(01-31-2005) Vertigo Tour Tickets: Latest News -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Vertigo Tour Tickets: Latest News

Public demand for tickets for U2's 'Vertigo 2005' tour both in Europe and North America continues to break records.

To date over 600,000 tickets have been bought, with sold-out shows in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, San Diego, San Jose, Philadelphia, London, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff and Brussels.

Inevitably this staggering level of interest has meant that in every city where a show has been announced, demand has vastly exceeded supply. This situation has been particularly acute for those people attempting to buy general admission (standing/on the floor) tickets where the greatest demand has been chasing the smallest number of tickets - in every venue.

U2.Com would like to take this opportunity to apologise to those people, both U2.Com subscribers and those that attempted to buy tickets when they went on general sale, who were unable to obtain a ticket for their preferred venue.

Despite the technical difficulties that initially hampered the pre-sale, thousands of U2.Com subscribers in North America and Europe did manage to successfully purchase tickets for these shows.

It is the band's intention to return to North America for further shows in the fall and U2.Com subscribers, who have not been able to use their unique access codes so far, will be able to buy tickets for these additional dates. Once again these tickets will be available on a strictly first come first served basis.

As is now obvious from the number of tickets being re-sold at vastly inflated prices on sites such as e-bay, we are currently suffering the same 'scalping' problem that accompanies every successful tour. U2.Com in combination with the relevant authorities is doing all that it can to identify where these tickets have originated and, where it is possible, to have these sales cancelled.

Although we realized that some subscribers might be scalpers using multiple email addresses and reserved the right to cancel any ticket order, we underestimated the potential numbers of such scalpers/subscribers.

President of worldwide tour promoter TNA, Arthur Fogel, points out that 'Apart from the broker running the risk that the ticket order may be cancelled the reality is there's nothing to stop a broker from joining a fan club and being part of a pre-sale.'

We are sorry that this has happened and we would like to offer anyone who has a still unused unique access code the opportunity to get their U2.Com subscription money back.

(There will be full details of how to obtain your refund published on U2.com on Wednesday February 2nd.)

Please note that anyone who takes advantage of this refund offer will not be able to take part in any future U2 ticket presale.

U2.Com remains an enormously popular, award winning, free artist web-site. When the bands' long established fan-magazine Propaganda closed (subscription to which gave the opportunity to purchase U2 tickets in advance of their public on-sale) a 'subscribers only' area was established on U2.Com. With a subscription fee of $40.00, in line with other subscription-based artist sites, U2.Com provided outstanding extra value content: enabling members to access full length audio and video streaming of U2's entire catalogue, a web based e-mail address, exclusive interviews and documentary footage, discount on U2 merchandise, as well as a unique code that allowed the member access to a ticket pre-sale.

U2.Com continues to provide constantly updated U2 news and inside information on its free site.

We are sorry if we inadvertently gave the impression that the $40.00 subscription guaranteed you the tickets of your choice.

--U2.com

Last edited:
Like anyone with an unused code is going to cancel/want a refund now that they've said there will be pre-sales for the fall shows.

I do admire the fact that they formerly replied/apologized.

But you have to admit, fans were screaming for an apology or how unfair it was to pay $$.

U2 have now proven that they aren't just about the $$. They not only apologized, but have done a myriad of things - like offering fans back their $ and working with TM to figure out how to prevent scalpers in the future. This is all good news.

Granted, some bands may have been organized in the beginning, but this is a live and learn process. And I doubt there's a lot of artists who would go to such measures to care for their fans after such a fiasco. So I'm very proud of U2 for this.

So what about those of us who desperately got nosebleeds because they were all we could get, even though we didn't really want them?

well, I didn't get squat from both the pre-sale and the general sale. So, I'd take your "nosebleeds" off your hands in a second.

Seriously, what do you want for em?

This must be a lie. U2 are the most greedy, $ grubbing band in rock. There is no way they're actually going part with millions of dollars, especially since it was their intention to steal that money in the first place.:wink:

Look at it this way... you've been frustrated beyond belief throughout the presale, just like everyone else, when lo and behold! A pair of tickets magically appears. They're crappy, but you take them, b/c nothing else had appeared to date.

I intend to use them as leveraging power to get GAs, either thru selling to offset the scalper cost or as trades. My apologies, but I have friends who are already going to a dozen shows, half GA, so I know they're out there (and not $400 a pop), and I'm going to do my best to find them.

MrBrau1 said:
This must be a lie. U2 are the most greedy, $ grubbing band in rock. There is no way they're actually going part with millions of dollars, especially since it was their intention to steal that money in the first place.:wink:

You know what the sad thing is. I think that some on this forum still think that way. And nothing will make them rethink their beliefs... :tsk:

I'm glad they did this. They are between a rock and a hard place, and they deserve a bye after years of proving their loyalty to fans.

I just hope they work at straightening out their management and business arrangements. I'm sure they will, since this has hurt everyone involved.

Well, this is a refreshing thread. I understand people's frustration but I agree that the band deserves a bye on this one.

I just can't forget so quickly the 20+ years of enjoyment they've given me because of one thing that maybe didn't go as they would have liked.

I'm starting to think that some of the people that are freaking out to the point of protesting outside of the grammies or trying to sabotage the show they go to, must also disown one of their kids the first time they fuck up, or file for divorce after the first major fight with their spouse.

"It is the band's intention to return to North America for further shows in the fall and U2.Com subscribers, who have not been able to use their unique access codes so far, will be able to buy tickets for these additional dates. Once again these tickets will be available on a strictly first come first served basis."

Does this mean that if you used your code for US Leg 1 (Spring), you will not have another opportunity during the US Leg 3 (Fall) pre-sale???

I thought we'd all get another pre-sale code for the next US Leg??? So, if they end up playing 30 or so cities and 60 or so shows (between US Leg 1 and 3), members will literally get 2 tickets for 1 show total???

What a joke. BRING BACK PROPAGANDA!!!

sconti said:
"It is the band's intention to return to North America for further shows in the fall and U2.Com subscribers, who have not been able to use their unique access codes so far, will be able to buy tickets for these additional dates. Once again these tickets will be available on a strictly first come first served basis."

Does this mean that if you used your code for US Leg 1 (Spring), you will not have another opportunity during the US Leg 3 (Fall) pre-sale???

I thought we'd all get another pre-sale code for the next US Leg??? So, if they end up playing 30 or so cities and 60 or so shows (between US Leg 1 and 3), members will literally get 2 tickets for 1 show total???

What a joke. BRING BACK PROPAGANDA!!!

Why?
IIRC, with Propaganda you could also only order tickets for one concert.
:shrug:

sconti said:

If you used your code for the first leg you cannot use it for the third leg. The only way to get a new code is to re-up your U2.com membership (which most likely will not have expired by then).

Sadly (as sconti has proven) no matter what efforts U2, PM and U2.com go through to try to fix a problem that is only so fixable, fans or people will still find something to get angry about. My guess is that there were at least 1 million individuals trying to buy 600,000+ seats. Sadly scalpers are part of the mix, that is not U2's fault. If it is, please tell me how do you keep the scalpers from buying U2.com memberships? I work in IT and I don't know of anyway to identify anonymous users as far as their intentions.

I hope all involved, mad or not can all find happiness in U2. This tour will be amazing, AMAZING. I was looking forward to Elevation, but I'm more excited for this tour.

Popmartijn said:

Why?
IIRC, with Propaganda you could also only order tickets for one concert.
:shrug:

Actually, that's not true. I am at this very moment looking at the order forms from Propaganda for the Elevation Tour. (Just going through some of my old U2 stuff. Ahh the memories.) On the rules and disclaimers page it says,

Instructions:

1. You may purchase a maximum of two seats per concert.
2. You may purchase tickets for a maximum of two concerts.

That was for the first part of the tour because I had to return the form by Jan. 20th 2001.

Then later that year I received another letter from Propaganda for more tickets for the 2nd leg of the tour. For that leg the limit was two tickets for one concert and that form had to be returned by Sept. 26 2001. So basically, Propaganda subscribers had a shot at 3 concerts for Elevation. Of course even then there was no guarantee of tickets but I believe that everone who returned the form on time at least got something. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall Prop subscribers being completely shut out unless there was a problem with the mail or an incorrect address or missing the deadline or something.

I'm not saying bring back Propaganda but it would be nice to have the same rules apply. And I'm really happy that U2 is addressing this problem as I knew they would.

Hey MrBrau1, my 20+ year relationship with U2 goes on (as if it was gonna end over something like this). And I always look forward to your posts because I love seeing that baby.:wink:

Popmartijn said:

You know what the sad thing is. I think that some on this forum still think that way. And nothing will make them rethink their beliefs... :tsk:

Be careful now, Martijn, or I will have to "rethink my love" for you...:laugh::lmao::lol:

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog, I'm NOT just tring to find something to complain about. The old system was better (as Buttecup67 just proved above). That is all I'm saying. The system shouldn't get worse for long time fans, it should only stay the same or get better.

To go from up to 3 shows during Elevation down to 1 for Vertigo (or none for A LOT of people) is not progress. It's moving backwards. Pretty straight forward I think.

Right, but even then there are many of us who didn't even get their Propaganda discount in the mail. I have yet to receive that, or the mysterious keychain that everyone keeps talking about.
So unfortunately, I don't think there is a flawless way to get tickets to the fans.
Right now I just feel bad for all the people who panicked and bought whatever they could. I really hope there are other opportunities that come up for them. Here's hoping that U2 seize the opportunity and have a LOT of roll-over dates. At least then it would reduce the value of the scalpers' tickets.

Ticketmaster called me and allowed me to buy 2 tickets to Philly which I gladly accepted. If they did not call, I would have got a refund.

I tried the presale, tried the onsale- Didnt get a single ticket. If my $40 would have been returned I would have been no worse off then before. This is a good effort to make things right.

