NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I don’t like the baseball-like unwritten rule that you shouldn’t offer-sheet a player. The system encourages/forces young players to stay put, and in exchange protects them from being truly lowballed.

What I was implying (poorly obviously) was that Aho wanted in excess of 9 million per which Carolina refused to pay.

I find it interesting that all of a sudden Montreal swoops in with an offer sheet of 8.45 which, yes I don't know how much Carolina was offering but seems to help them out of that situation because now they get to save face by matching the offer. This is probably me with my tinfoil hat on I just find it strange considering offer sheets are so rarely used.

I'm honestly pleased by that amount since it helps with the Marner talks on our end though.

Montreal offered that amount because it was the maximum they could offer before the offer sheet would have been 4 1st round picks... and 4 Montreal 1st round picks look fantastic in this coming half decade.

But again, you’re missing the fact that Aho didn’t have to accept the offer.

Well, the Isles will be returning to the Island and finally getting a suitable arena. Too bad they couldn't get it before JT left.

I would swear there was a new thread for 2019... No?

Anyways, we will FINALLY be attending a Blackhawks game this weekend, for the first time. I'm very excited. I've been to a Wolves game, once, so I kinda get a feel for where I want to sit, but I don't suppose anyone has any insight for where to sit at the Staples Center?

11. We're getting ready for her first birthday party :eek:

Oh even younger than I recalled. How did she handle being at the game? (looks in the pics she enjoyed herself, but the game I'm sure was longer than her attention span at that age).
First thing not specifically aimed at little ones we took my son to was Cirque Du Solei when he was about 18 months. Sat him on my lap (in the front row) and he bopped Godzilla along to the music, and seemed fairly interested in what was going on onstage. We were a little unsure if he'd make it through the whole show but he did fine.

Oh even younger than I recalled. How did she handle being at the game? (looks in the pics she enjoyed herself, but the game I'm sure was longer than her attention span at that age).
First thing not specifically aimed at little ones we took my son to was Cirque Du Solei when he was about 18 months. Sat him on my lap (in the front row) and he bopped Godzilla along to the music, and seemed fairly interested in what was going on onstage. We were a little unsure if he'd make it through the whole show but he did fine.

I took her to a baseball game over the summer and she absolutely loved it and the attention she got. This was a little more difficult, but it was way past her bedtime. She was done by the third period, but she soldiered through.

The Blackhawks seemed to have removed their heads from their asses. 3-0-1 over their last four, all against good competition, and they had a great win tonight in a place they've never won before.

Their puck control is still bad but they put up some very high quality chances tonight to make up for it and the Lehner/Crawford tandem just keeps rolling.

Last edited:
I like Alain Vigneault so far. Not as much of a fan of Chuck Fletcher, who overpaid for Kevin Hayes in free agency and Matt Niskanen and Justin Braun via trades, but he's not been terrible. The key questions for the Flyers coming up will be:

1. Do they look to trade Jake Voracek? He's productive, but overpaid, and their financial situation demands more middle-six minutes go to cheaper, younger players at this point. One alternative would be holding on to him in hopes that Seattle takes him in the expansion draft since he has an NMC, but that's a risk at his salary and with two more years gone by.

2. Is Nolan Patrick done? He's had concussions, now he has migraines, and his status is essentially "out indefinitely" and has been for months. There's no timetable for his return, they've got investments in two centers already with Hayes and Sean Couturier, and top prospect Morgan Frost will be banging on the door for the 3C spot by early 2020. They'll be patient with a former second-overall pick, but head injuries are nasty business, and they can't wait around for him forever. It's not like he exactly blew the doors off in his first couple of seasons.

3, Can Shayne Gostisbehere get his game back? They're burying him on the third pairing with Braun right now, and he's a shell of his former self. He was great in his rookie season and his third year, and had mixed results in years two and four. He hasn't improved in his fifth season, and it's becoming concerning. There's not a particular rush to make a move, as their top D prospect Phil Myers is already in the NHL, but this is a guy who should anchor a second pairing and the point on PP1.

Carter Hart should see an overall positive season with ups-and-downs due to his youth. Giroux will be solid, albeit slightly hindered by playing more center than left wing while Patrick and Scott Laughton are out. Travis Konecny and Oskar Lindblom look like two top-six wingers they can rely on for a long time. The pieces are starting to fall into place a bit. But you can only carry an overpay or two at a time, and they run the risk of having three at once with Voracek, Hayes, and James van Riemsdyk.

Don Cherry getting fired for saying something ignorant on Coaches Corner is about as surprising as the sun rising this morning. I'm only really surprised it took this long.

Also unsurprising is the Leafs underperforming so far this season :down:

the leafs aren't making the playoffs unless this coaching change did something radical. the panelists on sportscentre laid it out on the weekend. it took 93 points to finish 8th and make the playoffs last year in the eastern conference. if that same number of points is required this year, the leafs will need to play something like .640 hockey for the entire rest of the season (and this was before they lost on tuesday), but since last christmas they've been just barely over .500.

it could happen, but it'll be very tough and only if this new coach is as good as people are saying he has the potential to be. not sending the fourth line out every single time your team scores might be a start.

the leafs aren't making the playoffs.

They are currently sitting in the third spot in the Atlantic.

I am not sure how it played out last year, but for YEARS, the standings at US Thanksgiving has been a fairly good indication of what you will have in mid-April.

Not sure if that will hold up at this point seeing the parity in the league, but wanted to put it out there.

a decade or more ago and you'd likely be right, but zero chance a leafs parade now would draw more people than the raptors parade. people were flying in from all across the country to watch the raptors parade because they're "canada's team". you're not going to have planeloads of people coming from montreal and ottawa and calgary and vancouver to celebrate the toronto maple leafs winning.

Back
Top Bottom