My GA experience. The list is tainted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth be told...the only difficult GA line I was in this tour.... was in Montreal. And for me that was a venue security issue who mismanaged the people who were waiting poorly.

MTL 2? That was the bad one for me. So I left :) Everything else in 2011 ran pretty smoothly, I thought.

The assumption that a single thread on a U2 fan board can do damage to the US GA system is IMO simply ridiculous.

Exactly! The ol' 80/20 rule. 20% of the people doing 80% of the bitching. Or in this case, it's more like .005% doing 99.9% of the complaining. Yes, it is maddening that some of this crap goes on but who cares??? Whether you are on the rail or 10 people back, once the show starts, does it matter? Do you really dwell on it? As those outside the U.S. have said, try being in their shoes! As others have said, imagine ticket prices if GA went to seating! Out of nine shows, this was my first U2 GA experience and the communal spirit of the people I was around made the experience all that much better. Being surrounded by others that shared my U2 obsession was soooo much better than being in the stands. I really saw no problem with the GA system. Heinz Field was very accommodating and their security along with U2's security was top notch.

Seeing McCartney for the first time next Thursday night, are his shows any good?

This desperation,
Separation,
Condemnation,
Revelation,
In temptation,
Isolation,
Desolation,
Isolation,
Let it go, aha...

And so fade away,
So let it go, aha,
And so fade, fade, fade away.
So let it go,
And so to fade away.

Exactly! The ol' 80/20 rule. 20% of the people doing 80% of the bitching. Or in this case, it's more like .005% doing 99.9% of the complaining. Yes, it is maddening that some of this crap goes on but who cares??? Whether you are on the rail or 10 people back, once the show starts, does it matter? Do you really dwell on it? As those outside the U.S. have said, try being in their shoes! As others have said, imagine ticket prices if GA went to seating! Out of nine shows, this was my first U2 GA experience and the communal spirit of the people I was around made the experience all that much better. Being surrounded by others that shared my U2 obsession was soooo much better than being in the stands. I really saw no problem with the GA system. Heinz Field was very accommodating and their security along with U2's security was top notch.

So let it go

:up:

it's not one thread. i'm sorry if i made anyone think that. it's a series of issues over the course of the tour. we are watched in line and online. if u disagree and think we aren't, fine. but the fact that u2 security now have someone staffed for this after years of us asking them to and it never happening before, says something. maybe the fan who punched another fan, the threads, the shouting at dave, the shouting at each other. it all adds up. one thread no....but it can be made worse by it. in the past security didn't have to worry about our safety in line with each other. now they do. things are changing.

if you're saying that you truly believe one person or action can't make a change for the better (or worse) ...than look at Bono, Africa, Red, One etc. Your voice is powerful. Each persons voice is, don't forget that is all I'm saying. :zen:

MTL 2? That was the bad one for me. So I left :) Everything else in 2011 ran pretty smoothly, I thought.

Ah...I didn't wait in line for MTL2....considering I had my wife and her two friends in tow, so I made other arrangements. But I heard about MTL 2.

it's not one thread. i'm sorry if i made anyone think that. it's a series of issues over the course of the tour. we are watched in line and online. if u disagree and think we aren't, fine. but the fact that u2 security now have someone staffed for this after years of us asking them to and it never happening before, says something. maybe the fan who punched another fan, the threads, the shouting at dave, the shouting at each other. it all adds up. one thread no....but it can be made worse by it. in the past security didn't have to worry about our safety in line with each other. now they do. things are changing.

if you're saying that you truly believe one person or action can't make a change for the better (or worse) ...than look at Bono, Africa, Red, One etc. Your voice is powerful. Each persons voice is, don't forget that is all I'm saying. :zen:

Fine, we're being watched, so what? People should be able to voice their opinion in here and if U2 security or any other entity happens to actually pay attention, and respond accordingly, more power to them.

One thing I will say in defense of the "paper dolls" on the rail, after waiting in line all day people need to go to the bathroom or get a drink before the next 2 hour wait. So if they are holding spots for folks making a quick trip, I have no issue with that.

Only time I was on a "list" was in Seattle 2011 and the line was run well enough there.

Raleigh I was about 300-400 back (got there at 12noon) and at that point no one was numbering...

I am in favor of a total lottery system like Springsteens. Might have to start it a little earlier and give out more wristbands than "a small pit" but lots of folks wouldn't need to line up if they knew the first 2000 folks were random order.

No, there's no excuse to go to the bathroom the second you get in the venue. This paper doll thing is people waiting for people later in the line.

No, there's no excuse to go to the bathroom the second you get in the venue. This paper doll thing is people waiting for people later in the line.

Agree on the "second you get in" part because it does look that way. I would encourage anyone in line with me to wait a little bit until it fills in a bit so people knew you were there.

Again no issues in Seattle. Anaheim shows I showed up at 5pm or so each night and got 2-4 people off outerrail in a decent spot. Night two was more crowded, but whatever. We kept good track of those in front of us, and I saw no major issues.

My standard line to everyone that is curious about GA, show up later, avoid the drama, and you can get close.

This thread makes me feel like this....

ia1V0.gif

When what I really wanna feel after the tour is like this :

http://inoyan.narod.ru/kaleidoskop.swf

Springsteen system: You get to the venue at X o'clock and are given a wrist band with a number on it. At around 4 or 5, can't remember when exactly, a fan is selected to draw a name out of a hat pretty much. Whatever number they draw out of the hat because #1 in line.

So if the number selected is #399 then #399 is now #1 in line, meaning #398 is now last in line.

Security lines everyone up correctly and then the first few hundred people are allowed in Bruce's (much smaller) pit.

Genius :up:

I don't know, I always have douchebag seats . . . :corn:

I had GA in Philly and Miami and no complaints.

