Week 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets get buying the magnificent remixes on UK Itunes and get this song up the charts where it belongs!

Australia #32 (#23)
This is actually very bad for the usually U2-loving Australia. Sales are approx 73,000 plus whatever was sold on the first day (not included in chart)

Just to compare to Pop (released at same time of the year), NLOTH had a better start but is fading faster than what Pop did. Pop was stopped from immediate disappearance by the release of Staring At The Sun, so my question is, where the hell is MAGNIFICENT?

NLOTH
1 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 11 - 18 -23 - 32

POP

1 - 4 - 6 - 9 - 11 - 13 - 10 - 17 - 21

Uk : NLOTH #27 from #33 the previous week.

at least its moving in the right direction. next week will see a much bigger climb, but i think it will be back in the 40's in 2-3 weeks. to put it in comparison, pink and the prodigy's albums are at #6 and #7 due to their latest singles doing well. i cant see magnificent doing the same for NLOTH. i hope to be proved wrong.

Down to #7 from #6 in The Netherlands which is actually quite good with only one new entry (Dylan) above it. Sold 22% of the #1 album (Adele).

Magnificent in the UK right now

143 on itunes (the best selling version)

magnificent.jpg

That's how all the versions are selling, relative to the version at 143

The EP itself is 99 on the albums chart too

All sales will be added together

oh so they do add all sales for the chart?

when do sales for next weeks chart start? i assume they have already started.
if you add all versions to the one at #143 that would equal well into the top 100 surely?

oh so they do add all sales for the chart?

when do sales for next weeks chart start? i assume they have already started.
if you add all versions to the one at #143 that would equal well into the top 100 surely?

Yes all versions will be added so you'd be better off buying the EPs song by song then as a whole, that way anything with Magnificent in the name will be counted as a sale for the song

Started today

And it probably is top 100, once the song itself makes top 100 we'll be able to judge how it's doing overall but not before then

So has it dropped a few places? you said it was 125 yesterday and now its dropped to 143?

magnificent EP is in the top 100 albums thats why the album version has dropped at a guess

So has it dropped a few places? you said it was 125 yesterday and now its dropped to 143?

magnificent EP is in the top 100 albums thats why the album version has dropped at a guess

Yes it has dropped but it's too early to know why it dropped. For example it could be as Andy said and people are buying the EP as a whole over just downloading the album version, or it could be a drop in sales overall. I'd say Andy is right though

Poland:

Week 9

NLOTH:
1-1-1-1-2-3-3-5 - 5 :up:

...and just to compare...
HTDAAB:
1-1-3-5-6-4-8-11-8-12-18-15........

HITS numbers starting to come in: No Line down to number 43 with 3,534 units sold, with just over 37% in. I think that looks like a biggish drop on last week. No Line normally starts off decent, has a lull in the middle and finishes strongly on HITS.

Don't post anything "negative" on here, some people here wont like what you have to say. It is one thing to be a troll and say negative things just for the heck of it and it is a completely different thing to state the facts and then have people start to make excuses.

All in all unless something changes this album will struggle to outsell U218 and that is a failure by any standard. You can blame downloading and the economy all you want these are factors but I think the ultimate factor is that Get On Your Boots was not well recieved from the start and this album up to this point has had a very poor promotion rating, as well as they waited far too long to put out a second single. Magnificent should have been out a month ago. Last but not least maybe people are just getting tired of U2 and think they are long past their best song writting days.

I think this is a great album myself but in my opinion from first listen there are only 2 tracks that have the potential to be "hits", Magnificent and Crazy Tonight because they remind people of the U2 sound the mainstream has come to expect from the band, whether that is a good or a bad thing.

The album will always be a classic in my mind, but it will be a sales failure for the band, I thought it would sell better then this but I think U2 are just getting a bit old age wise to have album selling appeal. It happens to the best of them and it is starting to happen to U2.

Yes this album has sold decently when compaired to other albums from this year but in the end I am sure that everybody expected more. Spin the numbers all you want these are the facts.

Yes this album has sold decently when compaired to other albums from this year but in the end I am sure that everybody expected more. Spin the numbers all you want these are the facts.

If by "decently" you mean that this is the top selling album of the year into May, then yes, NLOTH has sold "decently."

Let's give some credit where credit is due.

That being said, I do agree with you that NLOTH could have sold a lot better with better promotion and managing of the singles being released.

