NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm at a hockey game!

hqdefault.jpg

So I haven't posted in here much mostly because I'm way too superstitious and I don't want to jinx them but the Leafs are good.

Like, really good. Other than an upgrade on defence they are pretty much set at every position.

I'm equal parts happy and worried something is going to go horribly wrong.

The flyers shouldn't be in the playoffs, no offense Peef, but I am irritated by the stupid NHL points system once again. And by the even more stupid tie-breaking rules.

Why does a team get 1 point for losing in overtime or the shootout? In soccer, teams get penalized for tying. 3 points turns into 2, and they're split. In hockey, teams get rewarded for tying. 2 points turns into 3.

I get irritated seeing teams like the Flyers, who lost 14 times in overtime, be considered above the three closely ranked teams. Bottom line: when you walk out of the building a loser, you don't deserve credit. You also don't deserve credit if neither team was able to break a tie by the end of regulation. You deserve to be penalized in the points category.

The same shit happened in the West, to a lesser extent. 38-loss St. Louis was edged out of the playoffs by 39-loss Colorado, who possessed less wins but managed to lose three more games past regulation.

And for the love of all things hockey, do away with that stupid ROW tiebreaker. The notion that winning in 3 on 3 OT is somehow so much more commendable than winning in the shootout is lame. ROW, as opposed to "real winning percentage," as a tiebreaker, allows under-.500 teams to be placed ahead in tiebreakers. Example: a team went 40-20-22, but all 40 wins were in regulation or overtime. They're supposedly superior to a 50-30-2 team that won 11 games in a shootout. Yet they literally lost 10 more games and didn't even have a true .500 record.

/rant

NSH 4 - 2 COL
WPG 4 - 3 MIN
VGK 4 - 1 LAK
ANA 3 - 4 SJ

TBL 4 - 3 NJD
BOS 3 - 4 TOR
WAS 4 - 2 CBJ
PIT 2 - 4 PHI

NSH 4 - 1 WPG
VGK 2 - 4 SJ

TBL 4 - 2 TOR
WAS 4 - 3 PHI

NSH 4 - 0 SJ
TBL 4 - 2 WAS

NSH 2 - 4 TBL

cfl

Sharks 6
Kings 6
Jets 5
Predators 4

Penguins 5
Capitals 6
Bruins 7
Lightning 4

Predators 6
Kings 7

Lightning 5
Capitals 7 < I'll never learn

Predators 5
Lightning 6

Lightning 6

Dave and I are virtually in agreement.

The flyers shouldn't be in the playoffs, no offense Peef, but I am irritated by the stupid NHL points system once again. And by the even more stupid tie-breaking rules.

Why does a team get 1 point for losing in overtime or the shootout? In soccer, teams get penalized for tying. 3 points turns into 2, and they're split. In hockey, teams get rewarded for tying. 2 points turns into 3.

I get irritated seeing teams like the Flyers, who lost 14 times in overtime, be considered above the three closely ranked teams. Bottom line: when you walk out of the building a loser, you don't deserve credit. You also don't deserve credit if neither team was able to break a tie by the end of regulation. You deserve to be penalized in the points category.

The same shit happened in the West, to a lesser extent. 38-loss St. Louis was edged out of the playoffs by 39-loss Colorado, who possessed less wins but managed to lose three more games past regulation.

And for the love of all things hockey, do away with that stupid ROW tiebreaker. The notion that winning in 3 on 3 OT is somehow so much more commendable than winning in the shootout is lame. ROW, as opposed to "real winning percentage," as a tiebreaker, allows under-.500 teams to be placed ahead in tiebreakers. Example: a team went 40-20-22, but all 40 wins were in regulation or overtime. They're supposedly superior to a 50-30-2 team that won 11 games in a shootout. Yet they literally lost 10 more games and didn't even have a true .500 record.

/rant
Oh, I'm not offended at all, they blow.

I generally agree with your broader point, but will say it's not the shootout loser point that bothers me so much as the shootout existing at all. Maybe I'm just biased because the Flyers are multiple standard deviations worse than the 30th best all-time team in shootouts, though.

I am terrified that the Flyers are going to bring Dave Hakstol back.

What continues to astound me about the Flyers is they need a goalie, they have needed a goalie as long as I can remember. Everybody knows this - they know this. How hard is it to find a goalie?

I mean, the Leafs have had some shitty goalies over the years but there have been some good ones as well, you would think the Flyers could find somebody by now...

What continues to astound me about the Flyers is they need a goalie, they have needed a goalie as long as I can remember. Everybody knows this - they know this. How hard is it to find a goalie?

I mean, the Leafs have had some shitty goalies over the years but there have been some good ones as well, you would think the Flyers could find somebody by now...
Rookie Sergei Bobrovsky had a bad series in 2011 so Ed Snider demanded they sign Ilya Bryzgalov. That fucked them for 7 years. The good news is that they have a top prospect in Carter Hart ... but he'll get there too late for Giroux's prime, and they'll probably mire in mediocrity endlessly.

this divisional playoff format really fucking sucks. it sounds good in theory (more divisional rivalry series) but it screwed the leafs hard. a 4 seed should not be playing four away games versus a 2 seed in the first round. they would have drawn pittsburgh but had the home ice advantage in the series and i think they had a better shot of beating the pens than the bruins.

but gary bettman gets those sweet capitals vs penguins tv ratings every year this way so it's not changing any time soon.

none of this is trying to make excuses for that pathetic 3rd period in game 7. the real team got a one goal lead and then they sent those scrubs who played games 1 and 2 out for the third.

Last edited:
Indeed, RIP Bill. Two South Florida greats go back to back. I know he was yours first, but made the Panthers relevant from day 1 as an expansion team. When retired as GM it was all downhill from there. True legend.

Back
Top Bottom