The Police Tour '07 - Part 3 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #346
Refugee

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Billboard has just reporte the top 10 tours of 2007. The eligibility period runs from November 14, 2006 through November 13, 2007. Any show played during this time frame is included in the totals.

The Police total is 212 million dollars, but does not include 4 shows already reported in Charlotte, 2 in Atlanta, and San Antonio. These shows took place after the November 13, 2007 cut off date. The 8 shows south of the United States in Central and Southern America have not been reported yet.

1 show that was reported that I do not have the figures for yet took place in Connecticut and had roughly 30,000 people with a $3 million gross. Mysteriously, 3 shows in Atlantic City, Lisbon Portugal, and Denmark, have not been reported at all and so are not apart of the tour totals.

Here are the top 10 tours for 2007:

1. The Police $212 million
2. Genesis $129 million
3. Justin Timberlake $126.8 million
4. Kenny Chesney $71.2 million
5. Rod Stewart $70 million
6. Cirque Du Soleil's Delirium $59.4 million
7. Roger Waters $53.2 million
8. Tim McGraw/Faith Hill $52.3 million
9. Christina Aguilera $48.1 million
10. Rascal Flatts $41.6 million

The above figures are worldwide.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003685265

Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #347
Blue Crack Addict

I just love it that my favorite old bands like The Police and Genesis beat out the king of teeny-boppers Justin Timberlake

Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

The same situation happened for U2 on the last tour. In Denver, Scalpers bought up tickets and then many had trouble selling them before show time. Scalping has always been out there and it was easier to make money from scalping back in the 1980s when tours were often underpriced and the level of money made from tour was not large.
Oh boy, STING2 is back.

It wasn't just scalpers, though. People who had bought tickets and then were trying to get rid of them when they had extras or couldn't go anymore had a very hard time doing so. If I had been available for the November show, I would have had my pick of tickets to choose from.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Here are the top 10 tours for 2007:

2. Genesis $129 million
4. Kenny Chesney $71.2 million
5. Rod Stewart $70 million
6. Cirque Du Soleil's Delirium $59.4 million
7. Roger Waters $53.2 million
8. Tim McGraw/Faith Hill $52.3 million
9. Christina Aguilera $48.1 million
10. Rascal Flatts $41.6 million

The above figures are worldwide.
Where do The Rolling Stones(several US shows in late 06 and Europe 2007) plus Van Halen(only 6 weeks would be eligible) fit in with this list?

u2fp
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #350
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Oh boy, STING2 is back.

It wasn't just scalpers, though. People who had bought tickets and then were trying to get rid of them when they had extras or couldn't go anymore had a very hard time doing so. If I had been available for the November show, I would have had my pick of tickets to choose from.
But thats true of just about any concert tour including U2. The Police went for the highest average ticket price they could get and still sellout the venue most of the time. U2 charges a little bit below what would be the highest average ticket price but still, it was very difficult to get rid of a $95 dollar or a $160 dollar ticket at the last minute, unless of course you went down in price. The fact is, the majority of people(willing to buy tickets at face value) still buy tickets through normal channels and if they don't have a ticket by the day of the show, they don't go to the show. That makes it tough for scalpers trying to make money on a show where the average ticket price is over a hundred dollars and you have to charge more than that to make any money.

The whole issue of scalpers selling tickets at below face value is something that happens year round for multiple artist at various levels of popularity. The majority of tickets are still sold from the boxoffice to customers that do not resell them and go to the show. Regardless of what goes on in the secondary ticket market, the only accurate way to measure demand of various artist is through the official boxoffice results which are reported by Billboard Magazine.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 AM   #351
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter

Where do The Rolling Stones(several US shows in late 06 and Europe 2007) plus Van Halen(only 6 weeks would be eligible) fit in with this list?

u2fp
Good point. The above list was just a preliminary one as the official will be the Billboard year end chart list. The Rolling Stones did not report their individual results to Billboard Boxscore for 2007 as many of the shows were only half full. But, the final total was reported in the media and it should be included in Billboards year end chart. Van Halen had only played 22 shows by the November 13 cut off, and were averaging about $1.5 million per show in Gross which would not put them on the list.

So with the Stones figures included, this is how the list will look:

2. Genesis $129 million
4. Rolling Stones $118 million
5. Kenny Chesney $71.2 million
6. Rod Stewart $70 million
7. Cirque Du Soleil's Delirium $59.4 million
8. Roger Waters $53.2 million
9. Tim McGraw/Faith Hill $52.3 million
10. Christina Aguilera $48.1 million
11. Rascal Flatts $41.6 million
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #352
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Holy hell that's an awful Top 10.

How did Police ticket sales finish up in Australia? I know they were sluggish, so they added Fergie (Fergie!) to the shows to try boost them a bit.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #353
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Holy hell that's an awful Top 10.

How did Police ticket sales finish up in Australia? I know they were sluggish, so they added Fergie (Fergie!) to the shows to try boost them a bit.
Well, the global top 10 does have The Police, Genesis, The Rolling Stones, and Roger Waters.

Those result won't be in until sometime in February. The tour down under doesn't start until January 17, 2008. Provided they eventually sellout or come close to selling out, they should get 4 to 5 million gross for each stadium(Sydney, Melbourne, Aukland) and about 2 million for the arena's. They are doing 3 stadiums in Japan compared to the three Arena shows U2 did in Japan on the last tour. But, Japan has never really been a strong market for U2 except on the Lovetown Tour.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #354
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Oh boy, STING2 is back.
Well, that would explain why Strongbow's posting style seemed familiar. Why the name change, Sting2? Forgot your password and didn't want to go to Sting3?

