National Hockey League 2009 - 2010 - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #631
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
A couple of observations about the NHL Draft and free agency so far:

1. Boston can suck it. Seriously, take Tyler Seguin, I really don't care. I wish that the Toronto media would give it a fucking rest already. I wasn't all that pleased with the trade in the first place but what is done is done. Can we please stop talking about it now?

2. Kovulchuck needs to make up his fucking mind already and sign with someone stupid enough to pay him. Seriously, dude is holding up a lot of other possible trades, just pick LA or NJ and get your $100 million over the next 15 or 17 years or whatever. It blows my mind that this greedy little fool will be making more than Ovechkin or Crosby after this...

3. I'm actually pretty pleased with where the Leafs are at this point. We are lacking in the top 6 but defensively and in goal we are looking good. If Burke can work some magic trading Kaberle for a top 6 forward we actually could compete for a playoff spot this season.

4. The Calgary Flames are fucked. Seriously, what is Sutter smoking over there? Jokinen and Tanguay are your big moves? Good luck with that...
1. You guys got Burke'd, son!

2. He should be an Islander. We'll take him.

3. I'll agree with you just cause I don't have anything to say.

4. LOLLLOOOLOLOLLLOLOL. What a douche. And how about the Rangers drafting a "fighter" in the 1st round while Fowlder and Gormley were still available. And then signing Boogaard for 4 years @ 1.65M per. HAHAHA. Sather vs Sutter for GM Douche Award. Dopes.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #632

see above

Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #633
Blue Crack Supplier

lol, I wasn't really paying attention to the draft for obvious reasons but yeah, that seems like a dumb move.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #634
Acrobat

Quote:
A couple of observations about the NHL Draft and free agency so far:

3. I'm actually pretty pleased with where the Leafs are at this point. We are lacking in the top 6 but defensively and in goal we are looking good. If Burke can work some magic trading Kaberle for a top 6 forward we actually could compete for a playoff spot this season.
You guys will just LOVE Lebda
I'll be interested to see how long it takes for Leafs fans to want to rip his head off.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #635
Blue Crack Supplier

the way I look at it is

a. It's hard to look good next to Lindstrom and Rafalski, so even if he's average we'll be okay.

b. We have a pretty deep D as it is so he'll probably be on the third line and not see a lot of action anyhow.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #636

Quote:
We have a pretty deep D
L to O to LOLOLLOLOLOLLLOLO.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #637
Blue Crack Supplier

YouTube - Dion Phaneuf hits Kyle Okposo and Phaneuf vs. Morency

see you on October 18th
Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #638
Acrobat

Quote:
the way I look at it is

a. It's hard to look good next to Lindstrom and Rafalski, so even if he's average we'll be okay.

b. We have a pretty deep D as it is so he'll probably be on the third line and not see a lot of action anyhow.
he didn't play with Lidstrom or Rafalski too much.
It was usually Lebda/Ericsson or Lebda/Lilja (that pairing was great for us during the 2008 playoffs). At times you would see him with Kronwall or Stuart.
Never really got any Power Play time in Detroit either, but that wasn't his fault. Although, I'd would have rather of seen Lebda on the 2nd PP unit over Jason fucking Williams any day!

He has a habit of pinching at the wrong time, taking really stupid penalties, and just bad turn overs. When he was on the ice and a penalty was called, it was almost always on him! Usually hooking or holding.

Then he'd have the nights where he played really well. His best play for Detroit came during the 2008 playoffs. He needs to be paired with a stay-at-home guy though.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #639
Blue Crack Supplier

sounds like he'll make a good Leaf
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #640

Quote:
Phaneuf = pussy.

That was low. Why not just post the Darcy Tucker hit on Peca next?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #641
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Remember when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup? Holy shit, that was cool.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #642
Blue Crack Supplier

yeah, good luck doing that again this year....
Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #643
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:05 PM
We'll try. As hard as we can. But it would only be the topping. Because we've already felt what it's like. And it's fucking beautiful.

I hope you can feel it someday, elfa.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #644
Blue Crack Supplier

Boom goes the dynamite:

Quote:
FREE AGENT KOVALCHUK DECIDES TO STAY IN NEW JERSEY

NEWARK, N.J. -- Unlike the NBA's LeBron James, the biggest prize on the NHL free agent market isn't moving.

