Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #886
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:19 AM
This means war.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #887
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:19 PM
i'm still a firm believer that people who say they don't like springsteen just heard the wrong albums. i find it impossible to believe that unless you hate all things rock n roll, and abhor acoustic stuff (which accounts for the other albums), there's something that would be appealing to pretty much anyone. hate synth-y, infamously misinterpreted fist-pumpy born in the usa? hell, there are other versions of that song alone that sound nothing like the overplayed, cringeworthy album version*. it's just a matter of being directed toward the right albums/songs.

*i actually don't hate it in all its straight-up 80s glory, although it's far from my favorite. makes perfect sense to me why someone might hate that song.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #888
Blue Crack Supplier

Dancing in the Dark is far more cringeworthy than the title track. It mystifies me how people are able to stomach how dated that sounds.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #889
45:33

Local Time: 04:19 AM
That's easily my favourite song off the album.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #890
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:19 AM
I actually kinda like that song, too. But then again, I heard most of the album Born in the U.S.A. throughout my childhood at some point and time, so I think that's the biggest reason I'm fine with those songs. I said once that I'm generally pretty forgiving of most cheesy '80s/early '90s music for that very reason. Not saying that's a rational reason or anything, but there we are.

But, I do like other stuff from Bruce, too, that isn't all '80s pop type sorts of things. I fully see why his stuff from the '70s is considered classic rock and roll, and love those songs as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #891
The Male

Production aside, Dancing In The Dark is a great, great pop song. You could play that one in just about any context, acoustically, electrically, whatever and it still has a highly memorable chord progression, relatable lyrics and an epic chorus.

The only thing to specifically recommend the studio version is Clarence's outro solo. Lovely.

Now.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #892
She's the One

What really changed Dancing in the Dark for me was hearing it all electric guitar, balls-out on some tour a few years ago. It kicked ass and now I really like the song.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #893
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
hate synth-y, infamously misinterpreted fist-pumpy born in the usa?

The best part about that whole misinterpreted thing was when Ronald Fucking Reagan tried to co-opt it without having any idea what it was about.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #894
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
That is pretty hilarious. I mean, really, even without listening to the words, did Springsteen ever present himself as someone who would even remotely associate with the Republican ideals of that day? Ever?

Even more hilarious is how many politicians since then have made similar blunders. There's been no shortage of stories of musicians telling candidates to stop using their music. You'd think they'd learn.

*Insert joke about politcians=morons here*
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #895
The Male

For what it's worth, I would probably rank Born In The USA 8th or so within his discography. It's a good album, and I generally like the singles (Glory Days bugs me), but about half of the songs run together for me, and the production is uniformly awful.

Downbound Train I'll keep, as far as the album tracks go.

Now.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #896
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The only thing to specifically recommend the studio version is Clarence's outro solo. Lovely.
Not forgetting Courtney Cox's appearance in the video
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #897
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Not forgetting Courtney Cox's appearance in the video

Hardcore fans might still be pissed about that. He occasionally would bring boys up to dance, but after that vid, it was only girls.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #898
Blue Crack Addict

I still find it weird to think that's how she first got any sort of notoriety.

My mom's never been a fan of the song "Dancing in the Dark", and I always joke that her reason is just 'cause she wishes she were Courtney in that video .
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #899
She's the One

We all did.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #900
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I actually kinda like that song, too. But then again, I heard most of the album Born in the U.S.A. throughout my childhood at some point and time, so I think that's the biggest reason I'm fine with those songs. I said once that I'm generally pretty forgiving of most cheesy '80s/early '90s music for that very reason. Not saying that's a rational reason or anything, but there we are.
I grew up with the songs as well. I was 12 when the album came out, and I enjoyed the stuff on the radio as much as the next kid (my musical taste was pretty open-minded even then as I was really into stuff like Madonna and "breakdancing" music as well) But you know, there is music from that area that I know isn't necessarily "good" but I get enjoyment in a guilty pleasure sense, like with Duran Duran for example. But something like that, from a major, "serious" artist like Bruce, in retrospect it sounds really fucking cheesy.

Now you look at Tunnel Of Love, and it's a a much less dated album (the title track aside). It's also a more mature one from a writing perspective. It's not as "catchy" overall, but it's a far more substantial work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Production aside, Dancing In The Dark is a great, great pop song. You could play that one in just about any context, acoustically, electrically, whatever and it still has a highly memorable chord progression, relatable lyrics and an epic chorus.

I'll agree with all of that. But the sound on the album is for posterity, unfortunately.

Tags
bruce springsteen