarinet!

That's even LONGER ago that the acoustic guitar I had at 15! :lol:

well.......I DON'T have that kind of money.
A lot of my modest extra money goes to my art {illustration & fine art <2D> & sculpture} , film & digital photgraphy & artisan jewelry, and easier jewelry ( AND all the other <besides supplies> refrence materials/instructions etc that all these long time pursuits entail) plus modest diining out w friends & sis.

I'm sacraficing a bunch of extra semi-precious stones & sterling silver wire to push for this Affinity instead of the Bullet Squire even.

When I win a big lottery then I can think about such nice guitar as an American made guitar Fender or SG:yes:

Last edited:
well just think of it this way, years down the road once you get good and youre really into it you can always get a better one

remember gg2-
not everyone on here has/had the same life experinces, opportunities, careers, or being knocked off track by serious unforseen circumstaneces etc..... often depending at least somewhat on your growing-up location, class, schooling, type of family care, chosen or stuck in kess wanted career for x amount of time etc).

SO intelectually & craft-wise you ARE right.
It'd be great to have/ orsave up for a GOOD guitar.

I'm not willing to give up the modest enjoyments I DO have that often enough I even can't do whenever I want to- becuase of the money issue. I have to wait days, usally more like weeks & months for certain of these things even CD/DVD a in-thearter movie etc. And certainly NOT the art/craft supplies/ etc which besides personal fufillment may someday hopefully with in a year or so) start bringing me some extra $.

BUT emotionally when I read your comment- I felt like you were bellitling my choice. Almost laughing at the 'ptiful' guitar I am geting-how stupid I am instead of saving up fior a much better one.

I'm pretty darn sure you didn't meant it that way.

I have no intention of being in a band.
It would be a strange, and wonderous thing, totALLY unforseen set of circumstances for me to end up in a band- where I'd probably need a beter guitar.

SO until the BIG lottery win I'm going to cherish, enjoy and learn what I can from this opened-up opportunity to acctaully have a electric guitar -- CERTAINLY beter :lol: than that kind of beat up, really cheap ole EG my dad sweetly :heart: brought home for me when he found it- around 35 years ago -- and play along with my CDs/DVD/ radio or just by myself. woooot! :lock:

Last edited:
Went to NYC, bought a guitar. What more can I say? :D

Photo.jpg

:drool:

Now I need an amp...

:drool: Nice SG there!

:hmm: what is the extra thing between the humbucker element and the tail? is it another type of element? I don't think I've seen that before! doesn't look much like a single coil one..

I'm not so sure I understand what you're asking. Are you asking about the white humbucker or the crome thing right under it?

:bump:

I got new strings put on my bass today! ... first time since I bought it six years ago :reject:

Apparently the old ones are still in pretty good nick (I finally noticed they were getting a bit worn), so I've still got those as spares.
I had no idea what sort of strings were on the bass when I bought it, and the guy in the shop sold me a set that he said were about the same, which are apparently "regular light" gauge. :shrug:

Anyway, they don't sound very different, but I think it sounds/feels a bit better. :D

(Yes, hardly earth-shattering news... I did spend a while dribbling over all the other basses in the shop, but I'm not ready for an upgrade yet! They had Fender Jazz basses... $1700AUD... *cough* And they don't even have 24 frets... :tsk: )

Back
Top Bottom