Ilya Kovalchuk is staying with the New Jersey Devils.

Kovalchuk's agent and the team announced on Monday that the high-scoring left-wing has agreed to a multi-year contract, ending weeks of speculation where the league's leading goal scorer since 2001 would be skating next season.

Several reports pegged the deal at 17 years and around US$100 million.

"This was a long arduous process that has taken frankly a little longer than I thought," agent Jay Grossman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "But you know what, nothing is worth anything unless you work for it. I can tell you he is very happy to be with the New Jersey Devils."

The Los Angeles Kings, New York Islanders, Devils and SKA St. Petersburg of Russia's Kontinental Hockey League talked with Kovalchuk after free agency started on July 1.

The final decision came down to the Kings and the three-time Stanley Cup champion Devils, who haven't won a title since 2003.

Grossman refused to say that Kovalchuk decided to stay because he felt the Devils had a better chance to win the Cup again.

"This was so far complex that I don't want to get into those questions," Grossman said. "Obviously his goal is to win the Stanley Cup. If he didn't think there was an opportunity to do that, then he would not have gone there."

Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello, coach John MacLean, and star forward Zach Parise didn't immediately return telephone messages seeking comment.

James disappointed Cleveland Cavaliers' fans earlier this month when he signed with the Miami Heat for a chance to chase an NBA title with Dwyane Wade and former Toronto Raptors forward Chris Bosh.

The Devils' only major loss in free agency was defenceman Paul Martin, who went to the Atlantic Division-rival Pittsburgh Penguins.

The 27-year-old Kovalchuk was traded to the Devils by Atlanta in February after rejecting a 12-year, US $101 million extension offered by the Thrashers.

Kovalchuk had 41 goals and 44 assists last season when he earned $7.5 million. He posted only 10 goals and 17 assists with the Devils.

When the trade with the Thrashers was completed, Lamoriello believed his team finally had the goal scorer it needed to make a run at a fourth Cup championship in 15 seasons.

It didn't work out that way. Kovalchuk had two goals in the post-season when the Devils were eliminated by the Philadelphia Flyers in five games in the opening round. It was New Jersey's third straight exit in the first round.

The Devils have been very active since the playoffs ended. MacLean was named to replace Jacques Lemaire, who retired. The team reacquired veteran centre Jason Arnott in a trade and signed defencemen Henrik Tallinder and Anton Volchenkov and goaltender Johan Hedberg in free agency.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 NHL draft, Kovalchuk has scored 338 career goals -- the most in the NHL in that period. He has only been to the playoffs twice in eight NHL seasons, winning only one game.

Kovalchuk was acquired from the Thrashers along with defenceman Anssi Salmela for forward Niclas Bergfors, defenceman Johnny Oduya, prospect Patrice Cormier, a first-rounder and a swap of second-round picks.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #645
Blue Crack Supplier

And the fallout begins:

Quote:
FLYERS TRADE FORWARD GAGNE TO LIGHTNING FOR WALKER, 2011 PICK

The Philadelphia Flyers have traded forward Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning for defenceman Matt Walker and a fourth-round draft pick in 2011.

Gagne, a 30-year-old native of Quebec and a career Flyer, had reportedly agreed to waive his no-trade clause earlier in July.

Gagne, a four-time 30-goal scorer, will make $5.25 million this season, the last year remaining on his current contract.

The addition of Gagne continues the rebuilding effort in Tampa by new general manager Steve Yzerman.

Yzerman, who was hired by the Lightning at the end of May, has already signed Martin St. Louis to a four-year extension, inked free agent goaltender Dan Ellis and re-signed defenceman Pavel Kubina.

The Gagne deal marks the second trade Yzerman has made with the Flyers, after he sent defenceman Andrej Meszaros and his large contract to Philadelphia for a draft pick on July 1.

In the 2009-10 season, Gagne had 17 goals and 23 assists in 58 games, missing the other 24 games with a sports hernia. He returned in time for the post-season, adding nine goals and three assists in 19 playoff appearances.

He was selected 22nd overall by the Flyers in the first round of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.

In 664 career regular season games with the Flyers, Gagne had 259 goals and 265 assists. His best season came after the lockout in 2005-06, when he registered 47 goals and 32 assists.

Tags
hockey, nhl