The Best of 2012 in Music: Albums, Songs, Shows, Lists, Discussions, Fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just counted and they gave exactly 50 albums BNM this year....why wouldn't all of those releases be on the list or at least the honorable mentions...

It's probably because the BNMs are individual choices, whereas the year-end lists are full-staff choices. The same reason that Bloom got a 10 from PopMatters upon release and then landed on the most disappointing list as well.

Where the fuck was Nocturne on pitchfork's list? They gave it BNM...

Gossamer was missing as well, and it got 8.4, a BMN and one of those weirdly intrusive cover stories.

Meanwhile, some rapper named Future got a 7.8 for his album Pluto and it came in at #37.

They used the word "beautiful" when describing The Money Store.

I think GAF is right.

I think I avoided Attack on Memory because I thought it was going to be really heavy (much the same reason I avoided David Comes To Life). One listen to Stay Useless reveals that to be a mistake.

And before someone steps in to call that method of not listening to something silly... it is, but you can't listen to everything if your username's not LemonMelon and I needed a way of filtering through the year's releases.

If you had read my thread, though, I covered the basis of their heavy and not-so heavy sounds though :tongue:

Coblz,

Attack on Memory gets exponentially better with every listen. Don't give up on it after just one or two spins!

I just realized that I left Gossamer off my list. I'll have to review it... Probably not top 10, but somewhere between 10-20 for me.

Fall In is easily the worst on that album. Sounds like some high school punk band.

Wasted Days is one of the songs of the year.

Agreed. The poppy songs are crappy in comparison to the heavier ones.

The poppy ones remind me of stiff little fingers, and make me forget they're mostly just hipster bullshit. So I like the poppies ones.

I like the poppy ones, just not Fall In.

I'm still amazed at how much Stay Useless sounds like a Strokes song. I seriously believe you could put it on Is This It and no-one would notice that it's from a different band.

I'm still amazed at how much Stay Useless sounds like a Strokes song. I seriously believe you could put it on Is This It and no-one would notice that it's from a different band.

Except that the singer sounds absolutely nothing like Julian Casablancas...

I wasn't hugely fond of Attack on Memory, but it is good to see a Cleveland band making good.

Songs
01. Bat for Lashes – Laura
02. Sharon Van Etten – Serpents
03. David Byrne and St. Vincent – Dinner for Two
04. Metric – Youth Without Youth
05. St. Vincent – KROKODIL
06. Bat for Lashes – Marilyn
07. Cat Power – Ruin
08. Garbage – Blood for Poppies
09. thenewno2 – Station
10. Lissy Trullie – Rules We Obey
11. Lower Dens – Brains
12. Amanda Palmer – Do It With A Rockstar
13. Blur – Under the Westway
14. The Killers – Runaways
15. The Joy Formidable – Cholla
16. Muse – Madness
17. Sleigh Bells – Comeback Kid
18. Fiona Apple – Every Single Night
19. Bobby Womack – Love Is Gonna Lift You Up
20. School of Seven Bells – The Night

Shows, along with mini-review

1. The Joy Formidable at Terminal 5 - What an explosive show. Even without a great view, the band's energy was unreal. Not only is Ritzy Byran a fantastic guitarist, but she is an incredibly fiesty, frantic and compelling front woman. The drummer came out dress as a giant lobster for the encore, just for the hell of it. And he still pounded the hell out of the drums. Fantastic show.

2. Pulp at Radio City Music Hall - Pulp looked like they were having an absolute thrill onstage, especially Jarvis Cocker, who retains all the charm and wit he's known for on record during his onstage dialogue with the crowd. Very happy my show got "Monday Morning" and "Sunrise". Of course, the hits were great too.

3. Metric at Radio City Music Hall - Metric is always a captivating live band that seemed built for bigger venues than they had played in the past. They sounded amazing with Radio City's acoustics. Plus, Lou Reed came out to sing "The Wanderlust" and "Pale Blue Eyes". The show ended with an acoustic version of "Gimme Sympathy" that sounded surprisingly good.

4. Governor's Ball at Randall's Island - This year's festival was miles ahead of 2011's electronica-heavy set. I only went on the indie rock day of the festival. The day’s highlights were Cults, Fiona Apple, Modest Mouse and Beck. Although I’ve heard people complain about how disinterested Beck seems nowadays live, I think this mini-tour has breathed a little more energy into him, especially after being off the road for four years. I got hear my favorite Sea Change song, “Sunday Sun,” which was a nice treat. Even the two women tripping out behind me couldn’t hinder that concert for me!

5. Sharon Van Etten at Bowery Ballroom – Tramp is one of my favorite albums of the year and I was lucky enough to see Van Etten play a good majority of it live, on her birthday no less! She was in a great mood, chatting it up with various members of the crowd and her band in between songs. During the encore, she even performed one number while wearing a giant balloon animal that was made for her birthday. Aaron Dessner played with her during the night and it was great to hear him perform in such a small venue.

6. Crossing Brooklyn Ferry Festival at Brooklyn Academy of Music
7. Sleigh Bells, Grizzly Bear, Antlers and Cults at Terminal 5
8. Kasabian at Terminal 5
9. Scissor Sisters at Terminal 5
10. Zola Jesus at Webster Hall

Back
Top Bottom