(10-06-2006) With or Without You? -- Pipex.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
With or Without You?

U2 announced earlier this week that they are to release a new greatest hits album in the run-up to Christmas.

The band confirmed the collection will feature 'The Saints Are Coming' - their collaboration with Green Day - and one brand new song - but the remaining tracks have not been revealed.

The band have had more than 30 hits since they first broke into the UK charts with 'Fire' in 1981 and debate is raging about which tracks should be included on the forthcoming compilation.

With so many songs to choose from, narrowing it down to one album is going to be a very difficult task with many favourites likely to be missed out.

Will the band pay homage to their early days or focus on the stadium rock anthems of recent years?

Will they choose the songs that performed best in the charts or will they opt for live favourites and songs that their hardcore fans like best?

Devlin Smith, who helps to run the leading U2 fansite Interference, reckons the compilation will mainly focus on songs from 'Joshua Tree', 'Achtung Baby', 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and 'How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' with a sprinkling of tracks from 'Boy', 'War,' 'Unforgettable Fire' and 'Rattle And Hum'.

She reckons three of his favourite albums - 'October', 'Zooropa' and 'Pop' will be ignored as the band focus on their "best-known" songs.

Here are the U2 tracks that Devlin reckons will make the final cut:

I Will Follow
"Even though this wasn't a big single, this was the song that got U2 its first broad following and is familiar to all ranges of fans. The band needs to represent its early days on any collection and I think this is the safest bet."

Sunday Bloody Sunday
"One of U2's greatest anthems, I can't imagine this not making it onto the collection."

New Year's Day
"Same as 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', it's so classically U2 that I think it has to be included."

Pride (In the Name Of Love)
"Another classic U2 anthem. Also, 'Unforgettable Fire' was one of U2's big moments, the band getting pushed into the mainstream, so it has to be represented by something but I don't think the general public is familiar enough with 'Bad' or the album's title track for either of those to make it. 'Pride' has to be the one to represent 'Unforgettable Fire'."

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
"'Joshua Tree' will probably get the most tracks because it's, arguably, the best-known and best-loved U2 album. 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' is a true classic for the band and seems an easy bet for inclusion."

Where the Streets Have No Name
"Pretty much the same argument for this song as for 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For', though this song may have a slight edge since it was performed during the Vertigo Tour."

With or Without You
"Another U2 classic that I can't see the band skipping over for this collection."

Desire
"A crowd favorite and a great song in general, plus it seems good for the band to represent 'Rattle And Hum.'"

Even Better Than The Real Thing
"'Achtung Baby' is held nearly as high as 'Joshua Tree' so will probably also get a good amount of representation on this collection. 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' really helped introduce the "New U2" to the world so I think deserves inclusion."

One
"Is this even in question? No way."

Mysterious Ways
"A live favourite, a fan favourite, so a pretty safe bet for inclusion."

Beautiful Day
"The representation of U2's rebirth as a "classic" rock band, it has to be on the collection. Plus, it's become a real anthem after September 11 and Hurricane Katrina."

Walk On
"Grammy-winning and the anthem for a variety of causes, including the Free Burma Campaign, I think this is another given."

Elevation
"It was the name of one of the biggest tours of all time and a song that always gets fans jumping. Definitely worthy of inclusion."

Vertigo
"'How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' deserves its due on the collection for winning the band its first Best Album Grammy in more than a decade, and I think this first single is a great place to start."

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
"Another Grammy-winning track, coupled with its connection to Bono's late father I think earns this track inclusion."

Do you agree with Devlin's choices? Send your comments to editor@pipex.com.

--Pipex.com

Again tell me if these 2 songs:

Stay
Please

aren't on the album U2 have gone mad. Those two songs deserve to be in that list simply because those two are one of the best songs U2 have ever created.

U2 need to stop looking at the mainstream stuff but need to explore again! Go take some risk!

Totally disagree :rant: :yuck: :banghead: :coocoo:

Anyway ... why this sort news? :eyebrow:

It seems that U2 don't have a clue and they're troubled about selecting the songs of their Greatest hits and want our opinion :hmm:

If so, it's about time they include AT LEAST one song per album. Every U2 album had work behind, songwriting, effort, etc, so it's unfair that they hide some albums and they aren't shy about certain records like ATYCLB and HTDAAB :down:

I've pointed out many times that it's simply IMPOSSIBLE to pretend to make a definitive compilation from 25+ years professional career and it's such a lack of respect to the band legacy and reputation.

Anyway, if they still want to go with this nonsense already hated by the u2 fanbase on the web, this should be the compilation:

1- I Will Follow
2- Gloria
3- Sunday Bloody Sunday
4- New Year's Day
5- Pride (in the name of love)
6- Bad
7- Where The Streets Have No Name
8- I Still Haven't Found
9- With Or Without You
10-Desire
11-Even Better Than The Real Thing or The Fly (Differences between US and UK editions)
12-One
13-Stay
14-Discotheque (By the way .... ORIGINAL)
15-Beautiful Day
16-City Of Blinding Lights (Way better song than Vertigo and best song of HTTAAB according to most of fans, just check amazon reviews!)

As you can see, FAR from being even half complete, but at least all the albums are represented on it :heart:

And what is this: are you trying to push U2 to release and ATYCLB and HTDAAB based compilation? I simply can't believe this. Hasn't been enough the amount of Zooropa and Pop bashing?. That makes me feel so sad, really

It's clear that nobody remember when Bono confessed that "Mofo is the most important song of my life, it's about my life".

I hate ATYCLB and HTTAAB, but at least I'm not that kind of light weight fan who don't give a s*** about the albums they don't like. EVERY U2 album should be represented on compilations

Last edited:
I don't see Walk On making it. If it's another ATYCLB song, Stuck would take it's place.

Even Better Than The Real Thing is a contender, but The Fly was what introduced the world to U2's "dreamt all up again" sound. It's a live staple to boot. Fly over EBTTRT.

I Will Follow isn't as much a given I don't think as many are saying. Yes it's the bands mainstream introduction and a semi staple live but with other big songs, like COBL or Miss Sarejevo, The Sweetest Thing or EBTTRT if The Fly does indeed make it, IWF may get the boot. Plus, I don't think I Will Follow is as well known as us die hards think it is.

Streets
Pride
WOWY
One
Myst Ways
BD
Vertigo
Desire

All Locks.

I also agree regarding October, Pop & Zooropa; no maas.

However, I would love to see this compilation be instead, something to get the non fans talking:

1. Electric Co
2. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
3. Surrender
4. 40
5. Wire
6. Running To Stand Still
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. One Tree Hill
9. God Part II
10. Zoo Station
11. Until The End Of The World
12. Dirty Day (Better Kiss)
13. Gone
14. Kite
15. Love & Peace Or Else
16. Yahweh

Last edited:
"Gloria" was sadly ignored on the 80's "Best Of". Given that this is a popular live track and one of the few songs off of "October" that most fans know, it should have been included there. Hence, I can see it's possible inclusion on this follow-up "Best Of".

If U2 have a "special CD" set, then perhaps disc 2, providing it's not a DVD, may have some of the songs that are missed, like "The Fly" (or "Even Better Than...), "Stay", "Discotheque", "Please", "City of Blinding Lights", "All I Want...", etc. However, my guess is that the second disc will be a DVD of some sort.

for me

I will follow
SBS
NYD
Pride
WOWY
Streets
Found
AIWIY
One
Real thing
Stay
Discothequé
Beautiful Day
Stuck
Vertigo
Sometimes
The Saints
new single

but i hope they'll put in something of October (Gloria) to represent each album

Re: Re: (10-06-2006) With or Without You? -- Pipex.com*

ponkine said:

It seems that U2 don't have a clue and they're troubled about selecting the songs of their Greatest hits and want our opinion :hmm:

lol

ponkine said:

Actually, while you claim you totally disagree, you really don't. In fact, 11 of your 16 choices match Devlin's. So that's hardly "total disagreement".

As for your second comment, this is a U2 website. Discussion about something like, oh, say a NEW U2 ALBUM is relevant. Yes, it's another "Best Of", but it's still a new release by U2 and contains new U2 material. Hence that's news. Add in the fact that another website (pipex.com) is quoting a Devlin - a person who helps run Interference, the very website you're on - and I think that definitely qualifies as newsworthy.

So after actually agreeing with you once, Ponkine, I see I'm back to my normal stance of really questioning your logic and posts. But as I'm sure you write with heavy sarcasm, it's all good. :sexywink:

Re: Re: Re: (10-06-2006) With or Without You? -- Pipex.com*

doctorwho said:

Actually, while you claim you totally disagree, you really don't. In fact, 11 of your 16 choices match Devlin's. So that's hardly "total disagreement".

As for your second comment, this is a U2 website. Discussion about something like, oh, say a NEW U2 ALBUM is relevant. Yes, it's another "Best Of", but it's still a new release by U2 and contains new U2 material. Hence that's news. Add in the fact that another website (pipex.com) is quoting a Devlin - a person who helps run Interference, the very website you're on - and I think that definitely qualifies as newsworthy.

So after actually agreeing with you once, Ponkine, I see I'm back to my normal stance of really questioning your logic and posts. But as I'm sure you write with heavy sarcasm, it's all good. :sexywink:

Well written Doc. Of course let us not forget what the article at U2com says (always a reliable source of course ?), it's 16 of U2's best known songs(which could be based on single sales/chart positions, radio play, sales of the album they came from...) - not necessarily `hits' or fans favourites. For me that means (not my faves in every instance):

1 - I Will Follow

2 - New Years Day

3 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

4 - Pride

5 - WOWY

6 - ISHFWILF

7- Streets

8- Desire

9- All I Want

10- One

11 - Mysterious Ways

12 - Even Better

13- Discotheque

14- Beautiful Day

15- Elevation

16 - Vertigo

Maybe 9.13 & 15 are at risk - but the others are certs

Mike

I agree with the idea that every album should have at least one track. This tracklist may not have been all chart busters but this would be my line-up. I really don't think there's any way they can make a track list to please everybody.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. Beautiful Day
4. One
5. Gone
6. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
7. October
8. I Will Follow
9. New Year's Day
10. Desire
11. Elevation
12. The Fly
13. Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
14. Vertigo
15. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
16. Walk On
17. Saints
18. New Song

I think

I will follow
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Pride
first three off JT
Desire
One
MW
EBTTRT
Stay
Discotheque
BD
Vertigo

1. Vertigo
2. Vertigo
3. Vertigo
4. Vertigo
5. Vertigo
6. Vertigo
7. Vertigo
8. Vertigo
9. Vertigo
10. Vertigo
11. Vertigo
12. Vertigo
13. Vertigo
14. Vertigo
15. Vertigo
16. Vertigo
17. Saints
18. Hello Hello

Think it's tough now, imagine them coming up with a track list for a one disk compliation assuming they produce two more albums? Lets say again 18 tracks, two bonus tracks, 4 tracks reserved for the next two albums. How do you respresent with just 12 tracks to work with?

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. New Years day
3. Pride
4. Streets
5. With or Without You
6. Desire
7. The Fly
8. One
9. The Sweetest Thing
10. Beautiful Day
11. Vertigo
12. Sometimes

Goocher100 said:
I agree with the idea that every album should have at least one track. This tracklist may not have been all chart busters but this would be my line-up. I really don't think there's any way they can make a track list to please everybody.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. Beautiful Day
4. One
5. Gone
6. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
7. October
8. I Will Follow
9. New Year's Day
10. Desire
11. Elevation
12. The Fly
13. Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
14. Vertigo
15. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
16. Walk On
17. Saints
18. New Song

5 & 7 haven't a hope of being included ! whereas 12, 14 & 16 aren't certs

Mike

how hard is this gonna be? Its hard even trying to get the songs to flow with each other. here we go

01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
03. With Or Without You
04. Beautiful Day
05. One
06. Vertigo
07. Elevation
08. Mysterious Ways
09. Desire
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. I Will Follow
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
14. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
15. New Years Day
16. All I Want Is You
17. The Saints
18. New Song

Way too many songs to choose from, this is not for the hardcore u2 fans, but will probably sell through the roof.

