No Line On The Horizon #1 on Amazon.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know whether they were right or wrong, but in 2000 the major record labels in the US felt that singles eroded album sales. That's why they killed singles.

I have no doubt that Beautiful Day could have been a top 10 single. I'm saying that the labels at the time didn't care, they were only interested in selling albums because they have the highest margins. I would assume that they had some marketing research to back up the idea that people wouldn't buy the album if they could just buy the single, and iTunes seems to be proving that.

I don't know about MJ and Elvis, But the Beatles' "1" included songs that went to #1 in either the US or the UK, so a lack of #1's in the US wouldn't prevent U2 from doing something similar. But really, do they need another "best of" album at this point?

U2 "1" based on this formula:

With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Desire
The Fly
Discothèque
Beautiful Day
Take Me To The Clouds Above
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own

:yuck:

Include Canada and I'm sure there'd be a few more songs on there, think Electrical Storm went to #1 here.

With or Without You
Desire
The Fly
Discothèque
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

I wouldn't say :yuck: to that list.

However, given that U2 are an Irish group, I would definitely incorporate #1 songs from Ireland.

Also, given U2's international appeal, perhaps #1 songs in Canada, Australia and New Zealand should be included - or even in any country anywhere.

That would make the track-listing more well-rounded.

Of course, as was stated, at this point, U2 hardly need another "best of" album.

doctorwho,

I have been reading your comments on this forum for a long time and have always enjoyed you input on sales numbers. I want to ask your opinion on who you think is to blame for all of these missteps in marketing.

Beautiful day had no single released in the US. With a single it would have been a top ten hit easily maybe even number 1.

Vertigo again had no "hard copy" single which was the only thing that counted in 2004 which again would have propelled the song into the top 10.

And now we have Boots being split for no apparent reason. It has yet to be seen if this will hurt the chart position but it appears that it might.

For anyone who reads this and says "who cares what position they are on the charts as long as they make good music" please go to another page, this place is not for you.

"Beautiful Day" reached #21 on airplay alone. Had their been a CD single available, it probably would have cracked the top 20. But then, if the record companies are right, this may have hurt album sales a bit in the U.S. :shrug:

"Vertigo" was released in the iTunes era, but Billboard didn't count downloads when the song was released. As a result, it peaked in the low 30's on the charts. But this was a very popular song on iTunes and I definitely believe it would have been in the Top 10 if downloads counted. I base this on the fact that when Billboard finally did count downloads, "Vertigo" increased over 20 spots on the Hot 100 chart (from the 60's into the 40's). Sadly, this was near the end of the song's run. Had it been at the beginning, U2 would have had another hit.

GOYB was split because people could buy the album and get the song. Given the album's success on iTunes, I believe this accounts for the version of the song that charted higher. The song itself - just as a song - charted lower. And given that one could get the song for free from U2.com, it makes sense that there wasn't a massive iTunes rush for it. Based on what others have said about radio spins and the overall downloads, even if they aren't that impressive, I still think GOYB will be a Top 40 hit, with the outside chance of the song debuting in the Top 20 (too many factors present here to predict accurately). The longevity of the song depends next on U2. Promotion is needed in today's world, especially for a band of U2's age.

With or Without You
Desire
The Fly
Discothèque
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

You could actually get a good "1" album if you base number ones from:

UK Singles Chart
US Billboard Hot 100
US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks
US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks

1) With Or Without You
2) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3) Desire
4) Angel Of Harlem
5) The Fly
6) Mysterious Ways
7) One
8) Even Better Than The Real Thing
9) Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
10) Discotheque
11) Staring At The Sun
12) Beautiful Day
13) Vertigo
14) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Leav out LMC Vs U2 as that was NOT a U2 song and shouldnt be classified as a U2 hit in my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom