Nowww, Roger Federer is no longer number one in my books - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #16
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Rafa won't become number one next, he needs to reach the final in Toronto and then do better in Cinncinati than he did last year, which should be easy as he lost in the first round last time there. Plus Roger won't lose his points he gained last year from reaching the final of the Roger's cup for another 2 weeks, due to the schedule being changed this year. Players remember keep points gained from tourneys for 52 weeks.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Federer lost in third round of Cincinnati after getting a bye in the first round.

Fed has now lost 3 of his last 4 matches. He barely won the one he did win and that was thanks to an injury to his opponent. We could be witnessing the fastest fall from glory in sports history if doesn't get his head cleared.

Nadal takes no.1 with a victory in Cincy. I hope Fed can show the heart of champion and return to form but it looks like anyone can beat him now and not just Nadal. If he continues to play like this, he won't make the round of 16 in either the Olympics or New York.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post

I'm interested in seeing what he does at the Olympics.
Not much, if Paris and especially the devastating loss in Wimbledon are anything to go by. Nadal's been no. 1 since Wimbledon even if officialy the statistics still say otherwise, and at the level he's this year, he'll take Olympics unless some injury stops him.

This could be the beginning of the end for "greatest ever" IMO. He can't be better than he has been previous years, while Nadal can still improve (look at last few tournaments, he's even playing superbly on hard courts), at his age Federer only had 1 Wimbledon title and he has 4 Rolland Garros titles and Wimbledon. Nadal may be the one chasing all the records in the future.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Nadal may be the one chasing all the records in the future.
I really doubt it. Nadal's playing style will prevent him from playing a very long career. His body won't allow him to get close to the records.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't agree even with people predicting Nadal will be finished by the time he is 25, that is still 3 years of winning say at least 2 slams I think, that would give him another 6.

Plus I don't see Nadal getting injured anymore than any other player, and as he has stated before he is adjusting is playing style to shorten points to save energy and stamina for the second half of the season. Federer is a bit of a freak when it comes to not picking up injuries in his career.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think people aren't concerned with Nadal's fitness, it's his knees. Stops and starts are his style of play and on hard courts, it damages the knees. Clay and grass are more forgiving on joints and cartilage. He already has a history of knee problems.

Federer has been blessed with a style of game and tennis physique, which has enabled him to play for such a remarkable amount of time without injury.

I doubt Nadal will go on the kind of run Federer did over the past 4 years. Sampras took 9 years to win his first 12 Grand Slams while Federer did it in 4 years. Yeah, yeah, people whine about quality of competition and so on but regardless I doubt anyone will dominate the Grand Slams at this level for a while.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #22
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

He is prone to tendonitis...I do find it strange that the ATP favours hard courts which are known to be the most damaging to players, over grass or clay...especially grass which doesn't have a masters tournament.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:53 AM
federer...
Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

tsk,tsk,tsk

If he makes it into the round of 16 in NY, I will be amazed.

He is losing matches, he isn't be being beaten, he is beating himself. He could become the David Duval of tennis if he doesn't turn this around.

It is very sad to watch him struggle like this. I hate it.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevster2k View Post
He is losing matches, he isn't be being beaten, he is beating himself.

Agreed. He's always been a little bit of a head case, and he's in a major mental rut right now.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:53 AM
is he's still in the doubles?

Tags
roger federer