If it has a strong second half on Hits it might still be a decent performance and sneak into the top 30 which wouldn't be too bad. Even though U2 may be waning in their mass market appeal these days even if the product is still quality, the marketing is really hurting this album. In saying that, even if they did a bucket load of promo for Mag it might only amount to a few thousand extra sales over a few weeks - maybe they think that's not worth it? But at the same time, why go to all the bother of spending a week in Fez shooting a video, authorising and approving remixes, cover art, only then to basically go underground when the song was starting to hit the airwaves? At the end of the day, who cares, we have a great new album, and hopefully a great upcoming tour, so I'm happy. :hyper:

Don't post anything "negative" on here, some people here wont like what you have to say. It is one thing to be a troll and say negative things just for the heck of it and it is a completely different thing to state the facts and then have people start to make excuses.

All in all unless something changes this album will struggle to outsell U218 and that is a failure by any standard. You can blame downloading and the economy all you want these are factors but I think the ultimate factor is that Get On Your Boots was not well recieved from the start and this album up to this point has had a very poor promotion rating, as well as they waited far too long to put out a second single. Magnificent should have been out a month ago. Last but not least maybe people are just getting tired of U2 and think they are long past their best song writting days.

I think this is a great album myself but in my opinion from first listen there are only 2 tracks that have the potential to be "hits", Magnificent and Crazy Tonight because they remind people of the U2 sound the mainstream has come to expect from the band, whether that is a good or a bad thing.

The album will always be a classic in my mind, but it will be a sales failure for the band, I thought it would sell better then this but I think U2 are just getting a bit old age wise to have album selling appeal. It happens to the best of them and it is starting to happen to U2.

People can state negative facts. After all, he's not making up the numbers. :)

The difference is when someone is gloating about how much a "failure" this album is. One just doesn't expect that from U2 fans on a U2 message board.

All of what you wrote above is correct. GOYB was not a big hit. I think U2 hoped it would be another "Vertigo", but it wasn't. In fact, its similarity to "Vertigo" is part of what hurt it. As GOYB was not a hit, "Magnificent" should have come out earlier. These days, many artists are releasing their albums in conjunction with the release of a second single, not shortly after the first single. This now gives two potential hit songs from an album, thus pushing album sales. Also, the economy and mainly downloading have hurt the album. These days, kids download albums using Torrents. The days of teens buying CD's are dwindling fast. Lastly, it appears the era of the hit single has returned. While GOYB didn't sell well, many other artists are seeing huge sales for their songs, but relatively weak album sales.

This last point is key. You say people are tired of U2. Maybe. But Kelly Clarkson's album came out a week later, yet has about half the sales of NLOTH. That album featured a #1 single. So are people getting tired of Clarkson too? Flo Rida had a monster #1 single with a ton of legal downloads of the song. Yet his album has dropped fast on the charts, debuting at a rather weak #8, despite this huge hit song. People aren't interested in albums as much - people, especially teens, are all about the hit single.

"Magnificent" is defintely following the path of "Beautiful Day". That song did not leap out of the gates like "Vertigo". BD slowly grew week after week, month after month. It peaked on the Hot 100 months after it was released, not the first few weeks! NLOTH may eventually feel the effects of "Magnificent" several months from now.

My point is that we have to consider all aspects. Numbers are numbers and posting them is not negative. Stating why something is a big hit or a flop is speculative though - we don't know for sure, but we can theorize. I knew GOYB was in trouble based on the reception it received on Interference at @U2 - if this song wasn't appreciated by the die-hards, would the casual fan enjoy it? But U2 has done this approach before - "The Fly" wasn't a big hit and "Numb" wasn't even released as a CD single. Both are very odd songs as well. Yet, those albums did well. I think once "Magnificent" finally kicks in and the tour comes to the U.S., we'll see a boost with NLOTH. But until then, the album will see a slower pace of sales. I thought it may level, and it still might, but perhaps lower than I initially thought (as I was counting on "Magnificent" already being a bigger hit).

Yeah, I read Yahweh's first sentence and decided at the time not to comment on it, but at the end of the day I think it was a bit inappropriate to mention trolling at all, and disrespectful. This is a message board to get info on sales, which is what I was providing. End of.

If you're interested HITS has updated with just over 76% in and No Line now has 7,930 units sold at number 41, so with its usual late burst on Hits hopefully it will climb back up there a bit.

Please keep posting macawaca, I'm interested in those numbers, high or low.

GOYB isnt as good as vertigo, but its the same kind of song, and should have done better than what it did. to sell less than U2:18 is very poor, as u2:18 was no massive seller (even though its about #25 selling album since 2006, as im sure irishteen would point out) i think if this album can sell 5M copies by 1st march 2010 then thats got to be a success near the level of coldplay VLV, as album sales continue to decline. 9and with a massive tour to come, its a push but possible). im still puzzled by the ACDC 5M + copies though, would like to see a country by country list of where these sales have come from.

HITS Final now in: No Line now at number 35 with 14,230 units sold, down 17% from last week. 7 new entries above it this week.

Back
Top Bottom