(05-18-2005) On the Road--Joe O'Herlihy -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
On the Road--Joe O'Herlihy

U2.com has added a new profile to its "On the Road" series, audio director Joe O'Herlihy. O'Herlihy has been with the band pretty much since the beginning and is one of the most recognized members of the U2 road crew.

The members-only interview can be accessed here but snippets are available below.

Favorite memory of life on the road with U2
My favorite memory would be quite a tearful experience - Aprils 1st 1984 when we played Madison Square Gardens for the first time. Having worked with Rory Gallagher, the torch bearer for the Irish rock industry in the 1970’s following on from Van Morrison, a torch to an extent picked up by Thin Lizzy - finally here and now at Madison Square Gardens, was an Irish band with Irish management and an Irish crew. We had arrived. We had made it. It was our turn to carry the torch onwards. I sobbed my way through the gig, I was overcome with joy and emotion.

Sometimes you do what you do and there is whatever reward at the end, but what we do with U2 is beyond reward. It is a lot deeper, it is hard to quantify. Working with U2 it is a spiritual thing. I feel absolutely blessed. Many people hate what they do for work, but I get up and I feel touched everyday with what I do with this band. It’s more than rock music with U2 and it has been ever since the Arcadia Ballroom in Cork. Most bands have a good front man but the message is limited even so. But with U2 the level of commitment and communication is definitely on another level and every night I have the best seat in the house.
The show is a fantastic experience and the one thing that sums up those emotions is when everyone turns around to leave at the end of the show, seeing the smiles, the sheer joy, feeling the love as people leave and flood past me at FOH. It is really special.

Would Love U2 to Play
‘Threw A Brick Through A Window’ or ‘Twilight’. One of the most difficult songs I find to listen to – for personal reasons - is ‘One Tree Hill’ and I think I would love to hear that from the stage because of the friendship I had with Greg Carroll. I’d probably cry my eyes out too. I’m sure as the tour progresses we might get to it.

Wow.

Back
Top Bottom