Do you know that the band have released several promos including tracks from all their albums, and with fantastic tracklisting as well?. Just have a look at the first one (1985) and last one (2000)

1- Cassette Sampler

I Will Follow (Album Version) (3:34)
Gloria (Album Version) (4:13)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Album Version) (4:34)
Two Hearts Beat as One (Album Version) (4:01)
"40" (Album Version) (2:53)
11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Long Version) (4:10)
New Year's Day (Album Version) (5:35)
A Sort of Homecoming (Album Version) (5:29)
4th of July (Long Version - Instrumental) (2:38)
The Three Sunrises (3:52)
Bad (Album Version) (6:09)
Pride (In the Name of Love) (Album Version) (3:48)

2- Previous Day

I Will Follow (3:36)
Fire (3:51)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (4:40)
Pride (In the Name of Love) (3:48)
With or Without You (4:55)
Desire (2:59)
The Fly (4:29)
Stay (Faraway So Close) (4:58)
Discotheque (5:19)
Sweetest Thing (Single Version) (3:00)

Previous Day was released in 2000, believe it or not to promote ATYCLB. If they could release promos featuring tracks from all their albums to date, it doesn't make sense that they don't include tracks from all their albums. Fire was include to promote ATYCLB!!!! That's the most clear example of having an open mind to select tracks for compilations :up:

This already failed new best of should have at least the dignity of representing all U2 albums :heart:

I doubt they will exclude Angel of Harlem and all the songs from Pop and Zooropa. Hopefully Discotheque will be on there... and COBL over SYCMIYO

DaveC said:
:down:

Another Best Of? Terrible idea. :tsk:

I agree. I'm disappointed. I thought U2 were in the studio working on new material before hitting the road to make up those show dates from their Vertigo tour. I'd rather have new stuff....even if Zooropa-ish.

stuck shouldn't be on this comp. COBL is a much more deserving track.

and Discotheque And Stay absolutely NEED to be on this record.

don't forget that in the Bono Rolling Stone Interview last year bono said STAY is the best U2 track. period. omitting it would be a mistake.

that said, what of the one offs not from albums?

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Sweetest Thing
Electrical Storm

of course they won't be included, but a couple probably should. probably HMTMKMKM and ST, since they were pretty much huge hits. MS and ES weren't that big, but are important tracks.

Sorry--I think I'm confused about the nature of this new record.

Haven't they done the first two GREATEST records as decades long pieces with B-sides as well?

Am I only the one who feels it's the B-sides that made the first two greatest discs memorable?

Compilations - mixtapes by the band with their choices and not mine as a fan aren't that exciting, although releasing the Green Day collaboration is a good idea.

Anu

Anu said:

Am I only the one who feels it's the B-sides that made the first two greatest discs memorable?

Well, the 80-90 Best of B-sides disc was AWESOME.

The second Best of B-side disc was pretty forgettable.

I'm hoping that this 'Best of' compilation will include singles that weren't included on the last set of 'Best of's like Fire, Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Best As One, The Fly, Lemon, Discotheque (the original version!), Please (the single version), Mofo, Walk On, Original of the Species. One can dream, can't one!?! :shrug: :wink:

ponkine said:

1- I Will Follow
2- Gloria
3- Sunday Bloody Sunday
4- New Year's Day
5- Pride (in the name of love)
6- Bad
7- Where The Streets Have No Name
8- I Still Haven't Found
9- With Or Without You
10-Desire