And U2FP, you definitely didn't have any such discussion with me. I like reading the concert sales stats threads, but I almost never post in them.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #355
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

But thats true of just about any concert tour including U2. The Police went for the highest average ticket price they could get and still sellout the venue most of the time. U2 charges a little bit below what would be the highest average ticket price but still, it was very difficult to get rid of a $95 dollar or a $160 dollar ticket at the last minute, unless of course you went down in price. The fact is, the majority of people(willing to buy tickets at face value) still buy tickets through normal channels and if they don't have a ticket by the day of the show, they don't go to the show. That makes it tough for scalpers trying to make money on a show where the average ticket price is over a hundred dollars and you have to charge more than that to make any money.

The whole issue of scalpers selling tickets at below face value is something that happens year round for multiple artist at various levels of popularity. The majority of tickets are still sold from the boxoffice to customers that do not resell them and go to the show. Regardless of what goes on in the secondary ticket market, the only accurate way to measure demand of various artist is through the official boxoffice results which are reported by Billboard Magazine.
Which was my original point at the beginning of the Cops hype, specifically about the super quick Fenway Park sell out, I said that it was a kind of false sell out cause the market would flood with tix later when the tix held for Red Sox season ticket holders to purchase if they desired were put back in the system, and if you read the posts here from July,(see pages 17-19 of this thread, posts by myself and phanan) that happened...the Red Sox and Ticketmaster were selling thousands of good seats for the Police at Fenway, including the Red Sox enticing people to buy with the inclusion of a free pair of Red Sox tix (Tickets which were in much higher demand in Boston this year than the Police). I explained to your previous incarnation(which was a better screen name ) that the Red Sox hold a pair of seats for each season ticket account, which would add up to 10's of thousands of tix, and as expected, many of the Sox season ticket holders didn't exercise their opportunity to purchase the seats cause they had been burned so badly trying to re-sell Stones tix in 2005 cause the price point was way too high for the demand, just like the Police.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well, it varies by location as well. In Boston, I can definitely tell you that the demand for The Police was nowhere near that of U2 or Springsteen. Of course, the ticket prices probably had something to do with that as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well, it varies by location as well. In Boston, I can definitely tell you that the demand for The Police was nowhere near that of U2 or Springsteen. Of course, the ticket prices probably had something to do with that as well.
The Van Halen show Oct 30 was a much tougher ticket than the Police 12 days later at the Garden in fact. The fact that the Police had already played Fenway had a lot of bearing on that, they absolutely flooded the market in Boston much like the Stones after playing Fenway in 2005 coming back to the Garden in Jan 2006 and never coming close to selling out.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #358
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

would the 2007 Van Halen boxscores include the private/corporate and secret 3rd show they did in Toronto in November?

Someone compared Police/Bruce in Detroit. I think this is what happened after Bruce played the political game in 2004. Some of his audience checked out for awhile.

There was another posting about cheap ticket out front for the Police in vancouver. Opening night they were giving them away, partly because there were no real reviews yet, but the next night it was $100 to get in at show time. This was because for the last Vancouver show people stopped expecting the worst and because someone in the press printed that $20 tickets were abundant so the scene outfront was a freeloader chaos.

u2fp
Old 12-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #359
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Well, that would explain why Strongbow's posting style seemed familiar. Why the name change, Sting2? Forgot your password and didn't want to go to Sting3?

You got it.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #360
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Which was my original point at the beginning of the Cops hype, specifically about the super quick Fenway Park sell out, I said that it was a kind of false sell out cause the market would flood with tix later when the tix held for Red Sox season ticket holders to purchase if they desired were put back in the system, and if you read the posts here from July,(see pages 17-19 of this thread, posts by myself and phanan) that happened...the Red Sox and Ticketmaster were selling thousands of good seats for the Police at Fenway, including the Red Sox enticing people to buy with the inclusion of a free pair of Red Sox tix (Tickets which were in much higher demand in Boston this year than the Police). I explained to your previous incarnation(which was a better screen name ) that the Red Sox hold a pair of seats for each season ticket account, which would add up to 10's of thousands of tix, and as expected, many of the Sox season ticket holders didn't exercise their opportunity to purchase the seats cause they had been burned so badly trying to re-sell Stones tix in 2005 cause the price point was way too high for the demand, just like the Police.

You don't have any figures to show how many tickets were released later after the on sale date, so the above is just pure speculation and is something that would apply to any artist making the issue essentially irrelevant.

The main point is that The Police DID NOT make a mistake in booking stadiums across North America and the rest of the world based on the results they saw at Fenway Park. Plus it wasn't just the sales at Fenway Park, it was also how fast the first Madison Square Garden shows soldout. Arthur Fogal, the tour promoter for The Police and U2 was very impressed with the results at Fenway Park, the official boxoffice results prove that the Police tour was not hype, but is already one of the most successful tours in history.

As the ticket reseller, ticketsnow.com has stated, The Police tour was the hottest resell ticket of 2007. Many scalpers still made plenty of money selling tickets for even higher prices. So even when you look at the secondary ticket market which is not an accurate way at looking at concert success, the Police overall did very well for many people. Sure, many people got burned, but thats no different than any tour where tickets are priced at their correct market value.

The Police tour has already grossed $250 million dollars plus. By the end of summer 2008 it will likely be at the $400 million dollar mark making it the second most successful tour ever in history and way ahead of most big artist including Bruce Springsteen and Madonna who's last tours grossed a little above $200 million dollars. Bottom line, The Police are doing amazing business and the only artist on the planet that are even competitive with this performance are U2 and the Rolling Stones. Not bad for a band that only had 5 albums and last toured almost a quarter of a century ago.

Tags
the police