New Manic Street Preachers Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You still have it and took it, so I don't see a difference. :shrug:

Every Stolen Thing Must Go

:wink:

I still buy lots of CDs, dude. Check the highest posters in the "Name the album you just bought" thread! :wink:

I'm just joking around, BUT maybe if you went out and bought Forever Delayed or The Holy Bible it would make up for Send in the Tigers? :wink:

I don't like Everything Must Go.....there are like 2-3 good songs, the rest is pretty average.

This is kinda interesting. Also, I sure hope Yertle is seeing them this coming Monday.

Missing Manic Street Preacher Now "Presumed Dead" | Pitchfork

It's one of rock's bigger mysteries: on the morning of February 1, 1995, 27-year-old Richey James Edwards, guitarist/lyricist for Welsh rabble-rousers Manic Street Preachers, rode off after checking out of a London hotel-- and was never heard from again. His abandoned car turned up two weeks later near a bridge known to attract potential suicides, yet his body was never found, and unsubstantiated claims of Edwards sightings persisted for years.

Yesterday (November 23) Edwards' family made the decision to close this tragic chapter in the guitarist's saga, at least on paper, updating his legal status from "missing" to "presumed dead," according to an NME.com report.

Welsh paper the Western Mail quotes the family's lawyer as saying the decision relects "an acceptance that his affairs have got to be sorted. That's not the same as an acceptance that he is dead."

A spokesperson for the Manics, meanwhile, offered the following to the Western Mail: "The band has been aware this was coming. This is the parents' choice and the band is happy to go with what the parents decide is best. We all dream Richey will come back one day. You hope he is still around somewhere. But it is no longer a realistic hope and if this offers some kind of closure then the band will be content with that."

The remaining Manics-- frontman James Dean Bradfield, bassist Nicky Wire, and drummer Sean Moore-- have been recording a new album with Steve Albini using lyrics penned by Edwards before his disappearance. "Finally it feels like the right time to use them," they wrote on their website earlier this month.

The band is mulling a couple working titles at present-- Journal for Plague Lovers and I Know I Believe in Nothing But It Is My Nothing-- and claims we can look forward to "a record that celebrates the genius of [Edwards'] words, full of love, anger, intelligence, and respect. We have to make this great. Wish us luck."

For the moment, however, the Preachers are proselytizing in Southeast Asia.

MSP:

11-24 Singapore City, Singapore - Fort Canning Park
11-26 Hong Kong, China - HITEC Star Hall
11-30 Bangkok, Thailand - Bangkok 100 Rock Festival

At the official Manics site, they've got the album art up for Journal for Plague Lovers. It's another painting by Jenny Saville, who also did the artwork for The Holy Bible. She's amazing. :love:

Here's the tracklisting:

Peeled Apples
Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
Me and Stephen Hawking
This Joke Sport Severed
Journal For Plague Lovers
She Bathed Herself In A Bath Of Bleach
Facing Page: Top Left
Marlon J.D.
Doors Closing Slowly
All Is Vanity
Pretension/Repulsion
Virginia State Epileptic Colony
William’s Last Words

Some intriguing titles in there. I managed to hear the song "Peeled Apples," which was played on BBC Radio 1 recently. It's heavy, folks. :up:

And it's very good. I'm a bit saddened at seeing all of the Tigers hate. I don't think it's a perfect album by any means, but I think that it was the best album they had released since This is My Truth if not since Everything Must Go.

But back to Journal for Plague Lovers. It's (surprisingly) not all that anthemic. I call that surprising because even the Holy Bible has lots and lots of big choruses over the top of the grime. I think the grime on Journal is not quite so pronounced, but it's definitely a musically raw album compared to everything they've done in the last decade and a half. At this point, I think the best are "Peeled Apples," "Journal for Plague Lovers," "Marlon J.D.," and maybe "This Joke Sport Severed," but all of them are quality. I don't hear any obvious singles ala "Faster" or "PCP," nor do I hear any obvious standouts on the level of "Yes" or "ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart". But again, though the album invites comparisons to the Holy Bible, it is a very different experience. Parallel for sure, but not a carbon copy in any way.

JDB's vocals are killer as always.

so... does anyone want to share? :wink:

i've heard peeled apples and jackie collins'... and jackie collin's is blistering.
love that song.

