Random Music Thread LXIII: Cobbler is disqualified for poor effort. - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 PM
I speak a little French, but understand a lot more than I can speak. Grammar's rough. I know a lot of word definitions though. Also watch a lot of contemporary and old French films, so I'm constantly hearing it.

Picked up a little Italian and Spanish here and there. I'm pretty good with accents so when I do go to other countries I can at least deliver the common tourist phrases and be understood. Did fine in German and Czech. For some reason Hungarian gave me trouble. The accents/vowels were really confusing.

And like NSW, I used to read/write Hebrew. I could still pronounce stuff if necessary as I'm pretty sure I retained the alphabet, but maybe remember the meanings of less than 10 words if I'm lucky.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Russian verb tenses always seemed absurdly simple compared to English to me, though.
I took a semester of Russian and it was easier for me since my native tongue is somewhat similar to it, but I wouldn't say the verb tenses are simpler than English, especially in terms of conjugation.

Interesting comments from some people here who did forget a lot of some foreign language when they didn't use it that much. I fear this will happen to my German, since I won't be living in a German-speaking country anymore. Watching tons of German films might slow down the process at least.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #228
Blue Crack Distributor

What a bunch of cunning linguists you all are!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Interesting comments from some people here who did forget a lot of some foreign language when they didn't use it that much. I fear this will happen to my German, since I won't be living in a German-speaking country anymore. Watching tons of German films might slow down the process at least.
I have a German-born friend who left Germany when he was 20 and has been living in the US for 20 years. He says he's lost quite a bit of German. His English is impeccable. I thought he was from Boston, which is where he first landed and studied English.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #230
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Jeez, even at home he listens to stuff from the douchebag seats.
I lob these things up and see who steps up...it's usually you and LM. Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
And like NSW, I used to read/write Hebrew. I could still pronounce stuff if necessary as I'm pretty sure I retained the alphabet, but maybe remember the meanings of less than 10 words if I'm lucky.
Hell, even when I had full command of reading and writing the language, my vocabulary was extremely limited. Very odd to be able to read this stuff and yet not know what the hell it meant.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #231
Blue Crack Supplier

It's called "indoctrination".

They don't care if you know what it says, they just think that a bunch of kids chanting it together is somehow going to...convince God we care?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #232
Blue Crack Supplier

It was mostly Bar Mitzvah prep, more than anything else. I only studied Hebrew for a year or two, and the second my Bar Mitzvah was over I started to slowly forget the language.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I have a German-born friend who left Germany when he was 20 and has been living in the US for 20 years. He says he's lost quite a bit of German. His English is impeccable. I thought he was from Boston, which is where he first landed and studied English.
There are tons of Croats (my folk) living in immigration all over the place, and it's interesting to see how their knowledge of the language deteriorates over time. Most of them are still quite patriotic and are working on never losing it, but it's interesting to see how they struggle with it at some points. I've met a lot of people in countries like Australia and Sweden and they all follow a similar pattern.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Do you guys get the show Treasure Trader on the History Channel in the states? It's such an awesome show. Bummed to hear that the main guy died last year
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Do you guys get the show Treasure Trader on the History Channel in the states? It's such an awesome show. Bummed to hear that the main guy died last year
Shut the hell up.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I can read a bit of Spanish, and can understand it if the speaker speaks slowly. I took 4 years. I did find that my Spanish got better once I started taking Latin. I used to read a bit of ancient Attic Greek. My father was fluent in Spanish, it was his first language. My Mother however can't speak a word, so no Spanish at home to teach me.

Oh and how did I not know Two Door Cinema Club leaked? Downloading now.

Oh and heading up to San Francisco tomorrow for Outside Lands. Stevie Wonder, Metallica, Jack White, Foo fighters, the Kills!, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Shut the hell up.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My high school had obligatory Latin for two years so that was a good preparation for Spanish. I still have to go to a Spanish-speaking country to really get a hold of the language.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #239
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
I can read a bit of Spanish, and can understand it if the speaker speaks slowly. I took 4 years. I did find that my Spanish got better once I started taking Latin. I used to read a bit of ancient Attic Greek. My father was fluent in Spanish, it was his first language. My Mother however can't speak a word, so no Spanish at home to teach me.

Oh and how did I not know Two Door Cinema Club leaked? Downloading now.

Oh and heading up to San Francisco tomorrow for Outside Lands. Stevie Wonder, Metallica, Jack White, Foo fighters, the Kills!, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, etc.
Hope you guys have a blast!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:01 PM
I think that the most use I have ever gotten out of Rate Your Music is reading these reviews of Lulu. There are some real gems in here:

Lulu by Lou Reed & Metallica : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music