National Hockey League 2013-14 season - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Trust me, we all hate Clemmensen down here.

I'm not so sure I know what you mean about Markstrom. He's one of the top touted prospects in hockey. He dominated in Sweden. He dominated in the AHL. He's been iffy but practically had an AHL offense and defense in front of him last year... he's got the size and the tools... this will be his second season in the NHL at a very young age. There's no reason to question him, and no reason to assume a 40 year old goalie on a 1 year contract on a team that doesn't look playoff worthy is going to be taking games away from a blue chip goalie prospect.

Thomas was brought in because we all know Clemmensen is a joke, and he will have great turn value at the deadline.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Seriously though, he's 23. He got a shortened season last year for a rookie campaign. Otherwise, dominance. A 6'7" 200 lb goalie who has a positive track record. I'm not quite sure why there's any question here...

Old 09-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

The way I see it, Markstrom is young and stepped in too early (not his fault, due to circumstances). He also had the misfortune of playing on what is essentially a shit team. But aside from all that, he was inconsistent and he let in too many goals at the start of the game, or the first period generally.

I don't think we can simply point to age - Holtby is similarly 23 but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think him to be a far superior goalie, at his age than Markstrom. Yes, there are other intangibles like the teams they play on, etc.

Basically, Markstrom could be very good at some point but to describe him as "dominant" now is out of left field IMO.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The way I see it, Markstrom is young and stepped in too early (not his fault, due to circumstances). He also had the misfortune of playing on what is essentially a shit team. But aside from all that, he was inconsistent and he let in too many goals at the start of the game, or the first period generally.

I don't think we can simply point to age - Holtby is similarly 23 but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think him to be a far superior goalie, at his age than Markstrom. Yes, there are other intangibles like the teams they play on, etc.

Basically, Markstrom could be very good at some point but to describe him as "dominant" now is out of left field IMO.
Too early? Markstrom no longer needed to be in the SEL. He no longer needed to be in the AHL. When, exactly, do you suggest he started playing too early? Let's be clear here... he has one 'season' under his belt. If that. 23 games, IIRC. Aside from that he's had stray games due to Theo/Clemmer injuries in the past. He was going to be held down in the AHL last season over the team not wanting to pay three goalies previous to Theo's season ending surgery. I guarantee you that.

Braden Holtby, far superior? Seriously? What, did you just compare GAA and call it a day? Holtby settled nicely into his team's system. He's a good goalie, and if anything they're at the same level right now.

Your impression of his inconsistency is totally unfair given the fact that he likely hasn't even completed rookie requirements. Of course his numbers will look erratic. He hardly played. And when he did he had two to three rookie defenders in front of him. And an injured Gudbranson.

I never described him as dominant in the NHL. Don't make assumptions and don't put words into my mouth. You take Braden Holtby and get back to me in the future, we will see how that turns out. And yeah, even get back to me at the end of the season and assuming this team is not a playoff team and Markstrom/Thomas are healthy, regardless of numbers, I can guarantee you that Markstrom will have played more than Tim Thomas.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Let's be clear here... he has one 'season' under his belt. If that. 23 games, IIRC.
Um, that's exactly my point. That we can't possibly know that he is going to be a "goalie of the future" as you claim. I have no idea what that is based on, certainly he was not exemplary in the two dozen or so games he played.

And you said that

Quote:
He got a shortened season last year for a rookie campaign. Otherwise, dominance.
and then you accuse me of putting the word "dominant" in your mouth.

OK. Dude, take a chill pill honestly.

I don't care who plays for Florida, they're one of the worst teams in the league. I'd like Thomas to get some playing time so that I can inflate his value in my fantasy hockey team, otherwise I DON'T CARE.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Um, that's exactly my point. That we can't possibly know that he is going to be a "goalie of the future" as you claim. I have no idea what that is based on, certainly he was not exemplary in the two dozen or so games he played.
That's based upon numerous scouting reports, prospect rankings, etc. etc. it's well understood that Markstrom is a top-10 prospect in hockey and expected to be a perennial talent.

Quote:
And you said that

and then you accuse me of putting the word "dominant" in your mouth.
Aside from a rookie campaign where else could he be dominant other than not in the NHL?

Quote:
OK. Dude, take a chill pill honestly.

I don't care who plays for Florida, they're one of the worst teams in the league. I'd like Thomas to get some playing time so that I can inflate his value in my fantasy hockey team, otherwise I DON'T CARE.
Hah, tell me to take a chill pill. Look at yourself. I was initially just telling you the fact with Florida. The net is centered around Markstrom. He is the future. Thomas is only there for filling in a void and for having flip value on a 1 year contract. I'm just letting you know. He will see probably 30-40 starts assuming both Thomas and Markstrom are healthy and everything goes to plan.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

The Florida Panthers have been sold.

Details and announcements on the way. Owner is said to be Nets minority owner Vince Viola. Change in ownership also the reason why so many players were able to be brought in on PTOs, according to coach Dineen.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn he can buy while he's at it.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

While we're talking about ownership changes, it should be noted the hilariousness of the Sixers buying the Devils. There's no bigger divide in Philadelphia sports fandom than between Sixers and Flyers fans, and Flyers fans lost their shit.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Franson resigns for 2 million, now they just have to figgure out how to fit him under the cap...

Anyone want John Michael Liles?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Looks like Kessel is getting paid. 8 years x $8 million...

I am mostly ok with this given the alternatives.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Does anyone want Andrej Meszaros?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Enjoy the giant pylon that is Hal Gill.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I hope is a healthy scratch for all of eternity, right along with Jay Rosehill.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Filip Kuba is the ultimate pylon. Even the frugal Panthers were willing to buy his ass out.