I found it, quite literally, by searching for it. My bandwidth is quite limited, so I don't want to lose my school internet access as finals are coming up, but you should be able to find it. If not, I'll see if I can't track down the link myself when I'm not getting ready to eat dinner with my wife.

As far as I can tell, this record will be available only as an import in the U.S., available May 19. Not sure how I'm going to get mine yet, but I will, of course, be paying actual money for it.

And I completely agree that Jackie Collins is some choice rock music.

And I completely agree that Jackie Collins is some choice rock music.

it really is.

unfortunately, i haven't really been able to get into anything else yet since i first heard the entire thing today. peeled apples is also quite good, but thus far jackie collins'... is easily my favourite.

After a week or so, this is probably my most listened-to album of the year. Don't know if I'd call it my favorite yet, but it's close.

I think if I had to rank the tracks at this point, the top five would look something like this.

1. Journal for Plague Lovers
2. Peeled Apples.
3. Jackie Collins' Existential Question Time
4. Virginia State Epileptic Colony
5. This Joke Sport Severed/Me and Stephen Hawking/William's Last Words

It's hard to decide between those three. I wanted to ask the obvious question about William's Last Words... everyone else taken with the standard reading of the song as Richey's suicide note? I think it's absolutely crushingly sad, and it achieves that effect without being self-loathing or even self-pitying. It just sounds like someone tired of life. It's brutal but beautiful, if I can call it that comfortably. I also think it's interesting that Nicky is doing lead vocals - I can't help but think that's a conscious decision to make it stand out from James. Placing it at the end of the album (not counting the hidden track) really makes me feel like they see it the same way, and it's just highlighted by not being the MSP sound, musically or vocally. Such a sad song.

I've listened to the album a bit, it doesn't blow me away, but it is a good solid album. The lyrics sound unfinished and the melody's are weak at times but that's to be expected. Really I half expected this to be terrible but overall I'm impressed. It's a solid album, it's good, a lot better than I thought it would be.

Got everything by the Manics
Amazing band

Not sure if i will like this new one though - was never a massive fan of most of the richie era bar 4 or 5 tracks

Got everything by the Manics
Amazing band

Not sure if i will like this new one though - was never a massive fan of most of the richie era bar 4 or 5 tracks

Most of the singles from the first few albums are great, The Holy Bible is near perfect. But there were a lot of duds on the first two, I'll grant you that.

But I would say the same thing about the band post-Richey. I really love Everything Must Go and Send Away the Tigers, but am meh about the albums that came between, except for a few singles and other tracks.

This is my truth tell me yours is a quality album
I was listening to the holy bible today and there are some belters mixed in with some rubbish ones

Gold Against the Soul is more friendly on the ears overall

Everything must go is a classic - i love know your enemy too

This is my truth tell me yours is a quality album
I was listening to the holy bible today and there are some belters mixed in with some rubbish ones

Gold Against the Soul is more friendly on the ears overall

Everything must go is a classic - i love know your enemy too

I think Know Your Enemy is incredibly inconsitent - the music is generally great, but the songs aren't memorable to me at all. And even though This is My Truth was my first MSP album, it is by far my least favorite of the ones that I own. I really don't think anything on The Holy Bible is rubbish, although there are tracks I don't like as much. Everything Must Go may be the only album we agree on, which is okay, because it's awesome.

I think Know Your Enemy is incredibly inconsitent - the music is generally great, but the songs aren't memorable to me at all. And even though This is My Truth was my first MSP album, it is by far my least favorite of the ones that I own. I really don't think anything on The Holy Bible is rubbish, although there are tracks I don't like as much. Everything Must Go may be the only album we agree on, which is okay, because it's awesome.

I agree with every word written here (except Truth was not my first MSP album)

I don't get the love for Jackie Collins' Existential Question Time, the lyrics to it are seriously awful it's probably the one moment on the album that has lyrics as bad as I imagined they would be

I don't get the love for Jackie Collins' Existential Question Time, the lyrics to it are seriously awful it's probably the one moment on the album that has lyrics as bad as I imagined they would be

the blowout at the end... i love his singing. he's got just this powerful voice.

what are the lyrics anyway? i can't find them anywhere.

I just heard it now for the first time (listened to it twice). As UL described the album, it's not exactly "anthemic" for a lead single. I'm not overly impressed at this point, but I love the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom