College Basketball 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I'm going to watch girlie ball tonight. Go ahead, mock away. But at least now when some smartass says "all UConn has is women's basketball" I can point to not only 2 men's national championships, but hey! a BCS bowl.

Hey Headache, how bout that 1-2 Texas knockout over UNC? Thompson with the dunk and Joseph with the spin around buzzer beater. :drool:

Canada, Toronto specifically, pretty much had a meltdown that night. League or bust! :up:

:wink:

Like I posted in the football thread... dont know much about college basketball. I'm a freshman at UCF, and they're on a tear right now 13-0. I dont want to make any ridiculous assumptions because I know that college sports works heavily on schedules and conferences, but what are UCF's chances at making the tournament and where do they stand amongst the nation (aside from their national rankings which I find silly in basketball). Also, what chances do you think they've got at finishing the season undefeated (I know Memphis will be a struggle twice, but other than that I dont know if any of their opponents are any good)?

I dont want to make any ridiculous assumptions because I know that college sports works heavily on schedules and conferences, but what are UCF's chances at making the tournament and where do they stand amongst the nation (aside from their national rankings which I find silly in basketball).

I don't really follow Conference USA, but if UCF wins the conference tourney they get an automatic bid. If they just make the final they should be in no sweat too.

What else are you going to do? There's 345 teams in Division I. They already have a horrible time using "objective" data in the BCS for football, and that's barely 100 teams they're worrying about.

The polling doesn't matter nearly as much anyway, since 64 teams make the playoffs. If you're any good, you'll make the tournament and go from there. In football, their ranking system doesn't lead to a playoff where teams like TCU get a shot at the title. You'll never see that in college basketball.

Okay so again... what are you getting at?

Like I said... they're harmless... but they're silly. As opposed to football... where they're equally as silly... except they mean something which makes them 10 times worse.

It's silly because it's the equivalent to power-rankings in pro sports but they're taken as 'the word'.

Duke is ranked #1. Therefore they are the #1 team in the nation, and get a '#1' next to their name. It's a bunch of opinions combined together. Shouldn't be the word of the lord. It's stupid, but it does no harm.

From my perspective... I'd prefer something more along the lines of a majorly objective ranking (computer numbers, leading your division, whatever) that have no purpose. Not voting.

see... it's not. the tournament is god. you win in the tournament, you are the champion. if you want to argue that they're silly because they ultimately have very little to do with tournament seeding? then yea... you'd have a good point, because in actuality RPI and strength of schedule and all of those lovely computer rankings decide seeding... but when it's all said and done, the champion is decided between the lines, not because of a computer or a journalist.

whereas in football the arbitrary rankings decide who gets to play for a championship, and are incredibly unfair to non bcs conference teams like TCU.

butler can play for a national championship in basketball. TCU can't play for one in football.

I would say they were silly if they weren't usually quite accurate. Rankings in college basketball are usually pretty good, and they don't have to be painstakingly accurate like college football because 64 teams get to play for the championship.

see... it's not. the tournament is god. you win in the tournament, you are the champion. if you want to argue that they're silly because they ultimately have very little to do with tournament seeding? then yea... you'd have a good point, because in actuality RPI and strength of schedule and all of those lovely computer rankings decide seeding... but when it's all said and done, the champion is decided between the lines, not because of a computer or a journalist.

whereas in football the arbitrary rankings decide who gets to play for a championship, and are incredibly unfair to non bcs conference teams like TCU.

butler can play for a national championship in basketball. TCU can't play for one in football.

Oh I love the college tournament in basketball... like I said earlier the football one is much worse... because it actually means something. In basketball, I just find it silly that it's mostly opinions from polling that are taken so seriously yet mean absolutely nothing.

:sigh:

the polls in football are done by people, just like the polls in basketball. in fact, they're done by mostly the same people; one by the media, one by the coaches.

the BCS, on the other hand, is done largely by computers based on percentages and whatnot.

wouldn't ya know... RPI? done by a computer, based on percentages and whatnot.

so i don't really know what is different, but yea... more power to ya.

Back
Top Bottom