The Vinyl Thread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 12:08 PM
I found a copy of Joy Division online. Marked up $8 above what stores were asking yesterday, but it was really bugging me that I missed out on that one.

I'm not going to look at the list anymore because I'll be tempted to buy more stuff online.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #407
45:33

Local Time: 07:08 AM
The Vinyl Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Damn. Thanks anyway.

The LCD box is getting a wider release on May 20, so I decided to wait until then as I'll be more financially solvent (i.e. not post-Coachella).

Shit at Coachella is so fucking expensive man. It's like Australian prices.

Thankfully the rest of your country is hella cheap.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #408
ONE
love, blood, life

I finally picked up Beck's Morning Phase on vinyl today and this album reminds me of why I like vinyl. The mastering is top notch. The separation of instruments comes out and it sounds like Beck is strumming his guitar in my living room.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #409
ONE
love, blood, life

Morning Phase was mastered by Bob Ludwig which explains the top notchness in the mastering.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Anyone have the Blu Ray of Sea Change? It has got to sound amazing...if ever there was an album meant for surround sound..
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #411
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just snagged the REM box at Face Value. Some leftover from the place that had the Mike Mills signing.

Bull Moose. R.E.M. Unplugged The Complete 1991 And 2001 Sessions 4lp Rsd Exclusive
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, the site is now unusable, lol. Funny enough, the records were supposed to go on sale at noon but went on sale like four minutes early, so I had no problem with my order. Now it's impossible to search anything.

Just hoping nothing weird happens. I already received a confirmation email.

God, Record Store Day is so irritating. There must be thousands on this damn site right now. Guess Maine is the only place that didn't sell out of a lot of this stuff or decide to resell it for way more than list price. I would not be shocked if four hours from now this website was still clogged...I can't even add anything to the basket at the moment and I doubt anyone else can. And of course, nobody is going to just leave...this could go on all day...

...but I'm sticking with it, regardless. There's three more releases I want that this store has...and for the list price and free shipping? Fuck yeah.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Anyone have the Blu Ray of Sea Change? It has got to sound amazing...if ever there was an album meant for surround sound..
I have it on DVD-A and the surround mix is nice. Not sure if the Blu-ray is a new master or just a repackaging of the DVD-A.

I have been hesitant to buy any of these "Pure Audio" Blu-ray releases because I don't have the setup to rip them. Seems like hi-res downloads are becoming more common so it may become just another dead disc-based audio format. I suppose Blu-ray players will be around for awhile, though.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #414
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I found a copy of Joy Division online. Marked up $8 above what stores were asking yesterday, but it was really bugging me that I missed out on that one.

I'm not going to look at the list anymore because I'll be tempted to buy more stuff online.
Yeah I found the Disclosure 12" I had wanted online for a reasonable price as well. I must have gotten lucky seeing it at $20 when others were asking $35 or 40.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #415
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's weird how some stores would sell out of certain items. The Joy Division EP and Disclosure single were pretty much sitting on the shelves for a while at my store, guess it all just depends.

Anybody who lives in Maine pretty much lucked out though. The chain store that I bought the R.E.M. box set from had practically everything in one of their locations or another as late as this afternoon when they went on sale to everybody on the internet. If you lived around one of their chain locations, you could have easily picked up $15 EPs that are now going for $90, etc. R.E.M. box sets were sitting on the shelves in four stores as late as Sunday night.

People in nearby states should just do record store day in Maine on Saturday. Their website even tells you what is at each location. You could probably land almost anything you want by just visiting three of their stores over a couple hours.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Maine is pretty far from Seattle.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #417
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What a d-bag.

Signed REM Box on eBay
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #418
Blue Crack Distributor

That is what I loved about Record Store Day when I lived in Fort Worth. They're just weren't as many people, so there were more releases available. Anyways as far as those eBay prices go nobody should even bother trying to buy any of this stuff for about 3 or 4 months. After that they go back to right about what the normal price should be.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think I'll just get the R.E.M. set on CD rather than pay $500 for it.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is pretty cool.

Quote:
The deluxe edition of Jack White's new LP is a vinyl nerd’s dream · Newswire · The A.V. Club

By Marah Eakin May 6, 2014 12:56 PM

Jack White has long been an advocate of all sorts of vinyl nerdiness, from acting as last year’s Record Store Day ambassador to using his label, Third Man, to put out an absolutely ridiculous box set of Paramount Records material from the ’10s, ’20s, and ’30s. Now White is taking pretty much every trick he’s learned and applying it to the “Ultra LP” version of his new Lazaretto. White and Third Man label manager Ben Blackwell walk through all the features in the clip below, which is recommended viewing for any LP nerd. But in a nutshell and for laymen, basically there’s going to be a whole bunch of nerdy record collector shit jammed onto this one, 180-gram LP.

For instance, side one plays from the inside out, while each side features a hidden track beneath the center labels. One of those tracks plays at 78 RPM, the other plays at 45 RPM, and the actual record plays at 33 RPM—making Lazaretto the only LP to ever contain all three speeds (probably). The record also uses “dual-groove technology,” meaning that one of the tracks, “Just One Drink,” has both an electric and an acoustic intro, depending on where the listener places the needle. The grooves meet later about halfway through the song. Both sides of the record end in locked grooves, meaning they’ll just spin one short sound ad nauseam, until the listener finally flips the switch and turns the record off. Perhaps most impressive are artist Tristan Duke’s holographic etchings into the unused vinyl of the A-side, which, in the right light, make it appear like a pair of angels is floating above the record as it spins.

There’s some other superfluousness built into the LP as well—one side is matte and there is shiny, and so on—and should all this appeal to you, the Ultra LP edition of Lazaretto is available for pre-order now from the Third Man records site. Amazingly, it’s only $20.