The National (Part 2) - High Violet & Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got several songs last night that I had not yet heard in concert:

Son
Murder Me Rachael
About Today
Baby, We'll Be Fine
Geese
Green Gloves

The band was on fire, but the crowd was dreadful: more interested in $8 Miller Lites and iPhones than the band, I suppose. I was really glad to hear many of the tracks listed above, though.

songs: niiiiiice
crowd: not so nice. don't those douchenozzles know that it's more cost-effective to down much cheaper pisswater beers (or equally priced GOOD beers, for that matter) and play with their iphones somewhere else?

That was my exact thought Sunday night. Why spend $40 on a ticket when you're just going to talk with your dipshit friends or check your Facebook the entire time?

That was my exact thought Sunday night. Why spend $40 on a ticket when you're just going to talk with your dipshit friends or check your Facebook the entire time?

Yeah, it's sad how thoroughly a terrible crowd can ruin a great performance. It's what makes me lukewarm on concerts in general; one simply cannot predict the crowd reaction. This might sound strange, but I had a more enjoyable time at Oasis a few years ago, hanging around a bunch of frat boys who were singing racuously to Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova, than I did last night in the presence of a far superior band but surrounded by a cadre of disinterested, hipster doofi.

I'm always shocked how many people are far more interested in getting plastered or taking pictures / video with their phone than actually enjoying the concert. Even some of my friends who are HUGE music fans act like complete asses at shows. People are weird.

I'm always shocked how many people are far more interested in getting plastered or taking pictures / video with their phone than actually enjoying the concert. Even some of my friends who are HUGE music fans act like complete asses at shows. People are weird.

When I go to concerts, I make a conscious effort to limit my camera use. I'll pick my spots when to take photos, but then I put it away and enjoy the show.

I stopped taking photos at shows a long time ago, although I did take a brief video of Gambino at FFF at a friend's request. The people who till record an entire song on an iPhone are morons.

It takes every ounce of control in my body not to slap the camera out of the dick hole's hands who feels the need to make of video of every song. There's nothing more distracting than a bright screen right infront of your face when you're trying to watch a show.
Have any of you ever seen Louis CK? He always comes on the PA before the show starts and pretends to work for the venue and sets out the rules and regulations (at the last Toronto show, one of the restrictions was "No Jews are allowed in the Sony Centre for Performing Arts.... I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do about it. It's Canadian law"). Anyway also at the last show, he said something along the lines of "Texting and Facebooking are not permitted during the performance. these may seem like quiet, unobtrusive activities, but it lights up your big, dumb face"

Put down your fucking phone. You're at a concert, alright? Christ.

Who ever thought phones would become such a "thing" at concerts? It's crazy how even just a few years ago you'd never see anyone holding one up. Now you can get in situations where it seriously feels like every single person in front of you is holding a damn phone up in the air, and is watching the entire concert through a 5 inch screen.

I think I've taken a couple pictures with my phone at concerts, but that's it. I've never taken a video. It would sound like shit anyway.

Imperor said:
Put down your fucking phone. You're at a concert, alright? Christ.

Fuck, I know. God forbid people have fun instead, like I do. And I'm the one who gets weird looks for jumping around like a lunatic.

Wait, the Nash were in Chicago again? Fuck. I need to pay more attention to gigs that iyup attends.

normally i leave my phone in the car when i go to shows, as i've dropped/nearly lost and broken phones at shows in the past. sometimes i don't, but most times it doesn't come with me. i thought i was being a big enough douche when i texted mofo when i saw the national, but that lasted for the duration of one song, if that. same reason i stopped trying to keep track of the setlist myself (and opted for googling it when i got home). i only took the phone out of my pocket every 3 songs, tried to covertly make it look like i wasn't typing on it...which probably makes me douchiest of all. oh well.

i wanted to slap the guy in front of me who was shazam-ing or soundhound-ing all the yo la tengo songs in between facebook posts. just gave me the impression he was bragging about the setlist to other hipster douches, yet didn't actually know what he was hearing.

I was extremely, extremely irritated by the amount of crowd noise during About Today. I am going to pull the elitist card here and say that any true fan of The National should have been transfixed by that song. It's absolutely sublime and incredibly moving.

I was extremely, extremely irritated by the amount of crowd noise during About Today. I am going to pull the elitist card here and say that any true fan of The National should have been transfixed by that song. It's absolutely sublime and incredibly moving.

i'll jump on that elitist train. i'll be riding in the baggage compartment or something (do trains have baggage compartments?) as i was one of those chucklefucks who had never actually heard the song prior to hearing it live (because i went only knowing alligator/boxer/high violet + having heard a handful of b-sides and earlier songs only a couple times), but it was awesome. then again, i enjoy hearing songs live that i'm not super familiar with/never heard just as much as the stuff i really like.

i just really don't get talking during shows. only time it's acceptable is if someone you're with asks you the name of a song, and you answer. end of fucking conversation.

it's a shame a mod is going to take those down. glad i got in before that happened.

You can put together a damn nice EP from these High Violet-era extras:

You Were a Kindness
Walk Off
Think You Can Wait
Exile/Vilify
Rylan
I Need My Girl

I was supposed to be at that, but I had to take care of some work stuffs instead. My girlfriend was there though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom