The Vinyl Thread - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:19 PM
My pride and joy of my records plus one special sometimes hard to find CD thrown in there for fun.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #557
The Male

Local Time: 06:19 PM
I Am the Cosmos

I bought the WOWY single too. I don't know why. It was just cheap and the songs are hard to argue with.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #558
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I Am the Cosmos

I bought the WOWY single too. I don't know why. It was just cheap and the songs are hard to argue with.
Yeah, so true. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #559
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:19 PM
My copy of NLOTH showed up. Working back through the remasters now to complete the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #560
War Child

Local Time: 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
My copy of NLOTH showed up. Working back through the remasters now to complete the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 05-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at getting a decent turntable/hifi set up.and replace the crappy $80 target turntable my parents gave me...something that I've long wanted to do but have little to no knowledge in this field. I have been doing some online research and it seems to be the best way to go is to buy something second hand rather than brand new (although arguments for both sides)

I've been looking a bit on ebay for the last couple of weeks and I'm pretty keen on making a bid on this Vintage Retro Technics Hifi System in Glenroy, VIC | eBay Would something like this be a good "entry level" system? or am I wasting my time. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #562
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm looking at getting a decent turntable/hifi set up.and replace the crappy $80 target turntable my parents gave me...something that I've long wanted to do but have little to no knowledge in this field. I have been doing some online research and it seems to be the best way to go is to buy something second hand rather than brand new (although arguments for both sides)

I've been looking a bit on ebay for the last couple of weeks and I'm pretty keen on making a bid on this Vintage Retro Technics Hifi System in Glenroy, VIC | eBay Would something like this be a good "entry level" system? or am I wasting my time. Any thoughts appreciated.
I bought and quickly returned a few cheap turntables before I realized you have to pay at least $400 to make it worthwhile. I ended up getting the Pro Ject Debut Carbon a few months ago and it's excellent. I paid $600 because it has some upgrades such as an acrylic platter and speed box. I did a lot of research before buying and the Pro Ject is almost universally acclaimed for an entry level TT.

I also quickly found out that vinyl doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. A lot of factors play into it such as the quality of the pressing, original mastering, etc. But when you get a great sounding record, there's nothing like it. For example, I have In Rainbows by Radiohead on double LP 45 rpm and the audio quality is simply astounding. I also have some Duke Ellington records that sound beautiful.

Only negative thing is I have to resist the urge to buy more records.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #563
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Hey guys,

I gotta say, the purchase of retro hifi equipment is generally just for the aesthetic. Oftentimes it is just as expensive, and comes with no warranty or any sort of assurance it will work more than a week. With analogue audio, there is no shame in getting some new, decent kit. It all depends on your budget. Sure there are certain things to steer clear of, I would recommend jumping on whathifi and looking at reviews of things you are after.

For a turntable, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is really the best entry level audiophile deck around. For 100 extra clams, you can get the USB version (USB really only useful because it has a built-in pre-amp, so you would potentially only need powered speakers, or an A/V receiver with phono input and speakers to run it).

You will also read a lot of varying opinions on what is best to spend more money on - Turntable, receiver, speakers, cables (ha!). For my money, once you hit the audiophile level turntable, to make an appreciable difference in sound you have to spend thousands more, same with a receiver. Speakers are where the money is best spent. Also, best to go a 2.1 speaker set-up for music, and spend more on getting good speakers and subs, than wasting money on lots of cheaper speakers. Depending on budget, something like this could go for around aus $2,653 if you do your research:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT - Audio Junction Newcastle - $549
Yamaha R-S500 receiver - Eastwood Hifi Sydney - $599
Bowers & Wilkins 685s2 Bookshelf speakers - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $839
Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 Subwoofer - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $667

Again, budget may be the telling factor, and if it was the US or UK, the same kit would be about 25% cheaper (go Australia!).
Old 05-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #564
Blue Crack Supplier

I my Debut Carbon.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #565
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I gotta say, the purchase of retro hifi equipment is generally just for the aesthetic. Oftentimes it is just as expensive, and comes with no warranty or any sort of assurance it will work more than a week. With analogue audio, there is no shame in getting some new, decent kit. It all depends on your budget. Sure there are certain things to steer clear of, I would recommend jumping on whathifi and looking at reviews of things you are after.

For a turntable, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is really the best entry level audiophile deck around. For 100 extra clams, you can get the USB version (USB really only useful because it has a built-in pre-amp, so you would potentially only need powered speakers, or an A/V receiver with phono input and speakers to run it).

You will also read a lot of varying opinions on what is best to spend more money on - Turntable, receiver, speakers, cables (ha!). For my money, once you hit the audiophile level turntable, to make an appreciable difference in sound you have to spend thousands more, same with a receiver. Speakers are where the money is best spent. Also, best to go a 2.1 speaker set-up for music, and spend more on getting good speakers and subs, than wasting money on lots of cheaper speakers. Depending on budget, something like this could go for around aus $2,653 if you do your research:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT - Audio Junction Newcastle - $549
Yamaha R-S500 receiver - Eastwood Hifi Sydney - $599
Bowers & Wilkins 685s2 Bookshelf speakers - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $839
Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 Subwoofer - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $667

Again, budget may be the telling factor, and if it was the US or UK, the same kit would be about 25% cheaper (go Australia!).
Thanks mate for the detailed response! A lot of that sounds way out of my budget right now, but definitely something I could work towards.

I'm gonna look at a few US stores. My Dad often gets a lot of stuff shipped in for the US on Shipping containers, so I could potentially look at buying some of the equipment from the states, although the dollar isn't as flash as it was 18 months ago, there still might be some saving.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #566
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Thanks mate for the detailed response! A lot of that sounds way out of my budget right now, but definitely something I could work towards.

I'm gonna look at a few US stores. My Dad often gets a lot of stuff shipped in for the US on Shipping containers, so I could potentially look at buying some of the equipment from the states, although the dollar isn't as flash as it was 18 months ago, there still might be some saving.
No worries mate.

You could take a few steps out by getting some powered speakers, and the USB version of the TT - no need for a receiver or pre-amp then. Might get it down under $1k
Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #567
War Child

Old 05-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

JB has the Pro-Ject Essential II for $429....seriously considering.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #569
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
JB has the Pro-Ject Essential II for $429....seriously considering.
Dennis White has it cheaper:

Free Shipping :: Pro-ject Essential MKII Turntable - Free Metro Shipping

Not sure what postage is though.

What Hi-Fi has it as the best deck under 400 pounds - Can't go wrong!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #570
ONE
love, blood, life

Didn't know JB branched out into proper decks either - they were mostly going for the ultra entry level - 200 bucks and below.