National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No surprise. Only surprise was that it wasn't right away.

As for Clarkson, sorry but next to DiPietro that's gotta be the worst contract the NHL has ever seen.or... recently.

:doh:

It's not even the amount that bothers me but that term is just insane.

I'm expecting he'll have a bounce-back this coming season, I don't expect another 30 goal year out of him but I do expect him to be more productive.

He's a third line player who got top line money. Blows my mind that his contract actually goes over 7 million at the middle. 7 million is for players of elite caliber. It'd be less ugly even on the same terms but distributed evenly.

Still on the East Coast? I'm here, too.

Nope, living in Toronto now, since February. Missing the ocean this time of year though.

Whenever I hear Umberger's name I immediately think of the look on his face right after he got lambasted by Brian Campbell a few years back. They played the highlight over and over on SportsCentre for a week and this blankest of stares is now burned into my brain:

umberger.jpg

Yeah that was probably the point where my reaction to huge open-ice hits went from "woah that was amazing" to "woah that was awful". It was a total shift in outlook for me.

I remember the Scott Stevens hit on Eric Lindros and how "great" of a hit it was. The fact that he was out cold was just the cherry on top. These days Lindros would have been stretchered off and Stevens would have gotten an instant suspension. Lindros getting stripped of the C for stating that he shouldn't have been forced to continue playing with a concussion would never happen today either (at least I hope not).

Man, the Lindros brothers. What a sad story.

It really looks like Toews and Kane could cripple the Hawks if they get what they're asking for.

From the sounds of it, they'll get at least 10, which will leave 9 mil under the cap to sign 12 more players.

Are the Hawks committed to re-signing both?

A Phaneuf (plus more) for Toews deal, or even just a straight up FA signing, might work out OK for the Leafs :hmm:

The cap is expected to keep rising. While those contracts are big, I wouldn't be surprised if that became the going rate for their skill/age in the future.

Basically, I imagine that the Hawks are no worse off than they've always been -- in cap hell. But also with a freakish farm system that always seems to generate talent.

Rumor briefly had it they were gonna dump Patrick Sharp. Would be wise. Hard guy to replace, but Jeremy Morin looks explosive. Would be a long term solution for them, rather than a Patrick Sharp who peaked and they can unload for lots and lots of picks and prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Patrick Sharp is on the block.

Remember, the cap - which is tied to league revenues - is expected to keep rising, possibly north of $80 million in a couple of years. As a percentage of that cap, $12 million per isn't so bad. Consider that when Steven Stamkos' deal is up at the end of the 2015-16 season, he'll likely command about $15 million.

Of course, none of this matters, necessarily, this season.

But I'll be heart-broken if Sharp goes. The city loves him, for one thing. He even has his own little call-in on my favorite morning radio show called Sharp Attack. How can you get rid of something like that?

Patrick Sharp is on the block.

Remember, the cap - which is tied to league revenues - is expected to keep rising, possibly north of $80 million in a couple of years. As a percentage of that cap, $12 million per isn't so bad. Consider that when Steven Stamkos' deal is up at the end of the 2015-16 season, he'll likely command about $15 million.

I don't know if this was a response to my post or...

Morin is promising and I'm also a big fan of Ben Smith. He was clutch for us in the playoffs. Obviously we need to break the bank for Kane and Toews when Sharp can still be dealt. It's just disappointing to see such a powerhouse broken up after following it closely for the past few years.

Last edited:
Morin is promising and I'm also a big fan of Ben Smith. He was clutch for us in the playoffs. Obviously we need to break the bank for Kane and Toews when Sharp can still be dealt. It's just disappointing to see such a powerhouse broken up after following it closely for the past few years.

Much like Chicago's trading Brandon Pirri, I promise you Jeremy Morin is NHL ready now. My money has it Morin is ready to start pumping out 20-30 goals after he has a season under his belt.

Back
Top Bottom