Sure, I don't like how people 'check in' the night before and show up at like 3 pm the following day as '#25', but it's not the end of the world. We still got in, we still had nice spots, still enjoyed the concert, etc.

I'm sorry. But the people who start the list and make up the rules are Freaks!!!! U2 has no official list and those who sign in and follow their rules are fueling the fire. This is who gets what number, this is who gets rail tonight. Get a life. Get to the venue when you want, get in line, and hold your own spot. I went to 4 shows this leg, met Bono or Edge at 3 of the 4 shows, ran to GA got in line and got front rail in front of Adam each time. Amazing experiences and never waited out and NEVER put my name on an unofficial list. Got a good night sleep and a shower and had a great time!!!!

Not a lot of people have thought about the perspective of the band. If I were them, I would find it kind of creepy to see the same faces night after night. Kind of like when William Shatner did a Saturday Night Live skit years and years ago and said to the Trekkies at the Convention, "Get a life!" I think there is even a quote somewhere in U2 by U2 about them disliking seeing the same people night after night. Just sayin'.

bullitproof called it like he saw it. How can anyone object to that? if people don't want their behavior exposed, they should not behave that way.

And Interpol was very strong, which was a nice plus.

:down:

Wow. The existence of all of this sort of thing, both the systems and the really childish attitude (hence why they're getting treated like children) is all completely new to me.

‪U2 360 Denver - 5/21/11 General Admission stadium entry‬‏ - YouTube

My favourite part is the fretting over the wristbands. "Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!" - seriously.

And the couple of minutes from 9.15 on in this clip from the same gig. I don't know whether to feel extremely embarrassed for them, or just ashamed that I'm in some way a part of the same larger collective 'thing', or fanbase.

‪U2 Denver Pre-Show - Invesco Field, Colorado - May 21, 2011‬‏ - YouTube

:shocked: If I didn't recognise this was a U2 gig I'd think they were all trying to get into the lifeboats as the Titanic was sinking.

Not a lot of people have thought about the perspective of the band. If I were them, I would find it kind of creepy to see the same faces night after night. Kind of like when William Shatner did a Saturday Night Live skit years and years ago and said to the Trekkies at the Convention, "Get a life!" I think there is even a quote somewhere in U2 by U2 about them disliking seeing the same people night after night. Just sayin'.

Bono said:
We're filming the tour for the DVD in Boston. We have a row with our fans, right, because there's people on the road who are in the first row every night. There's like a caravan of them. We're saying, "Can we just play to, like, the people of the town we're in, instead of the one that's following us?" They organize a sitdown in the heart. We're filming. They sit down! You wouldn't do that while we're filming. I mean, we understand you make a protest but not while we're filming. So even our audience are rough.

Ah, but they will Bono.
Just give them what they want, and no one gets hurt...

Ah, but they will Bono.
Just give them what they want, and no one gets hurt...

Tracey, man....you don't think you are going about this the wrong way? You've just done this CSI investigation and you plop your proof and file folders open to "expose" everyone?

Honestly, dude. I met you in Chicago. You, your girl, myself. I can't even remember what number we were. You didn't have a good time hanging and talking with U2 fans that sunny day in Chicago (until we were moved inside?)

People make mistakes....people do things to their advantage.....but honestly dude, we are talking about a stadium tour here.....where there are minimum 60 000 fans coming into the venue to see U2. You were number 5!

I just don't see how opening this can of worms can do any good.

After Elevation for you, you come to two U2360 shows and leave behind this disaster trail with this thread.

Listen Mark, I reeealy enjoyed the shows. Hell in PITT I couldn't stop smiling.

I'm not bitter over it. Not at all.

All I am doing is explaining what I saw. That's it.

Sure I had a good time talking to fellow fans outside CHI. But it was also hard to digest the hatred people had for "the six".

I guess I am gullible. I want to defend U2 fans. I want to think they apply parts of the music in their lives. I want to think they fight for equality.

Sure. Blame me. I'm the one that caused all this. I looked at the FanCam again to see if I am blowing this out of proportion. Out of 60,000 people there is a definite trend happening on the front rail.

I have this innate ability to fight for what I think is fair. I have no sense when it comes to keeping my mouth shut. I know this.

You tell me... how should I have brought this to anyone's attention?

:doh:

Attachments

• deadhorse.png
    deadhorse.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 32
Quit while your ahead. You are nothing but a baiting troll. :wave:

I think it's very rude to call the original poster things like "asshole" or "troll" just because he was stating his opinion and that he doesn't agree with and doesn't approve of what he saw at U2 shows. I just think he might be overdoing it a little right now. This is getting ugly and it's a shame the whole debate is overshadowing the glorious end of U2's tour.

Is being in front of Bono and not seeing anything but his boot for 2 and a half hours really that important to some people?

Ok then. :ohmy:

What the hell have seats in GA got to do with it? 90% of people in GA are perfectly, you know, normal. They only turn up on the evening of the gig. They casually go for the best spot they can get. No big deal, just a gig. It's only an issue with the pit, and with what is overall surely only a very small % of fans. They don't have a problem with GA, they have a problem with a small amount of obsessive, desperate, 'entitled' fans - and a problem with them self managing it.

There really shouldn't even be people feeling they need to get there so early, let alone stupid lists days before, for fucks sake. There should be some sort of system there that means no-one has any need to be at the venue until only a few hours before, with a fair/formal system that favours everyone equally, regardless of who they're mates with or where they may or may not read online, or whether you've been to one show or one hundred. Surely management would hate hearing these stories. Surely the band hate seeing the same people up front every show. Surely the venues hate people getting there 24hrs or more beforehand, and then acting like twats. Pretty simple.

Yet again, it has fallen to Earnie Shavers to be the voice of sanity on Interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom