College Basketball 2010-2011 - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #361
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,890
Local Time: 09:50 AM
My bracket is busted. Picking Notre Dame as the champion seemed like a great idea at the time.

My original champion was Pitt. I know nothing about sports.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #362
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,385
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Hey, I picked Syracuse. That turned out well.

But then again, I know nothing about college basketball or the majority of the teams/divisions. Only 2 of my final 4 remain.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #363
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,890
Local Time: 09:50 AM
I went Big East heavy, which was a mistake. The refs don't let that physicality get through in the tournament the way they do in those conference games, and it's too difficult to adjust the entire style of your team in one weekend.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #364
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 09:50 AM
That is a problem...

Overall I think all major conference teams are overrated. The ACC got two teams in, and you would think hey, maybe they were underrated! Virginia Tech probably should have gotten in!

And then you go and see what VaTech did in the NIT and, oh yea, they lost in the first round to wichita state.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
That is a problem...

Overall I think all major conference teams are overrated. The ACC got two teams in, and you would think hey, maybe they were underrated! Virginia Tech probably should have gotten in!

And then you go and see what VaTech did in the NIT and, oh yea, they lost in the first round to wichita state.
It was worse back when the Big East went to 6 fouls, remember that? Guys were writing out their wills before they went in the paint against Georgetown.

VaTech kind of got screwed 2 years in a row (in their eye at least), I didn't see thier NIT game but I'm not sure their heart was in it.

And clearly VCU didn't deserve to get in...
__________________
CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #366
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 09:50 AM
the problem is the way colleges recruit kids is fundamentally flawed. our entire grassroots system stinks. kids today have more individual and athletic skill and ability than ever before... problem is very few actually know how to use that in a team setting because they've been brought up in a culture where AAU is more important than school ball.

but those are the kids who get "ranked" and rated... and colleges are sooooo stoked on being able to say that they had a great recruiting class, based on the number of ranked players they get, and they completely miss out on kids who actually know how to play. these kids go to the mid-majors and below.

so it plays out pretty much like this... the elite basketball powerhouses get the best of the best... the no-brainer, i don't need to scout this kid 80 times to tell how good he is kids. they always have, they always will. these are the kids who are ranked 1 & 2 in their class. they almost always go to a select group of 7 or 8 schools. the occasional kid will stay close to home (your blake griffins), but the majority go to the same old powerhouses... duke, carolina, kansas, uconn, michigan state, florida, ucla and where ever john calipari is handing out bags of money.

then you have the rest of the power conference teams fighting over the rest of the "top 100" ranked kids... how some of these kids got on the list, i have no idea. but if you're on the list, someone will recruit you. if you're not, nobody will. these are your "other" teams in the power/BCS conference schools.

then you have the mid-majors. the smart schools recruit to fit their style, and hope that they'll get a steal here and there from a local kid who goes under recruited for whatever reason. if they do a good enough job recruiting, building and developing, they can eventually move their program into that gray area between the high-mid-major and the power conference teams... where they still can't get the cream of the crop kids that the unc's and duke's of the world stockpile, but they can certainly steal kids away from the next level of kids that would normally only consider the power conference schools. these are your butlers, gonzagas, xaviers, etc.

the stupid mid-major schools throw shit a the wall and hope it sticks, grab flash in the pan kids who had a nice run at the peach jam or iS8 and hope he turns into a stud. they usually just blow. see fordham.

so now you look at the tournament field of 16, and who do we have left?
Ohio State, Kentucky, Marquette, UNC, Duke, Arizona, UConn, San Diego State, Kansas, Richmond, VCU, FSU, Butler, Wisconsin, BYU, Florida.

we've got 6 of the elite programs still alive & 5 mid-majors.

the other 5... ohio state, marquette, arizona, florida state, wisconsin... ohio state is nearing that elite status thanks to a nice run of success over the past 10 years combined with oodles and oodles of money for their athletic department... arizona used to be one of the elite schools when lute olsen was there and still have a good rep... florida state has a ton of cash... wisconsin has a terrific coach who gets a lot out of a little... marquette's built themselves up a nice rep since they had diane wade.


but the 5 mid-major schools... butler, byu, san diego state, richmond, vcu... all programs loaded with under recruited kids. jimmer is the poster child for the under recruited. not a single big east school seriously recruited him. syracuse had a small flirting with him, but that's it. nobody else even said hello. he just wasn't athletic enough to play at that level. he'd make a nice low major player, but in reality he's probably a high D3 player. bullshit... i saw that kid play. he could flat fill it up from anywhere on the court.

there's a kid who was a senior at holy cross high school in the queens this year who was at the top of the city catholic league in scoring, first team all conference, can flat fill it up. not one single offer from any of the top area schools. nada. zilch. hofstra hasn't even offered him. apparently he can't play at that level. put up huge numbers against the kids who were recruited, but he can't play. he's not "athletic" or "long" enough.

pisses me off.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #367
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Overall I think all major conference teams are overrated. The ACC got two teams in, and you would think hey, maybe they were underrated! Virginia Tech probably should have gotten in!

