The Church: new albums, new tours, cranky old bastards. What's not to love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my hunt for MWP photos I found a pic of Peter with a beard. And it's one hell of a huge ass beard!! :ohmy:

pkbeard1.jpg

Ya know, he looks a bit Peter Buck-ish there, when Mr Buck was featuring the face fungus. Oooh, I've never been a Koppes chick, does this mean I may have to betray MWP? :ohmy:

I was really into The Church for a few months in my first year of undergraduate in 1999. I had the 1988 album (Milky Way could have been awesome except for the Gaelic-influenced bridge and the last song started out really well.) and bought the 1992 and 1994 ones. They went from obsessions of mine to losing favor. I found the lyrics too wordy and not very interesting. That's just me though.

Since it's now September 13 in both the US and Australia I'll now make my Happy Birthday Steve! post. And how better to celebrate than with pics....ok there are better ways to celebrate, but those aren't possible on here, so pics it is.

As a pretty young pup :)
skearlyperhapspicfrommalibu1986.jpg

Gold Afternoon Fix era
gafsk-1.jpg

Late 2003 -- Gone South Festival
skatgonesouth1.jpg

Also late 2003 at Gone South festival
skatgonesouthgreen.jpg

Hot (literally!) Steve -- early 2007
sk2007oztour.jpg

on 2006 US tour. In Florida
sk2006ustourbsmith.jpg

in Praha 2007 wearing his Please Smoke Ganja shirt. :)
skinpraha2007.jpg

also in Praha 2007
skportraitinpraha.jpg

Stevo is pondering a new profession:

then i moved into my new occupation
i review aphrodisiacs
for drugworld.org
i am the foremost aphrodisiac reviewer on earth
cmon you say
an aphrodisiac reviewer?
laugh if you want
it was around 2008
that they invented love-bites
a totally legal a-disiac
i used to write this column everyday
one day i dropped some love-bites
i was literally blown away
what were these new drugs?
who was making em?
the ingredients were fruit n flowers...
i posted an online review
its kinda famous now i guess
you see any idiot can cop a high
but not any idiot can describe it in creative language
i guess i was born to do it
anyway a few days after my first love-bites post
they contact me
would i review their products for them?
ok....
would i test drive aphrodisiacs and report in?
sure, i think i could handle that

:lmao:

That would sure be a job to love.... :)

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to add "horny" to the title of my next Church thread. :wink:

Muldfeld said:
I was really into The Church for a few months in my first year of undergraduate in 1999. I had the 1988 album (Milky Way could have been awesome except for the Gaelic-influenced bridge and the last song started out really well.) and bought the 1992 and 1994 ones. They went from obsessions of mine to losing favor. I found the lyrics too wordy and not very interesting. That's just me though.

Sometime Anywhere, the 1994 album, wasn't particularly strong, although I do find some of the songs I never really cared for on the album do much better live. For instance I quite like Two Places At Once live (and on EMS), but never cared for it on SA. Starfish (1988) and Priest = Aura (1992) are still two of my favourite albums by anyone, not just the Church.

It's always interesting to me how the very thing switches one person off about a band/musician (or anything really I guess) can be what another loves. Much of what you dislike and find uninteresting about the Church is the very stuff I love and find fascinating.

indra said:
I think I'm going to have to add "horny" to the title of my next Church thread. :wink:

:hmm:

yes, I believe that could work quite well! :wink:

Hey, I finally bought myself a copy of the 'Deep in the Shallows' compilation CD a few days ago, to add to my collection :) It's an amazing collection of songs and I've been thinking it'd make a great pressie/introduction to unsuspecting friends I try so valiantly to convert!!! I LOVE the gorgeous photo's in the CD inlay :heart:

Just thought I'd share a couple of photo's that I took last night at the Steve Kilbey/David Bridie gig that I was very excited to attend :hyper: !