Buttercup67 said:

Of course even then there was no guarantee of tickets but I believe that everone who returned the form on time at least got something. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall Prop subscribers being completely shut out unless there was a problem with the mail or an incorrect address or missing the deadline or something.

I know some people that didn't get PROP tickets for the 3rd leg of ELEVATION (got an apology in the mail instead)

I think that was due to the fact that many scalpers had figured out the PROP thing.

In fact, I have always thought that THIS was one of the reasons that PROP ended: too many scalpers had joined the fan club in the middle of the tour.
Now, do I think the replacement to PROP went well? Hell no! But I think that U2 have done all that they could to resolve the problem:

1) return ETS and AMEX GAs
2) ticketmaster calling people up and letting them buy GAs
3) U2.com apology
4) refund... VERY impressed with this!

The most important thing that will come out of this (I hope) is that they will not make the same mistakes in the fall. I don't know what they can do to prevent scalpers (OTHER THAN A U.S. LAW MAKING RESELLING OF TICKETS OVER FACE VALUE ILLEGAL!!! Why not?!?!) but I think that they will try something.

I don't know if buying tickets with names on them and having to pick them up with IDs the day of the show will help... that might just make it complicated for people with last-minute emergencies (not that I would ever miss a U2 show!!)

I also hope that this apology (and refund) ends most of the bitching. Anyone who started a thread "U2 sellouts" or similar needs to shut the **** up.

I understand those who are still pissed because they bought crappy seats with their passcode (my friend did that with the membership I got him for x-mas), but hey... at least you are in the building... that is all that matters... it's gonna be an amazing show!

Excellent message from u2.com - really do hope it returns the negativity levels that seems to be rife on this forum lately back down to "normal" levels. Can't see any reason why someone would have a reason to complain now.............

I love how the fans that GOT tickets through this rediculous system can't seem to understand why people are so angry. I especially love the smart people out there that don't see how U2.com could have prepared for or prevented the scalpers from buying tickets through the fan site. Brilliant.

How difficult do you think it is to know how many u2.com memberships exist and multiply that number by 2 to determine how many presale tickets to set aside? This obviously didn't happen.

What does that have to do with some people buying multiple memberships? If I were one of those people I would be REALLY PISSED, having paid $40 a pop for seat and not getting them. I bet some of those people got totally srewed. Which provides a bit of solice.

I had selected 2 GA tickets on Tuesday morning at 10:00:02 AM and only had the option - after watch the Ticketbastard wait time click up instead of down for 20 minutes - of buying seats in third deck BEHIND the stage...and I tried every venue in the country.

Fan Since 1985
Prop Member Since 1988
Ticketless in 2005

How else can I get tickets ....... I tried purchasing some yesterday but unfortunately they were all sold out. I NEED TO SEE THEM........... PLEASE SOMEBODY ELSE HELP ME!:sad: :sad: :sad:

Buttercup67 said:
That was for the first part of the tour because I had to return the form by Jan. 20th 2001.

Then later that year I received another letter from Propaganda for more tickets for the 2nd leg of the tour. For that leg the limit was two tickets for one concert and that form had to be returned by Sept. 26 2001.

Well, those not living in the USA didn't get 2 order forms. They either got one (Europe) or maybe even none at all (Aussies?). That is was a maximum of 2 concerts could be possible. My memory doesn't go back that far. :wink:

Renrut said:
I love how the fans that GOT tickets through this rediculous system can't seem to understand why people are so angry. I especially love the smart people out there that don't see how U2.com could have prepared for or prevented the scalpers from buying tickets through the fan site. Brilliant.

How difficult do you think it is to know how many u2.com memberships exist and multiply that number by 2 to determine how many presale tickets to set aside? This obviously didn't happen.

The problem with this calculation is that you don't know for which concert to set aside the tickets. They maybe knew they had about 100,000 memberships, but could of course not set aside 200,000 tickets in a venue. Most arenas only hold a maximum of 20,000 (and say 50,000 for the stadiums) And then there is the group that wouldn't use their code for these 2 legs, but save them for the third.

Still, they did set aside far too few tickets for the first batch of venues that went on sale last week.

C ya!

Marty

EveClayton said:
How else can I get tickets ....... I tried purchasing some yesterday but unfortunately they were all sold out. I NEED TO SEE THEM........... PLEASE SOMEBODY ELSE HELP ME!:sad: :sad: :sad:

Keep trying Ticketmaster as the shows get closer because more tickets will show up (I got tickets for a previously sold out Madonna Drowned World show the day of, and U2 Elevation tickets three days prior). Then you can always go with brokers. Look through the classifieds section in your Sunday paper, there should be nearly a dozen agencies selling U2 tickets. I've only gotten tickets from an agency once (NKOTB way back when) and the mark-up wasn't too high. You can only buy tickets in even numbers, though, from what I remember.

This story has disapeared from the u2.com website.

I hate when they do this, I absolutely despise when their news stories mysteriously disapear.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

We've been lied to.....again.

It is 2/2, there's no refund information on U2.com, and this announcement has disappeared from U2.com's news section.

Back
Top Bottom