.
ACC got 4 in...Duke, UNC, FSU and Clemson. 3 are still standing.
__________________
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #368
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 09:50 AM
i meant 2 left... which i still got wrong anyways cause i forgot about florida state.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #369
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 09:50 AM
So much for the Big East having a great year...
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #370
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:50 AM
The Big East is its own worst enemy, the teams beat the sh*t out of each other thru February and into the Big East tourney, and it hurts them in the NCAA tourney.
__________________
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #371
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 09:50 AM
i really think it's time to split the conference in half. i thought it was time to split the conference in half like 3 years ago. but yea.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #372
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,890
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
the problem is the way colleges recruit kids is fundamentally flawed. our entire grassroots system stinks. kids today have more individual and athletic skill and ability than ever before... problem is very few actually know how to use that in a team setting because they've been brought up in a culture where AAU is more important than school ball.

but those are the kids who get "ranked" and rated... and colleges are sooooo stoked on being able to say that they had a great recruiting class, based on the number of ranked players they get, and they completely miss out on kids who actually know how to play. these kids go to the mid-majors and below.

so it plays out pretty much like this... the elite basketball powerhouses get the best of the best... the no-brainer, i don't need to scout this kid 80 times to tell how good he is kids. they always have, they always will. these are the kids who are ranked 1 & 2 in their class. they almost always go to a select group of 7 or 8 schools. the occasional kid will stay close to home (your blake griffins), but the majority go to the same old powerhouses... duke, carolina, kansas, uconn, michigan state, florida, ucla and where ever john calipari is handing out bags of money.

then you have the rest of the power conference teams fighting over the rest of the "top 100" ranked kids... how some of these kids got on the list, i have no idea. but if you're on the list, someone will recruit you. if you're not, nobody will. these are your "other" teams in the power/BCS conference schools.

then you have the mid-majors. the smart schools recruit to fit their style, and hope that they'll get a steal here and there from a local kid who goes under recruited for whatever reason. if they do a good enough job recruiting, building and developing, they can eventually move their program into that gray area between the high-mid-major and the power conference teams... where they still can't get the cream of the crop kids that the unc's and duke's of the world stockpile, but they can certainly steal kids away from the next level of kids that would normally only consider the power conference schools. these are your butlers, gonzagas, xaviers, etc.

the stupid mid-major schools throw shit a the wall and hope it sticks, grab flash in the pan kids who had a nice run at the peach jam or iS8 and hope he turns into a stud. they usually just blow. see fordham.

so now you look at the tournament field of 16, and who do we have left?
Ohio State, Kentucky, Marquette, UNC, Duke, Arizona, UConn, San Diego State, Kansas, Richmond, VCU, FSU, Butler, Wisconsin, BYU, Florida.

we've got 6 of the elite programs still alive & 5 mid-majors.

the other 5... ohio state, marquette, arizona, florida state, wisconsin... ohio state is nearing that elite status thanks to a nice run of success over the past 10 years combined with oodles and oodles of money for their athletic department... arizona used to be one of the elite schools when lute olsen was there and still have a good rep... florida state has a ton of cash... wisconsin has a terrific coach who gets a lot out of a little... marquette's built themselves up a nice rep since they had diane wade.


but the 5 mid-major schools... butler, byu, san diego state, richmond, vcu... all programs loaded with under recruited kids. jimmer is the poster child for the under recruited. not a single big east school seriously recruited him. syracuse had a small flirting with him, but that's it. nobody else even said hello. he just wasn't athletic enough to play at that level. he'd make a nice low major player, but in reality he's probably a high D3 player. bullshit... i saw that kid play. he could flat fill it up from anywhere on the court.

there's a kid who was a senior at holy cross high school in the queens this year who was at the top of the city catholic league in scoring, first team all conference, can flat fill it up. not one single offer from any of the top area schools. nada. zilch. hofstra hasn't even offered him. apparently he can't play at that level. put up huge numbers against the kids who were recruited, but he can't play. he's not "athletic" or "long" enough.

pisses me off.
As a constant observer of Philly Catholic League ball and the recruiting that goes on there ... this is a very good summary of what's going on.

It's amazing how much money is beginning to go around to players, even at the high school level.

In a separate story: my younger brother is actually quite the ballplayer. Great shooter. Decent size, too. But he got buried by his high school coach for not being athletic enough. Averaged about 5 minutes a game for his senior season. Every decent coach in the area said if they had him he'd average 18 a game. But the coach at our high school just wanted AAU ball.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #373
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,890
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i really think it's time to split the conference in half. i thought it was time to split the conference in half like 3 years ago. but yea.
It's a conference built around making money, so that'll never happen.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #374
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
It's a conference built around making money, so that'll never happen.
but i think money is what could make it happen eventually... in that the real big money comes in college football, and half of the big east plays football, and half of the big east does not.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #375
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
but i think money is what could make it happen eventually... in that the real big money comes in college football, and half of the big east plays football, and half of the big east does not.
They'll never lure their prize in for football though.
__________________

__________________
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com