P9290307.jpg

P9290299.jpg

Despite being extremely sleep-deprived today after only 4 hours sleep and having to get up at the crack of dawn to go to work, I spent most of time with a huge grin on my face :D ... and still managed to feel really hyper! It was a wonderful, wonderful show and, as always, I was thoroughly entranced by the beautiful music :heart:

I'll write some more once my brain starts functionally normally again :wink: Indra and BUG .. you'll find some more photo's in your mail box :)

blueeyedgirl said:
And quite obv sleep deprived, "BUG" indeed! :madspit:

:D

oh ... dear ... :wink: Yes, that sleep deprived that it actually took me a few moments just now, trying to figure out what I said wrong, hahahaha

soooo sorry!!!! :D :dance:

Hello Indra!! So the Church are out and about again? I saw in my local Sunday rag a nice big ad for the new Divinyls tour and who should be supporting? :ohmy: One, I'm surprised that the Divinyls are a going concern again and two, the Choich! And it's in theatres!!!!! I hope the tix aren't too bad cos I'll be buggering off before Chrissie comes on stage! :D

blueeyedgirl said:
Hello Indra!! So the Church are out and about again? I saw in my local Sunday rag a nice big ad for the new Divinyls tour and who should be supporting? :ohmy: One, I'm surprised that the Divinyls are a going concern again and two, the Choich! And it's in theatres!!!!! I hope the tix aren't too bad cos I'll be buggering off before Chrissie comes on stage! :D

I heard about this! SK did mention a while back that they would probably be touring with another band from the same timeframe, but he didn't sound terribly thrilled with it. The possibly better rumour is that the band will be doing headlining shows early next year -- I thought I heard March maybe? Tickets for these double bill gigs seem a bit steep to me -- I've heard they will be about $85. But hey, you'll get the Divinyl's new single! woohoo! :D

Apparently the Divinyls got elected into the Aussie hall of fame a year or so ago and when they performed there decided to give it another go. So far they've done a single. Supposedly they are working on an album....maybe they want to see how the touring goes first.

:)

Oh Ok it still really doesn't make sense. The Divinyls were, even with the presence of Chrissie, a right ol' pub rock band, and I reeaaaalllly couldn't count ye olde Choiche as being pub rock :lol:

And yet SK, the old fart won't consider soiling his artistic integrity by having Starfish on Classic Oz Albums. It's a strange old world...

When I first heard about the Church/Divinyls tour the other day, my first thought was ... WHAT THE?!?!?! But then the thought of seeing the guys perform in Melbourne at the Forum (one of my favourit-ist venues) overrided the initial surprise! So, I'm really looking forward to this now.

And guess where I'll be this coming Saturday evening???
:shifty:

TranceEnding said:
And guess where I'll be this coming Saturday evening???
:shifty:

:grumpy:

I'm sooooo fucking jealous! :mad:

TE -- sent you an email. :)

blueeyedgirl said:
And yet SK, the old fart won't consider soiling his artistic integrity by having Starfish on Classic Oz Albums. It's a strange old world...

I haven't heard for sure that he turned it down, so maybe.... It will be interesting to see when the next round of that show comes out it it's on there. Someone should give him a good swift kick in the rear if it isn't. :angry:

Trancy baby... We're waiting for your review! :hyper:

Got the following info today:

Definite confirmed dates with The Divinyls :

Tues Dec 11 - Enmore Theatre Sydney NSW (possibly more)
Sat Dec 15 - The Forum Melb VIC (possibly more )
Thur Dec 20 - Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide SA
Sat Dec 22 - Fremantle Oval, Perth WA

More dates to be locked in hopefully (ie QLD in Jan) - keep checking the official website please.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Better than nothing I guess. With any luck the pay will be good for them and they pick up some new/lapsed fans from it. Tickets seem kind of expensive though.

I have heard they might be doing some of their own gigs early next year, but nothing is set on that.

Fremantle OVAL???? :ohmy: Obviously a hot bed of Divinyls worship! :wink:

Well the Thebby is a nice venue to see bands, if nothing else. Have to check the pre-Xmas bank statement....

blueeyedgirl said:

I just looked the venue up myself (and also checked Ticketmaster to make sure that really was the venue) and :ohmy: indeed! I would have never guessed the Divinyls were such a draw. But I only know them from "I Touch Myself" which never did much for me. :shrug:

Well the Thebby is a nice venue to see bands, if nothing else. Have to check the pre-Xmas bank statement....

And there might be news of Church headline shows by then. :)

blueeyedgirl said:

LOL:lol: ahhhhhh! Freo! My spiritual home!!!!! I once went to a Big Day Out with U2Bliss many moons ago ... great fun! Except that you get really fried in the hot Perth summer!

Anyway! Now this is brilliant news! Texting 'the Bliss as we speak ... she's gotta see the Churchy!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom