St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shit, guys. She was awesome tonight. Like super duper awesome. Better than ever.

I will spoil this since many of you will see her in the next couple of months.

I can't even say what the highlights were. The new songs, with one tiny exception (I Prefer Your Love), sounded stunning. Huey Newton live is some hot shit. Digital Witness and Regret are also great.

And even though I loved the new stuff, my favorite sequence was Cruel -> Cheerleader. I thought both, but particularly the latter, were even better than in the last tour.

There was a song in the middle - looking at past setlists, I think it's Pieta - that I didn't recognize. Can't find it online, either. Any idea where it comes from?

She also played Krokodil, her Record Store Day single from a couple of years ago. Really heavy stuff. I thought there would be some crowdsurfing like last time, but alas she stayed onstage.

David Byrne was in the audience, I believe, but did not play with her. Was hoping for a Love This Giant appearance.

Well, if you're going to see her soon, you're in for a treat.

Completely agreed. This is my sixth time seeing her and it's just as good as every other. But it's not a repeat. If you saw her on a past tour, you're in for a very different show.

A lot of the new songs sounded really great. That Huey Newton riff that comes in halfway felt like it was shaking the entire building. Digital Witness, Birth In Reverse and Bring Me All Your Loves were all new album highlights live. I wish we could have gotten Severed Crossed Fingers though.

As for the older material, I love the rearrangements and added effects for Cruel, Surgeon, Cheerleader and Your Lips Are Red. The latter is such a fantastic closer. I'm also really happy that Krokodil is in the setlist.

One of my favorite moments was the solo version of Strange Mercy. With just Annie's voice and guitar, it was really beautiful and had most of the crowd quiet with attention.

I know I'll be going back when she comes around again.

Album's very good. Really excited for more listens.

I think Rattlesnake is my favorite on first listen. Great, vivid opener.

Huey Newton is another definite highlight, as a lot of you already talked about. That guitar tone and vocal performance in the latter half of the song is massive.

I Prefer Your Love and Severed Crossed Fingers do a good job of breaking up some of the metallic, jittery stuff and touching more of that softer "ballad" kind of feel. Two lovely songs.

It's all good.

Yeah. She's got skills.

I see Laughing with a Mouth of Blood is still being played a couple tours later. That's awesome.

Annie does it again. I'm loving how frenetic a lot of these songs are, and the guitar work of course is phenomenal. Still I find myself missing the anger/menacing tone that was on several of those Strange Mercy tracks, like the title song.

It takes too long for this album to hit its stride for it to top Strange Mercy, which is top notch from the get go. I like Rattlesnakes, but Birth in Reverse fucks up the momentum. Huey Newton is the first song on this that I really love and then it goes on an awesome tear.

Digital Witness and Regret are masterpieces.

Last edited:
Takes off, you say?

vghfms.gif

Well, I listened to the album while listening to three other albums, so

Last edited:
Yeah, I just looked her discography and realized she doesn't have any long songs. Like, every song is between 3:00-4:30. So a 19-20 song setlist really doesn't take all that long.

Yeah, I was thinking the same yesterday. And with a couple of exceptions, she doesn't have many extended live versions of songs.

Have fun tomorrow.

Really? I see Krokodil's been played at most of the shows, she debuted that at the show I saw and it went for like 10 minutes, including a lengthy excursion through the crowd.

Would love to see Grot in the setlist. That shit is dirty as fuck.

I think Krokodil and Your Lips Are Red are the only long songs. My memory may be failing me, though.

There must be a different curfew in Philly, because she played from 10:10 until 11:50 here, which kind of fucked with my ride, but whatever.

I never saw her on past tours, so it's hard to compare, but she's just awesome all the way around. My guess is the main differences on this tour are the bits of choreography and the staged between-song little speeches she had.

I would like to meet her someday.

There must be a different curfew in Philly, because she played from 10:10 until 11:50 here, which kind of fucked with my ride, but whatever.

I never saw her on past tours, so it's hard to compare, but she's just awesome all the way around. My guess is the main differences on this tour are the bits of choreography and the staged between-song little speeches she had.

I would like to meet her someday.

Yeah, in terms of stage presence, the choreography and speeches were different then before. She has a more detached presence this tour, if it makes sense. I think the arrangements for some songs have changed too (at least I thought Cheerleader and Your Lips Are Red were much heavier this time around).

The only disappointment for me was that they're not playing Severed Crossed Fingers. But from reading an article about writing the album, it sounds like it might be a One Tree Hill situation.

Back
Top Bottom