Robert Plant: "A reunion would ruin our legacy" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Robert Plant: "A reunion would ruin our legacy"

Robert Plant: "Led Zep Reunion Will Ruin Our Legacy" | Spin Magazine Online

News
Robert Plant: "Led Zep Reunion Will Ruin Our Legacy"
The singer says the band is incomplete without original drummer John Bonham.
By William Goodman 02.04.09 9:56 AM

Following the hoopla surrounding Led Zeppelin's much discussed reunion, frontman and Grammy nominee Robert Plant has explained why he refuses to allow his old band to tour again.

Plant told Absolute Radio that his reluctance stems from original drummer John Bonham's death in 1980. "The reason that it [the reunion] stopped was because we were incomplete, and we've been incomplete now for 29 years," Plant said.

He said the ferocity Led Zeppelin had in its younger days couldn't be regained without Bonham -- and reuniting now would only taint rock history: "To visit old ground… the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and the comparisons to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice."

Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:03 PM
I completely understand and would have the same position Plant has on this if I were him.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:03 PM
I agree with Plant in a way, but he shouldn't have done the one-off show then. And considering how well it went over, I can't believe he wouldn't think it sounded good enough to tour with.

I already saw Page & Plant tour together, and that was enough for me.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I agree in the sense that they shouldn't do another album, but I don't think there's anything wrong with performing live.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

I actually feel the opposite. Bonham didn't have that much songwriting credit; he'd pop up as a co-writer on one or two songs an album. Granted he's one of the greats and the recordings won't be as good without him, but I think he'd be missed much more from a live perspective, which is where he really let loose.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 05:03 PM
I agree most with this part:

"To visit old ground… the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that and the comparisons to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, it's very hard to go back and meet that head on and do it justice."

Too many people go on long after their usefulness has expired, and while it does add to their longevity and bank accounts, if the quality isn't there, there's no point. Look at how creativity drops as angry, energetic young men with a lot to say become stagnant, rich older men forcing something to say that turns out dull.(Stones, McCartney, Dylan, Sting, soon to be U2??) For Zep, it's even worse, since there has been such a long break in between. IMO if they were going to get back together they should have done it years ago, like right after the 80's reunions sparked interest in the younger generations. Now, the porthole is closed, and there is no reason to put men in their 60s on the stage trying to reenact what 20-somethings created.

On the Bonham issue, you can't help it that he's dead. Using his son as a replacement is the next best thing, better than other bands out there touring with only one original member but keeping the same name. But even Jason is over 40! Nothing may ruin their legacy more than if the others continue on with a replacement, especially if they find him in a contest on a reality show!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I actually feel the opposite. Bonham didn't have that much songwriting credit; he'd pop up as a co-writer on one or two songs an album. Granted he's one of the greats and the recordings won't be as good without him, but I think he'd be missed much more from a live perspective, which is where he really let loose.
I agree there's a huge difference live, but it's quite obvious on the albums, too. His drumming style is quite unique.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Refugee

The talk of a new album flying around a few months ago is the thing that really bothers me. A poor album this late in their careers would be an absolute travesty, and, furthermore, what Plant is doing now is far superior to anything that a "reunited" Zeppelin could produce - in my opinion at least. "Walking into Clarkesdale" is testament to the fact that the Page / Plant magic has largely disintegrated.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

I think Walking Into Clarksdale is fantastic, and probably better than In Through The Out Door, Fool in the Rain notwithstanding.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I think Walking Into Clarksdale is fantastic, and probably better than In Through The Out Door, Fool in the Rain notwithstanding.

Mr. lazarus, I'll give you another reason to use "PLEASE BAN": In Through the Out Door is my fav Led Zep album along with Led Zep II.

I'm not kidding...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I definitely agree with him. The loss of a bandmate is hard. But, I think they should do a tour. They have so many great songs they dont need a new album, I could see that being a disappointment. I watched them online for their one show reunion, that was fabulous. So, why not please their fans?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

He's right.

Pink Floyd could never reunite without Richard Wright, just like Led Zeppelin can never reunite without John Bonham.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

What?

If PF could reunite without Waters, they certainly can reunite without Wright.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:33 PM
This is basically a personal decision, and not really a commentary on the choices other bands might make. I was so grateful that I had the chance to see Dylan last year, for example...I was truly electrified and moved, though someone who saw him years ago may have been disappointed. I’m guessing the same scenario would play out with a Led Zeppelin tour—they could actually be better than many current acts, but it might be different when looked at the through the lens of a life-long fan. Obviously, Plant has the latter in mind, and I respect him for that.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the 'reunion' performance was for charity...with the proceeds going to scholarships to enable younger musicians to forge careers in the industry. That’s pretty weighty symbolism…
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I don't consider A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell to be "reunion" albums.

Tags
led zeppelin, robert plant